Noisy neighbours..arrrgh!

I don't understand why people move into areas where neighbors are close and then complain about what said neighbors do. If you (that is a general you) don't like noise, whether its screeching tweens, lawn mowers, balls hitting a fence or neighbors talking and even yelling, why do you live close enough to someone to be able to hear those things?

I'm sorry OP that you are annoyed that your neighbors are enjoying the summer weather with friends, but is that really a reason to hate them? That seems extreme.

It isn't possible to live away from people in most major cities. When I lived in Los Angeles, there was simply no where to go and still be able to commute to work in under 2 hours each way.

We live in a smaller city now, but it is still an hour commute or more if you want to live where you aren't close to your neighbors.

It isn't possible to live away from people in most major cities. When I lived in Los Angeles, there was simply no where to go and still be able to commute to work in under 2 hours each way.

We live in a smaller city now, but it is still an hour commute or more if you want to live where you aren't close to your neighbors.

I live in the suburbs where 80% of the people here commute to NYC. Its a choice people make, there are plenty of areas around where one can find a place to live and not be on top of your neighbor. If having quiet is important than it should be on your list when looking for home, just like a 2nd bathroom is.
Hating your neighbor because you don't like the normal summer time noise they make means you are the one with the problem, and it shouldn't be your neighbor that you are mad at.

LOL. Some of us have to be at work at 3 am, and go to bed at 7 pm so that wouldn't work.
My DH routinely goes to bed around 6 pm (his start time is anywhere from 3 to 4 am). It is really bad for him in the summer, when people are routinely out and about until 10 or later (and why not? It's beautiful in Minnesota in the summer!). He has learned a variety of techniques to help him, the biggest of which is a LOUD white noise machine (in his case, a fan). He can sleep with the white noise which blocks out all the annoying noises from outside.

I fear we ARE those people at times.... but not daily....:bitelip: when we have a picnic on the back deck, my friends talk loudly and we laugh,and it can get noisy....(no alcohol needed,we tend to be pretty loud together) and I feel for my uber-quiet neighbors who have picnics next door and you wouldn't even know there are 30 people in their yard.... what I'm trying to say is, as long as it's not in your face obnoxious (like blasting music into your house at all hours) but just people enjoying the summer evenings, maybe a white noise machine would help you? most people I know don't go to sleep before 9 pm.... last night we had some friends over,we ate outside,and talked till dark,which was about 9:15.... (this is different from purposeful obnoxious noise)

Best thing I did was replace my windows with double-pane glass. In real noisy situations, triple or quad pane is great for road and aircraft noise.

My DH routinely goes to bed around 6 pm (his start time is anywhere from 3 to 4 am). It is really bad for him in the summer, when people are routinely out and about until 10 or later (and why not? It's beautiful in Minnesota in the summer!). He has learned a variety of techniques to help him, the biggest of which is a LOUD white noise machine (in his case, a fan). He can sleep with the white noise which blocks out all the annoying noises from outside.
I worked graveyard shift (11 pm to 7 am) for 25 years and slept during the day. I have a ceiling fan that blocks most noise, in extreme cases, in the olden days of analog TV's, I could also tune the TV to an unused channel and turn up the volume on the snow.
But, I slept through them putting a new roof on my house, so I guess I adapted.

I live in the suburbs where 80% of the people here commute to NYC. Its a choice people make, there are plenty of areas around where one can find a place to live and not be on top of your neighbor. If having quiet is important than it should be on your list when looking for home, just like a 2nd bathroom is.
Hating your neighbor because you don't like the normal summer time noise they make means you are the one with the problem, and it shouldn't be your neighbor that you are mad at.

It isn't that easy for some people.

Heck, we live on 2.5 acres and can still hear our neighbors, who have 7 acres, when they have their wild parties, which include riding their quads around until after midnight. Thankfully that isn't very often, but it is irritating to have their music blaring and the quads going until the wee hours of the morning.

Living in the suburbs doesn't guarantee quiet either.

And as far as commuting 4 solid hours a day, some people don't have a choice. If you have kids, it isn't fair to them to live in an area where you work 8 hours and commute an additional 4 per day. It just isn't.

People SHOULD be considerate and not make so much noise that a neighbor can't function. Are they? Not always, that is for sure, but they should be.

We must have great windows. I can't hear a thing and we have kids running around being loud at all times it seems, including my own. Once I come in and shut the door, nothing. We don't have our windows open really ever though. My kids have allergies so we keep them shut and the air on as soon as it warms up enough to open them. I'd turn up the tv or replace windows if your that unhappy and a little noise in your house doesn't block their noise out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter