Non-buffet/AYCE dining suggestions for kids who love characters?

MomTo3PrincessesInNJ

DIS Veteran
In December we're returning to Disney for Christmas break -- and now we'll have a 10 year old (booooooo hisssssss). In the past we have had buffet heavy ADRs because all 3 of my girls LOVE to meet the characters and buffets were easy to feed everyone quickly.

Though I love the ease of buffet dining at Disney, I can NOT in good conscience pay for my 10 year old daughter to eat at any of them (I'm looking at you, $51 dinner @ Chef Mickey!).

So, where are some places to go with great Disney atmosphere/theming that my 10 yr old can order from the kids menu?? I'm open to all options -- including resorts.

Thanks!

Our kids love Sci-Fi and Be Our Guest. A 10 year old should be able to order off the kids menu at either of these:thumbsup2

Our kids love Sci-Fi and Be Our Guest. A 10 year old should be able to order off the kids menu at either of these:thumbsup2

Neither is a character meal though. The Beast is usually in his study at dinner only at BOG. But it is not a character meal and he is not guaranteed to be there.
OP I can't think of any right now

Neither is a character meal though. The Beast is usually in his study at dinner only at BOG. But it is not a character meal and he is not guaranteed to be there.
OP I can't think of any right now

I think what the OP is looking for is suggestions for non-character meals for kids who love character meals.

Things like T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe come to mind of the top of my head, along with the aforementioned Sci-Fi

I think what the OP is looking for is suggestions for non-character meals for kids who love character meals.

Things like T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe come to mind of the top of my head, along with the aforementioned Sci-Fi

I read it the other way because of this sentence:
" In the past we have had buffet heavy ADRs because all 3 of my girls LOVE to meet the characters"
I apologize if I am wrong.

I read it the other way because of this sentence:
" In the past we have had buffet heavy ADRs because all 3 of my girls LOVE to meet the characters"
I apologize if I am wrong.

Oh, I get it, and read it three times before realizing (I think) what the OP was looking for.

The way I read it is they're looking for something with real Disney feel, something visually stimulating for the kids, but without having to pay extra for the characters.

Oh, I get it, and read it three times before realizing (I think) what the OP was looking for.

The way I read it is they're looking for something with real Disney feel, something visually stimulating for the kids, but without having to pay extra for the characters.

Yes I see your point. I no longer know which the OP was asking for, because I see it can be read both ways. :-)

All of the character meals are fixed price based on age. Honestly with 2 adults and 3 kids, I would juust suck up and deal with the extra $20 that it will cost you to pay the adult meal price for her. I mean, in the context of a multi thousand $$ disney vacation, what is the difference between $190 for dinner for 5 and $210 for dinner for 5? IMO not worth worrying about. I know it doesn't feel very good to be paying adult prices for your 10 year old but just offering a little bit of perspective. If Chef Mickeys is that huge a hit is it worth missing out over $20?

There are many highly-themed places that have "normal" menus, like Skipper Canteen, Sci-Fi Dine In, Whispering Canyon.

But Disney has never had an open menu, non-buffet/AYCTE character meal. I think we can all understand why that is so. Everyone would order a drink and a cupcake for a table of 8 to meet all the characters (and most character meals have 3-5 of them, so tables turn slowly). The revenue would be a disaster.

Sorry for the confusion... I know all character meals are fixed priced, so I was looking for fun, themed, restaurants. Thank you for the suggestions.

I know we'll end up with a buffet or 2 (probably breakfast due to cost) but I was looking for other options I hadn't thought of. I need to just get over the fact that I'm paying for the experience and NOT the food she's consuming... but it's hard!

Trex and Rainforest sound like they'll fit the bill! We're actually still up in the air about getting park tickets -- we're camping at Fort Wilderness and this will be our 8th trip in 1.5 years, so we might do a resort only vacation. If we end up going in the parks then Sci Fi will be a great option, too!

Sorry for the confusion... I know all character meals are fixed priced, so I was looking for fun, themed, restaurants. Thank you for the suggestions.

I know we'll end up with a buffet or 2 (probably breakfast due to cost) but I was looking for other options I hadn't thought of. I need to just get over the fact that I'm paying for the experience and NOT the food she's consuming... but it's hard!

Trex and Rainforest sound like they'll fit the bill! We're actually still up in the air about getting park tickets -- we're camping at Fort Wilderness and this will be our 8th trip in 1.5 years, so we might do a resort only vacation. If we end up going in the parks then Sci Fi will be a great option, too!

I know it is hard to get over it and hope you didn't take my post as condescending! Just big picture it is not a huge difference. Also there are plenty of other fab 5 character meals that are not as pricey as chef mickeys - just the differential between CM and other choices would make up for the extra $20 - though most of the mickey options are in park.

Beaches and Cream and Whispering Canyon for non parks and since you are camping, I'd do Trail's End. Even though it's a buffet, it's pretty cheap for Disney. It's one of my kids faves.

I know it is hard to get over it and hope you didn't take my post as condescending! Just big picture it is not a huge difference.

I did not -- and you're totally right! We'll be "saving" money by staying @ the Fort because we eat more than half our meals in our motorhome when we take it to Disney, so I shouldn't be whining :crazy2:

I'm thinking 2 character meals (Chef Mickey bfast, 1900 PF dinner) and then Trex and another Disney Springs place tbd.

Thanks for the help!

I did not -- and you're totally right! We'll be "saving" money by staying @ the Fort because we eat more than half our meals in our motorhome when we take it to Disney, so I shouldn't be whining :crazy2:

I'm thinking 2 character meals (Chef Mickey bfast, 1900 PF dinner) and then Trex and another Disney Springs place tbd.

Thanks for the help!
People love Raglan Road. I have never been and sad that once again I can't seem to fit it in, darn!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter