Non-gag gift ideas for white elephant

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
I need to buy several white elephant gifts, $20 max, there will be men and women, ranging in ages from 17-70. Any ideas other than typical food, lotion, candles, ornaments, etc? For one I may do a bottle of wine and chocolate, but I need a few more ideas. Thanks!

Walmart had those "Yard of Candy" - they have been a hit with our white elephant gift exchanges the past few years

$10 gift cards to local fast food, discount stores, clothing store--packaged up nicely. I know you said you didn't really want the typical food items, but maybe $10 movies + candy or micro popcorn. Gift card to the flower shop with a vase.

I think the packaging is often the most important part so I will get a really great reusable container and then put the gift cards inside.

Scratch-off lottery tickets have always seemed to be big hits at the holiday swap/door prize/white elephant events I've attended. (But I love the previous poster's idea of a flashlight - who doesn't need a good one of these?)

LOL - when I first read the OP question, my first thought was a Maglite flashlight!

Other thoughts - fuzzy, soft blanket/throw, a first aid kit

My grandmother always brought "useful" items for white elephant gifts - tide, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. (We all thought it was weird, but the ladies always fought over the Tide. My mother said it was at least something she could use.)

Oh, Bed, Bath and Beyond had an all purpose cutter-screwdriver-thing. I gave these two years ago to the men in the family and they are readily used....by their wives.

I was in the liquor store today and they have some really nice mini bottle collections of flavored vodkas. Or you can make your own gift bag of minis.

I've done some food related gifts. For example, a pasta dinner: pasta, sauce, breadsticks, chocolate.

Barnes and Noble gift card.

If it is *before* Christmas--several good rolls of wrapping paper and tape could be a good gift. :D

Something for car care--Armour All Gift Sets

Organization boxes for after the holidays--maybe a wreath shaped one and one for ornaments. kwim?

Rechargeable batteries and the charger. Or a mixture of all kinds of batteries.

Tervis tumbler/mug with lid (made in USA!), can usually be found at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Sharpies and other fun stuff from Office store.

Emergency kit for the car (flare, sign, first aid, etc)

Stamps and blank notes/cards.

Melissa

LOL - when I first read the OP question, my first thought was a Maglite flashlight!

Other thoughts - fuzzy, soft blanket/throw, a first aid kit

My grandmother always brought "useful" items for white elephant gifts - tide, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. (We all thought it was weird, but the ladies always fought over the Tide. My mother said it was at least something she could use.)

Oh, Bed, Bath and Beyond had an all purpose cutter-screwdriver-thing. I gave these two years ago to the men in the family and they are readily used....by their wives.

When I read this, I thought that I could get a bottle of Gain detergent and then pick it myself... I love that stuff but am too cheap to buy it!

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas, this really gives me a lot to work with, especially for the guys, who I was totally lost about!

I need to buy several white elephant gifts, $20 max, there will be men and women, ranging in ages from 17-70. Any ideas other than typical food, lotion, candles, ornaments, etc? For one I may do a bottle of wine and chocolate, but I need a few more ideas. Thanks!

Nice soap and bath bombs.

There is a local place here that makes them. http://www.skinkistsoap.com/

Last year for one of ours I decided to do a more "guy" one since sometimes they get stuck with lotions or "girl" ones. I did windshield wiper fluid, goo gone and rainex. It was the most fought over. Also the year before my brother did a gas can and it was really popular.

Small appliances: crock pot, waffle maker, George Foreman grill, etc. You can pick up decent deals on these type of things on Black Friday (hopefully online if you are like me and hate braving the crowds).

I recently picked up a Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker. Seemingly a ridiculous gadget, but they get great reviews and everyone who has one seems to love it. I read on another thread where one was the hit of someone's white elephant exchange. They run more than $20 normally, but you should be able to get it for less than $20 if you watch for a sale - I picked one up for $15 during Tuesday's Kohls sale. Looks like H-E-B will have it for $15 on Black Friday. (There is also a $5 rebate available, but it requires the UPC and I know giving a gift minus the UPC might not be something people want to do.)

Car vacuum cleaners and electric screwdrivers were fought over at our office Christmas parties. Also, lots of people seem to collect snowmen and they were fought over, too.

Booze always seems to be a big hit. I always thought a mixing bowl, spatula, sprinkles, cookie cutters and good sugar cookie recipe would be a good idea.

What about board games or card games? Apples to Apples or the card game Phase 10, Yahtzee..etc. We love game night here :)

This post is making me wish I had one of these to go to :(

Obviously the gift cards are always the ones "stolen" the most at our family functions. But we have had a few things that went for every round. A makeup kit was one thing that was stolen over and over and over. Same with a stud finder and a tripod flashlight. The guys went nuts over that flashlight! Grandmas homemade fudge along with the gift card was a big hit, so kind of a spin on just a gift card. I got a big Tupperware Thatsa bowl one year and a wrapping paper organizer one year and love both of those.

I saw on Pinterest a largish reusable jar that they put a toilet paper tube in the middle of and then filled the jar with M&Ms around the tube. Inside the tube they put cash. Sounds like a good gift to me! Plus a nice surprise if no one opens the jar before the game is over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter