No Wonder FtW Is Always "Booked"

RocklandRVers

Mouseketeer
I know a previous thread dealing with the subject of fake booking is closed, but I have to add my 2 cents. For months I have been trying to book a trip to FtW during Presidents Week. Finally, there must have been some cancellations that allowed us to get in mid week. That "forces" us to stay elsewhere so we will have to rough it at Animal Kingdom Lodge for 2 nights. :cool1:

Now after reading that people intentionally book sites with no intention of staying, I have to wonder how widespread the problem has become. Each of the 6 prior visits to FtW including 2 during Christmas and once during July 4th we noted how busy the place was but also that sites were empty seemingly several days at a time. :confused: Could this be fakers?

I think for the sake of the true camping enthusiasts out there Disney needs to discourage this by noting sites that are booked but remain empty and developing a policy that allows them to cancel a booking after a site is empty one day unless there is some special circumstance. No wonder airlines intentionally overbook. :scared1:

Gotta feel bad for you having to rough it a AKL. What a lot of people don't understand is that booking a site at FW and not using it is not the same as booking at a value resort and not using the room. There is only one campground with limited spaces, so for those of us who camp, once it is full we either go elsewhere or cancel our plans. If someone booked a room at say all stars just for the benefits of on site lodging, there are hundreds of comprable rooms on disney available for others to book. They just go to another hotel.

I totally agree. I don't stay at FtW just because of the extra magic hour or even the free parking. In fact during the February visit we will be in the parks (probably just Epcot) one day since that is what is left on our old passes. The rest of the time will be spent relaxing and enjoying FtW and its amenities for the precious few days we were lucky to reserve.

I guess if there is a way to scam, there is a scammer out there waiting to jump on it. I bet these are the same slugs who save the parking fee with a fake handicap permit hanging on the mirror.

Can you tell I a a bit miffed over this? :mad:

Oh well. Take a slug of medicine. :drinking: Ahhhhh thats better.

I think for the sake of the true camping enthusiasts out there Disney needs to discourage this by noting sites that are booked but remain empty and developing a policy that allows them to cancel a booking after a site is empty one day unless there is some special circumstance.

WDW won't do this without complaints coming from loyal WDW customers. Maybe everyone that actually uses the campground should write a letter and mail it to Ft. Wilderness is at 4510 N. Ft. Wilderness Dr. Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000 It's worth the $.39 to mail a letter.

I thought I read a couple of years back that Disney would do cross reference checks on names to eliminate these double bookings. I guess they just say that to scare people off from doing it but don't actually follow thru on the checks. When they put in your name, phone number, they have a record of everything so it would be easy for reservations to check and eliminate this. But, I guess disney doesn't care if it is used as long as they get payment. This is frustrating to me too, as we just made a trip and had to stay off site 'cause I couldn't get a ressie (tried for 9 mos) but if Disney allows it, what can you do (except the letter writing campaign that has been suggested).

I found recently that when I tried to book "room only" for the week prior to Xmas there was no room-----but when I tried to book a package there was room----yet with the package you could book as little as one day of passes

this was thru the online wdw site

Paul in TX

I don't understand if I try to book at 1 of the DVC resorts later then the 11 or7 month window and don't get in then should I be mad at the people who tie up the rooms knowing they are not staying but rent or sell that time.

I also notice you go during th busiest of times at Disney so I don't know how you don't get yor dates knowing how busy and early you would have to book.

I understand it the only so many spaces available thing I was a long time camper in the Mid-atlantic area and they fill up fast.But everyone has the right to an avail space to use as they want if they get it at that time.

Maybe I should be mad at all th DVC renters who have the time to book day by day and get all the prime dates.But I know thats the system going in.

You know it never would have occurred to me to do this until I saw this thread.

Perhaps Disney should have a virtual campground for phantom campers. Pay a fee in excess of the normal parking fee and have use of the FW Campgrounds for 10 people (or whatever the occupancy number is) plus access to EMH.

Thats probily why they don't offer OPEN camp area .That whould solve this entire issue.

I agre with roclandrvers We have stayed at FW the last few Christmas's and at peak summer times, been told the campground is fully booked and then see sites stay empty for days. I always assumed it was people that cancelled last min. but maybe not. We also go to FW just to go to FW. Over our 13 day stay at Christmas about 7 of those days we just hung out at the Fort.I really hate that we can't just go at the drop of the hat anymore, always need to plan far in advance.

I have tried to book every date we are wanting to go in 2006 and I have YET to get a ressie for the campground. And since we are only 3 hours away we try to make it a point to go in off season times. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I guess not!!
~Michele~

Sorry for a dumb question here, but I don't get the 'faker' part. What do you mean? Do they make ressies and call shortly before and cancel to avoid the charge, or do they sell their ressies to someone else. How does the 'scam' work ???

Is this like the Cinderalla Castle dining scam awhile back ???

Someone please explain ...

John

These are individuals who stay off site, but in order to get the benefits of staying on site (eg. extra magic hours, use of disney transportation, free parking, etc) book a campsite at FW, usually partial hookup but sometimes full hookup, because it is the cheapest available accommodation at WDW, with no intention of using the campsite. They check in, get their key, then head off to their offsite hotel, leaving the campsite unused, but unavailable to legitimate campers.

I was also wondering if people who stay at FW for a long time (seasonal) are away for holidays and take their stuff. They still pay and the site is held, but it looks vacant.

I could see that happening if you were a seasonal camper who wanted to go visit family for Christmas (for example).

I don't see a great solution for this. Monitoring the sites will require manpower and doesn't really benefit Disney much.

On the budget board thread (which was not locked last time I checked) I tried to point out the small number of campsites versus value rooms, but I don't think anyone really cared. Very much a "me first" attitude over on that thread. :(

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1002027

Boy, that sucks ... I guess I never thought of doing that. I see the why it was mentioned there were empty sites when FW was booked. I have wondered this also, but never saw this angle.

That would be easy to police I would think, but I guess it doesn't really matter to FW managemnet as long as the site is paid for.

Thanks for the education.

John

ftwildernessguy said:
These are individuals who stay off site, but in order to get the benefits of staying on site (eg. extra magic hours, use of disney transportation, free parking, etc) book a campsite at FW, usually partial hookup but sometimes full hookup, because it is the cheapest available accommodation at WDW, with no intention of using the campsite. They check in, get their key, then head off to their offsite hotel, leaving the campsite unused, but unavailable to legitimate campers.

I thought you couldn't restart a thread that was closed, to just post the same stuff to it?

As far as getting a site at FW, just like with any other campground, during holiday time (such as Presidents week) or snowbird time (Jan - March..althoug my girlfriend called yesterday and got the four nights she wanted in March at FW) or regular vacation time (summer), you have to plan well in advance. We walk through the campground often during Jan/begining of May/September, and there are many open spots...spots that are available. While we no longer camp there (it's cheaper to fly and pay for a hotel, than to lug our RV down) we often visit friends who do. With long term planning, they seem to get spots.
You see Disney doesn't care who rents the sites, just like they don't care that my brother left his value during prime time, to go several days to the Keys. They want the revenue, and are more than happy to rent to whoever makes their plans first. If the campground was a big money maker for Disney and was always crowded, I would think they would expand. But most times when we've been over there, many sites go empty, especially the partial sites. I'm assuming that they aren't being held, because once the weekend ocmes, people seem to be moving into them.

In the Northeast we have a short camping time. I already have my spots for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day (and most say you must pay for 3 nights, so while we will only stay for 2 one of those weekends, we are "taking" and paying for the site for the 3 days) and several other wanted weekends. I planned ahead, and if I didn't, the spots would not be available. I'm sure someone coming in to visit friends, won't be pleased to see the site sitting there with no one on it..but that's the way the campground allows it.

So if you need to get a spot at Ft Wilderness, the best way to do that, is plan like we have too in the NE..far ahead. If Disney sees this as a problem (empty paid for sites) that means they aren't getting the money they want to get for their sites, they will make a rule that the site must be occupied..but since they don't for their rooms, I doubt they will for their campground.

Gillian said:
but I don't think anyone really cared. Very much a "me first" attitude over on that thread. :(
This sounds like a personal attack on those who happen to think differently than you. Since this is allowed by Disney (and I've never done it, because I just stay on site if I want/need the benefits),..well, it's allowed. Just because others think it's ok, doesn't mean they are thinking of only themselves, but staying witin Disney's "rules". You can beat them out of that site if you need it. Just book it first.

It seems like there exists a much greater gray area for conducting ones self at the present time than in the past. I read about people being able to get away with actions that common sense would seem to tell you is illegal, however, no law is present to say it is and thus there is no retribution for said action.

Until there is a rule stating that a reservation for a campsite is only valid if that camp site is being physically used, I see no reason why the practice of absentee guest booking should not be allowed to continue.

Common decency should guide one to only booking a site if it were meant to be used, but so be it. If someone wants to play the system than others must just play smarter and better.

Good luck to everyone who wants to book and just book early.

Remember, 5 days before arrival date for refund or is it 6 now?

Again, while I don't do this (I have no need), it's only gray, if you see something wrong with it. Since it's actually in the "how to" books, it makes it even harder for someone doing this, to see a problem with it. Because Disney owns the campground and has no problem with it, many assume this is staus quo. Like you said (and I did earlier) book early.

John VN said:
It seems like there exists a much greater gray area for conducting ones self at the present time than in the past. I read about people being able to get away with actions that common sense would seem to tell you is illegal, however, no law is present to say it is and thus there is no retribution for said action.

DMRick, I meant it as a comment on the general attitude, but not an attack on a specific person. The "not caring" part was in reference to the numbers I posted comparing the number of value rooms (large) to the number of campsites (small).

People say book early, and we do, but it's not always possible. Others have said that a specific value resort has been sold out for their dates, and I agree that it happens a lot. But then they usually go on to say that if they couldn't get Movies or Pop, they had to settle for Sports or Music. If FW is sold out, there isn't another option.

I just wanted non-campers to understand the difference.

I can certainly see both sides of this issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter