• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No wonder there are so many people with eating disorders

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
Why do people on tv insist they wear a size that there is not a change in hell they wear?

For instance, last night on the Biggest Loser, there was a girl who was trying on clothes. She weighs probably 170 pounds or so and is 5'6". She tried on a skirt and said that it was way to big and the girl she was with asked "do you have anything smaller than a size 12?". Now, there is NO WAY that a person who weighs 170 pounds and 5' 6" wears a size 10 or most likely even a 12.

Again on these weight loss commercials, they claim they wear a size that there is no way they wear.

Why do they do this? It is no wonder there is such a problem with eating disorders. :sad2:

Rant over.

Kristine

People definitely need to get away from sizes. Mariah Carey is the best example. She's in fine shape, but insists on wearing clothes at least two times smaller than she should be. As a result, she looks heavy.

I agree! I find the commercial where she says "I went from a size 22 to a 4"...she does not wear a 4, you can tell by looking at her right there on the TV. :scared1:

I thought the same thing. The only thing that I could come up with is that some brands of clothes are a lot different in sizing. I generally wear a size 10. However, if I wear a certain brand of jeans, I buy them in a 4 or 6. It would be a lot easier to buy clothes if everyone's idea of a size 10 (or whatever) was the same.

Why do people on tv insist they wear a size that there is not a change in hell they wear?

For instance, last night on the Biggest Loser, there was a girl who was trying on clothes. She weighs probably 170 pounds or so and is 5'6". She tried on a skirt and said that it was way to big and the girl she was with asked "do you have anything smaller than a size 12?". Now, there is NO WAY that a person who weighs 170 pounds and 5' 6" wears a size 10 or most likely even a 12.

Again on these weight loss commercials, they claim they wear a size that there is no way they wear.

Why do they do this? It is no wonder there is such a problem with eating disorders. :sad2:

Rant over.

Kristine

it is possible...the way my body is built, I used to weigh right around 170 and am a little over 5' 5" and used to wear an 11/12 in most things and a 10 in other things...so there is a way, b/c I used to be that person. You have to realize that some people's bodies are built differently and that sizes aren't tied to a specific weight/height combination.

A lot of could be the way she is built but a big culprit is vanity sizing.

Just yesterday I found a work suit in my closet that I used to wear about 8 years ago. I was 10 lbs lighter when I used to wear the suit. The suit is made by a brand I currently wear today. I tried that suit on and could not get the skirt zipped up or buttoned. The suit was a size 10. Eight years later, 10+lbs heavier, I now wear a size 8 in that suit. Ridiculous.

So while it seems odd that a 170-lb woman would wear under a size 12, just know that today's size 10 was yesterday's size 12 or 14.

At 5'6" and 170, she's surely bigger than a 10/12! But wouldn't this be the opposite of causing eating disorders? It's telling us that larger people wear a smaller size. Usually the body distortion associated with eating disorders is that the person feels they are larger than they really are - like a size 2 thinking she's obese, not the other way.

I guess it does matter how your body is built. I am 5'10" and around 170. I usually where a 12.

At 5'6" and 170, she's surely bigger than a 10/12! But wouldn't this be the opposite of causing eating disorders? It's telling us that larger people wear a smaller size. Usually the body distortion associated with eating disorders is that the person feels they are larger than they really are - like a size 2 thinking she's obese, not the other way.

I look at it like this. If someone watching that show is the same height, same size and wears a size 14, they are going to think there is something wrong with them.

I guess it does matter how your body is built. I am 5'10" and around 170. I usually where a 12.

But you are MUCH taller than 5' 6". That is why I said that someone who is 170 AND 5'6". I can believe that someone who is 5' 10" and 170 wears a smaller size.

Kristine

I love Gap, Old Navy, and Ann Taylor Loft - they make me feel much smaller than Target! LOL! My dd13 is about 5'4", 115 pounds, and wears a zero at Old Navy, and a six at other places.

I always wondered the same thing...where do these people find these "sizes"?:rotfl2:

I know what I weigh etc. and I know what size I am and these people who say "I wear a size 6!" and I KNOW she's bigger than I am! I tell my hubby "I need to shop where she does because if SHE is a size 6 then I'm a 2!" LOL

I thought the same thing. The only thing that I could come up with is that some brands of clothes are a lot different in sizing. I generally wear a size 10. However, if I wear a certain brand of jeans, I buy them in a 4 or 6. It would be a lot easier to buy clothes if everyone's idea of a size 10 (or whatever) was the same.

I think right there is the problem! No woman really has a clue what size they are because there is NO standard as far as I can tell. It's just some random number thrown on the tag. :lmao: My daughter is a Juniors size 0 or 1. We were discussing this when I was her age, I had to explain to her I had no idea what a size 0 or even 00 was because there was no such thing when I was growing up. This was when were were trying to figure out if a Junior 0 is the equivelent of a child's 14-16, etc...

DH wonders why I literally have to try on everything before buying it especially jeans. He goes in and a 32" x 32" or 36" x 36" is the same no matter what brand. 32 inches is 32 inches -- at least that's a standard.

Of course, then you add the "Small, Medium & Large" in there and it really confuses everything because I'm pretty sure there is no standard for that at all.

I'm 5'7" and 180 and wear a 12. At about 170 I should be able to get back into my 10's. Here's the weird thing though. Back when I was 145 (about 5 years ago) I wore 10's as well. I can swing almost 40 pounds and only go up one size!

Sizes are just all so different. I'm only 5"4' and just under 180 and have size 12 pants and skirts that fit well. I'll also go into some stores and won't be able to zip up a size 14.

DH wonders why I literally have to try on everything before buying it especially jeans. He goes in and a 32" x 32" or 36" x 36" is the same no matter what brand. 32 inches is 32 inches -- at least that's a standard.

I'm so jealous of guys for this reason! I can buy a pair of pants for my DH when I'm out and know they will fit, but there is no way he could just pick up a pair of pants for me. I know I've tried on 8 different jeans at Target in all different sizes and cuts, and not a single one will fit right.

OP, I totally think a 5"6' person who weighs around 170 could wear something in a 10 or 12. It all depends on the brand.

I'm an inch or 2 shorter and I assure there IS a way that someone of that size could wear a size 10. Depends on the maker.

Also--170 on 5'6" is a lot different than 170 on 5'4". Never mind also that part of that weight is muscle where on me it is often flubber. (though right now it is baby!!!!).

This is why women sizing stinks! But for the place she was shopping at, it is totally plausible that a 12 was indeed too big. :confused3

A lot of could be the way she is built but a big culprit is vanity sizing.

Just yesterday I found a work suit in my closet that I used to wear about 8 years ago. I was 10 lbs lighter when I used to wear the suit. The suit is made by a brand I currently wear today. I tried that suit on and could not get the skirt zipped up or buttoned. The suit was a size 10. Eight years later, 10+lbs heavier, I now wear a size 8 in that suit. Ridiculous.

So while it seems odd that a 170-lb woman would wear under a size 12, just know that today's size 10 was yesterday's size 12 or 14.

Several years ago American sizing was revamped. When I was 16 i weighed <100-lbs and I wore a size 6-8. I didn't wear a 10 until well after I was married, around 122. Today my DD17 weighs 120 and she wears a size 1!

I am losing weight, now down to 179. At this rate i should be in a 12-14 by summer! I agree, ridiculous. But I'll take it!:laughing:

I am 5'6'' and 178 and I wear a 12. My flubber is evenly distrubuted around my frame so I don't necessarily look as heavy as I am. ;)

Oh and a couple of weeks ago I was 5'6'' and 187 and I still wore a 12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter