Non-medical treatment for high blood pressure?

robinb

DIS veteran
I had my annual physical last month and I am in what's called "pre-hypertension". My blood pressure was just a smidgen shy of Stage 1 high blood pressure (I think it was 125/80). I am in my late 40's and about 40 lbs overweight. I had a rapid weight gain in the fall where I gained 15 pounds in 2 months for no apparent reason (no change in eating/exercise) but I lost about 5 lbs since then. I have *always* had really good blood pressure and I was floored when it came back higher. My doctor wanted to put me on drugs right away, but I want to try to reduce my blood pressure on my own first and I have a few months to do it.

Has anyone reduced their blood pressure on their own? What steps did you take? My doctor gave me no advise on this other than to lose weight. I think she was mad at me for not jumping on the pharmaceutical bandwagon.

I had my annual physical last month and I am in what's called "pre-hypertension". My blood pressure was just a smidgen shy of Stage 1 high blood pressure (I think it was 125/80). I am in my late 40's and about 40 lbs overweight. I had a rapid weight gain in the fall where I gained 15 pounds in 2 months for no apparent reason (no change in eating/exercise) but I lost about 5 lbs since then. I have *always* had really good blood pressure and I was floored when it came back higher. My doctor wanted to put me on drugs right away, but I want to try to reduce my blood pressure on my own first and I have a few months to do it.

Has anyone reduced their blood pressure on their own? What steps did you take? My doctor gave me no advise on this other than to lose weight. I think she was mad at me for not jumping on the pharmaceutical bandwagon.

Absolutely: cut out the salt.

Have you had your thyroid checked? This could explain the weight gain and the high blood pressure. Go to a doctor and have everything physical checked out before you go on blood pressure medication. Diet, exercise, etc. can help lower blood pressure.

Have you had your thyroid checked? This could explain the weight gain and the high blood pressure. Go to a doctor and have everything physical checked out before you go on blood pressure medication. Diet, exercise, etc. can help lower blood pressure.
Yes, I had her check my thyroid when I had the rapid weight gain. It came back fine.

:sad1: Thanks. I *am* a salt monster (Star Trek reference) so that's going to hurt the most! Any hints on low salt herbal blends to wean me off my salt habit?

Once on the Biggest Lower a trainer mentioned that cayenne pepper was a surprisingly good substitute for salt. I hope my memory is right. Does anyone else remember if it was in fact cayenne pepper that Bob recommended? It was something surprising.

I have it too....a family history actually. I never thought that I would really get it, but I do. I am taking a prescription-Benicar. I have cut back a bit on the salt-try to walk more-etc. (As far as a substitute for salt-try Mrs. Dash)
I also know to stay away from packaged food but sometimes it's just quick & easy. I need to work harder at this too-hope some more people respond!!

Maybe it was red pepper instead of cayenne pepper. I recall my wife bought it, and we had some little trouble finding it. Or white pepper?

I looked on the Biggest Loser website but could not find any information. One person did write that they use celery seed as a salt substitute. Not ground celery, but celery seed. I may try that myself.

I was very borderline last year too.

The biggest help: GET MOVING. I started walking and it dropped down very quickly to the normal range. I also managed to drop 5 lbs. Dropping most of the junk foods and processed stuff will help a great deal.

I'm with you, I wouldn't try meds at this point. I think it's great that you want to try to do it on your own. It's the best way. I think doctor's get frustrated because they try so often to get patients to do better with eating and exercise. Majority don't stick with it so they just prescribe meds.

I was in the same situation. I exercised more, ate less and healthier, lost weight, and reduced my salt intake. Problem solved. Then I excerised less, ate more and tastier, gained weight and increase my salt intake. Darned blood pressure went up again. Now I'm back to exercising more, eating less and healthier, etc.

Everything seems to get better over time - TVs, computers, cars, clothes, etc. Why are doctors stuck with the same stupid early 20th century solutions of diet and exercise? Invent me a comfy couch that tones my muscles and burns my fat without me having to do all this stupid excerise. Heck, the only thing that worked at all was that stupid Olestra in the potatoe chips, but my toilet seat isn't comfortable enough for those.

diet and exercise.
The added weight makes a huge difference.
I have been on BP meds for a number of years. Lost 20 pounds, exercised and got the meds cut in half. Still exercising and need to get another 20 pounds off (subborn ones :rolleyes: ). Hopefully that will do it.
Also have a family history here.

Good luck.

I lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago, and before that my blood pressure had been high. After losing the weight, blood pressure went back to normal, and has remained normal ever since. I also started exercising daily, and I think that probably helped. I also had high cholestoral before the weight loss, and afterwards it went back to normal. Good luck to you!

I have been on meds for high blood pressure for a couple of years now. I also take Benicar as another person mentioned. I really really hate taking it, but I tried losing weight (yeah right) and walking more etc. My pressure is actually good now so I guess the meds are helping. I would try diet/exercise and see if that works, but if not don't be too afraid to take the meds, they can help you and you can always keep trying other things and maybe go off the pills sometime. Good Luck!!

I was in your shoes last year. I had always had normal to low blood pressure, often prompting jokes from nurses "are you alive?"

Then last year it skyrocketed to dangerously high. I was put on Metoprolol to bring it down.

A month ago, I decided I needed to get this under control naturally. I adopted a low carb lifestyle - Atkins to be exact. Now that the AMA has said that low carb is one of the healthiest diets, and I know from experience I can lose easily with it, I decided to give it another try.

The other benefits of low carb is that, according to Dr.Atkins (was a cardiologist), it is a natural blood pressure control. His last book, before he died "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution" published in 2002 goes in depth about blood pressure and low carb.

I have been doing it for a month as of tomorrow, along with adding some exercise and vitamins (per Atkins): coenzyme Q10, Carnitine and Taurine. I have lost 15 lbs, and best of all my blood pressure went from 165/105 to now in the normal range without meds.

And...I am a salt-a-holic and really haven't done much in trying to break this vice. (one vice at a time) So, it is working without me giving up my salt.

There is a great support group on Spark People:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_individual.asp?gid=482

**Always make sure your doctor knows and/or approves of any major changes**

My mom had this problem too. She started walking 2-2.5 miles a day at a pretty decent pace, it's helped keep it under control, she no longer needs medications to keep it under control. :thumbsup2

Yes, I had her check my thyroid when I had the rapid weight gain. It came back fine.

I would ask to see the lab sheet on that. Many times the labs will give ranges, especially with thyroid results that can show normal as being as high as 5.0 (although most labs now have reduced that to 3.5) which in that range can definitely cause problems, especially weight gain. Any doctor other than an endocronologist would tell you that your numbers are normal as long as they fall into the lab range. If your thyroid is higher than a 2.0 (with the optimum number being 1.0) you may experience issues with weight. Ask your doc to give you your TSH number.

Since you are in your late 40's you could be experiencing weight gain from peri-menopause. I think you are right in not taking any medication right now. It wasn't until recently that 120/80 was consider a normal blood pressure....it has now been lowered to 110/70. Call me a cynic, but I think it has more to do with the drug companies.
As for advice, I think that trying to lose some of the weight by diet (limit salt, drink more water) and exercise and use transcendental meditation. Food that are natural diuretics like cukes, tomatoes, beets, etc added to your regular diet may help too....you should increase your potassium (to 3500 mg) by eating bananas, yogurt, cantaloupes, etc will help get rid of some sodium in your body.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter