non-milk for cereal

westjones

DIS Veteran
Anyone have a favorite type of 'non' milk to put on cereal? In the past year or so I have noticed that milk and I don't do well together, and as much as I hate the idea of giving up milk, I can tell I need to cut back.

So I need to try something new for my morning cereal. Any suggestions?

And has anyone tried those meds that help you digest milk better? Do they work? And if so, do they last all day, or for just the meal you are having at the time?
Thanks!

I use almond milk for pretty much everything that requires milk. I use a vanilla unsweetened almond milk for my cereals. :) Hope you find an alternative you enjoy too!

I use almond milk for pretty much everything that requires milk. I use a vanilla unsweetened almond milk for my cereals. :) Hope you find an alternative you enjoy too!

Well I am going to the store today, so I will pick this up and give it a try. I hope I find something too. Thanks!

DS is lactose intolerant. He used lactaid for years and it did help, but not so much anymore.
He uses almond milk or rice milk. I use rice milk when I cook for him.

My parents love vanilla soy milk on cereal. :)

I don't put amything on cereal but for smoothies and protein shakes I use almond milk. I like trader Joe's non sweetened vanilla. It only has 35 calories a cup :cool1:.

While I do love regular skim or 1% milk, I do think almond milk is great! Very creamy and rich. The vanilla flavor is great in lattes and recipes, too. :thumbsup2

I love almond milk on cereal. To me, it tastes better than "milk-milk".

I gave up box cereal, always ate it dry anyway, years ago and just finished my own right before this post.

A cup+/- of rolled uncooked oats in 16oz. cleaned out Oikos yogurt container. Drizzle honey and stir with fork until moist. Shake on cinnamon to liking, for me a lot. Add freshly ground, me-a tablespoon+, or store bought flax seed with cinnamon mixed in the flax seed. Stir mixture and add more honey until moisture is right. Add almonds, walnuts, raisins, blueberries, dark chocolate chips/nibs anything else to your liking. If desired, you can warm mixture in a micro bowl for 30+/- seconds before adding chocolate, raisins, blueberries to have it warm. Can eat all or part, put lid on container-refrigerate and then have remainder later. Yes, I use container for my bowl.

no milk because it is so moist with honey or maple syrup

Right now I am eating granola wilth Soy milk. Normally I use almond milk (the unsweetened kind) but I had a coupon that made the soy milk free. Both are great for cereal and smoothies. I prefer the plain unsweetened variety buy sometimes the vanilla is good for smoothies. I also use the plain unsweetened varieties for cooking and baking with great resaults.

I prefer almond milk - it seems to be "lighter" (soy milk feels thicker to me). I use the unsweetened vanilla with cereals or granola. I like unflavored soy for things like mashed potatoes. For smoothies it's always almond, tho!

I used to use soy milk before I started having problems with it and switched to rice milk but rice milk is thinner than regular milk.

In the past few months I have started using coconut milk in everything. I mostly use vanilla but I keep sweetened and unsweetened on hand just in case. It is thicker than rice milk and has a similar consistency to regular milk.

Silk unsweetened organic........the green one
I have found this one to be best, I like to add it to my tea, also. :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone! DH went to the store for me and brought back 'Silk" which I think is a soy milk. He didn't see the almond milk but next time I go I will try to find that.

I've had non sweetned almond milk in coffee and on cereal and it's fine. I don't like the sweetened or flavored stuff.

Friend of mine has a friend who is having problems with milk. She put's non dairly creamer on her oatmeal and cereal. Says it tastes the most like "milk" and doesn't bother her stomache.

I actually have tried this on oatmeal and honestly it's not awful.

I buy the almond milk that is shelf stable. At walmart it's on the shelf in the cereal aisle with the lunch box milks and other milk replacments and natural cereals. It's cheaper than the cold stuff. I think it's blue almond.

I ONLY use it on cereal and coffee and then only sometimes when I get on a kick of it in my coffee other than that I just use regular fat free milk or when traveling I use the Horizons 1% milk boxes. I love my milk and if I'm drinking it straight it's real milk. (I only use the substitute because of calories and stuff, I am not lactose intolerant or anti milk).

DD and I use calcium fortified, vanilla-flavored rice milk on our cereal. When we're at the world, we use vanilla Silk soy milk. We also really like Silk vanilla almond milk, but only for drinking. :)

DD and I use calcium fortified, vanilla-flavored rice milk on our cereal. When we're at the world, we use vanilla Silk soy milk. We also really like Silk vanilla almond milk, but only for drinking. :)

Oh that is good to know they have this at Disney World. I'm not thrilled to have to give up my dairy, but for the past year I can tell, dairy is no longer my friend and I need to make some changes. Thanks for the suggestions!

You will have to experiment to see what you like the best.

I use Silk Vanilla Light Soy Milk. I use it cereal, coffee, baking, etc. I can not drink milk at all and lactaid does not work for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter