No WDW this time! Travel day

Lizzy Lemon

DIS Veteran
25th July 2010

Downstairs in Gatwick Hilton by 8.15 for breakfast - very nice selection of food (I took a load of pics of the buffet area but a week into the holidays my camera decided to corrupt the memory card so all my pics were lost for the first week, DH took mainly video but he did take the odd one and also DS took some on his phone so had to make the most of what we have).

IMG_6853.jpg

Went back up to our room and pottered about for a while before heading over to have a look around duty free. Through security quite quickly, and off to spend some money. Ashley had a new Chelsea football kit, John and I had some smellies and Glen had some new earphones for his I Pod and a charger as we had forgotten to pack his. After this we had to go an find a plug so he could charge it up a bit for the flight.

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

Sat and waited to be called to the gate, showed flight was delayed by 20 minutes. Called to Gate 33 to find Ruby Tuesday

IMG_6876.jpg

and also saw this plane which left 5 minutes before us

IMG_6885.jpg

We had requested mid plane seats of 3 with John sitting at the window seat in front of the rest of us, when we checked in we found we had been moved to 2 lots of 2 at the back so we had row 62 and 63 H & K. Picked up a newspaper and a copy of Hello that were free on the entrance to the plane.

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

Previously when we've flown from Manchester they've taken a route over Greenland, Canada and East Coast USA, this time we went straight across the Atlantic, so we saw plenty of sea for 8 1/2 hours! Pity as we were expecting to have a really good view with a window seat each. Had sweet and sour chicken for lunch and I had a couple of glasses of wine. Watched Percy Jackson and Lightning Thief and read my book. Ashley watched Alice in Wonderland about 3 times as it was the only thing he wanted to see!

Just look where we flew over, just glad we got there at all:scared1:

IMG_6963.jpg

First sight of USA soil.

DSC02476.jpg

Obviously one of the drawbacks of being at the back of the plane is it took forever to get off! At least we were able to stand up and stretch our legs while we waited. Almost last through immigration as well but didn't take too long and we could see our bags going around the carousel. I was keeping my eye on them just in case someone helped themselves to them (we only had 2 red holdall type bags) - don't know why I would think someone would want them but that's me!!!!

Followed directions Peter from Car on the Drive had sent us and we found him really easily. He had just arrived to pick us up so we immediately got on the road. Arrived at Floridays, while I checked in (block F room 307) Peter waited to sort out the paperwork and while doing that his wife arrived with our white Rav 4.

DSC02518.jpg

A porter took us to our room on a little golf trolley and while the boys and I explored the apartment John went to fetch the car around (first time in USA so he took it really slowly and carefully). I took loads of pics so he didn't and now we have none only this one:sad2:

IMG_7239.jpg

Unpacked, walked down to the main pool area (it was a long way, subsequent days we drove) where the little grocery shop was - little being the word. Thought it would be like a little corner shop with basic supplies for self catering but it was more like a WDW resort shop like the one we had at Beach Club and Capt Cooks in the Polynesian, with little cartons of milk and fruit, small tubs of cereal etc. We ordered a burger meal and fries each

IMG_6994.jpg

It was almost 10pm by now but the boys wanted a swim so they went in the quiet pool which was nearer to our room and OK for a dip but didn't have a bar or fun area which the larger pool had. This is them in the hot tub. Saw some fireworks in the distance we assumed were Seaworlds. Called it a night at 11pm.

IMG_7002.jpg

Hi Wendy
I love the first day, all the excitement building up to that moment you walk out into the hot Floridian sunshine.:goodvibes

:lmao:

Bermuda Triangle, I am laughing but wouldn't have been if on that plane...:scared1:

We flew straight over the Atlantic and over Bermuda last year, it felt a much shorter journey :thumbsup2 A great journey day, and I look forward to reading some more ::yes::

Great first day. Always fancied Floridays but we like to park the car at night and walk to the restaurants so we end up further along I drive.

Looking forward to day 2 :goodvibes

Glad the travel day went smoothly:thumbsup2, What a shame about your camera, we had the same problems once:sad1:

Sorry about the camera, liked the photo of plugging in the IPod!! I think we might be down a little earlier for breakfast - I'll be awake at 5am as I'll be so excited!!!!!

Nice car and Floridays looks good!

I would have been gutted at losing so many photo's. fab flight and 1st day.

If you still have the corrupted card untouched (rather than formatting and reusing on remainder this in of trip) the photos can usually be recovered with software available on the net. One I have used previously is 'recover my files' and is intended for such mishaps and for accidentally deleted files. As long as they have not been overwritten, they are usually recoverable. Just thought I would share this in case you were not aware of such software and did not reuse the card.

Thanks for the info DH knows how to do it and has got the software it didn't work. We took the card to a local camera soap that we have used for years (one that knows what they are talking about) but they couldn't recover them either. Got to admit that the pics are gone.

What a shame about all your lost photos. I had the same problem after a trip to Oxford last year but managed to salvage them with one of these downloaded programmes, what a shame that yours are lost forever. :sad2:

strange journey but so good to get there with the knowledge you have the whole holiday ahead.

susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter