No Tonga toast for me

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
Me,DH, DD went to Kona for breakfast and because I have an allergy to shell fish I could not have the Tonga toast for breakfast .

When the chef came out and required about my allergy, he said that they do not change out the deep fryer from the seafood or fish when they deep-fried the Tonga toast, so because of cross-contamination I couldn't eat it .

So I opted for scrambled eggs and bacon .

Eggs where good just had my heart set on Tonga toast.

Thank goodness you found out the cross-contamination danger. Glad you are OK.

If its any consolation, many find Tonga Toast to be just too sweet. I've stopped getting it because after just a few bites it was too much.

Thank goodness you found out the cross-contamination danger. Glad you are OK.

If its any consolation, many find Tonga Toast to be just too sweet. I've stopped getting it because after just a few bites it was too much.

Yeah...I feel like you didn't miss much. I had it in February and probably won't again.

I learn so many things on the Dis. We don't have any allergies in my family so this would never even occur to me as a possibility! Glad you know better :) For what it's worth, I think Tonga Toast sounds way too sweet. We ate at Kona and I had Steak & Eggs and DH had the Samoan.

I didn't know that and I've had Tonga Toast several times. I have a gastrointestinal reaction to shrimp so I just avoid all shellfish/crustaceans. I've never had any issues having Tonga Toast. But everytime I've had a reaction, I've actually eaten several shrimp.

When the chef came out and required about my allergy, he said that they do not change out the deep fryer from the seafood or fish when they deep-fried the Tonga toast, so because of cross-contamination I couldn't eat it .

That is SO un-Disney I almost don't believe what he said. I would absolutely positively go complain. That's unacceptable for allergy reasons but also dietary restriction (choice and religion) reasons as well. And it's flat out against what disney has been all about, in terms of food and how generally good they are. I think this chef is up to no good, if what he said is truly how he's running his kitchen.

That is SO un-Disney I almost don't believe what he said. I would absolutely positively go complain. That's unacceptable for allergy reasons but also dietary restriction (choice and religion) reasons as well. And it's flat out against what disney has been all about, in terms of food and how generally good they are. I think this chef is up to no good, if what he said is truly how he's running his kitchen.

Ever work in a restaurant? Oil is expensive, they aren't going to be changing it on a daily basis nor is a restaurant going to keep an entirely separate fryer for special dietary reasons when they are not certified Kosher/Halal/Vegan. Disney makes accommodations. Sometimes those accommodations are that they will not let you risk eating something that has the potential to be cross-contaminated.

Oil is expensive, they aren't going to be changing it on a daily basis nor is a restaurant going to keep an entirely separate fryer for special dietary reasons when they are not certified Kosher/Halal/Vegan.

I've also had Tonga toast several times and never been told that I can't because it might be cross-contaminated. While it's possible that this is the case, every other Disney restaurant always tells me when they can't guarantee no cross-contamination and several Disney restaurants have told me that they fry foods for people with shellfish allergies in different oil (I'm allergic to all seafood). So, unless they're lying to me, some restaurants there do indeed keep an entirely separate fryer for such purposes. Given that DCL ships have either separate cooking sections or totally different kitchens for common allergies such as seafood allergies, I would tend to believe that they do actually do the same at WDW.

I've also had Tonga toast several times and never been told that I can't because it might be cross-contaminated. While it's possible that this is the case, every other Disney restaurant always tells me when they can't guarantee no cross-contamination and several Disney restaurants have told me that they fry foods for people with shellfish allergies in different oil (I'm allergic to all seafood). So, unless they're lying to me, some restaurants there do indeed keep an entirely separate fryer for such purposes. Given that DCL ships have either separate cooking sections or totally different kitchens for common allergies such as seafood allergies, I would tend to believe that they do actually do the same at WDW.

Different oil doesn't eliminate the chance of cross-contamination though. Also depends on how the oil is filtered. Size of the kitchen also matters. I would assume Kona has a kitchen on the small side. I doubt any restaurant on Disney property has a separate kitchen for allergies. They use off-site facilities for most special dietary requirement meals.

It just honestly sounds like the chef was being cautious and giving the guest as much information as possible. Unfortunately living with any kind of dietary restriction means that sometimes eating certain things is just not in the cards. The increased awareness of the issue is also creating a different policy. Especially for the larger chains. Years ago I worked at Wendy's. They label all their chicken products as potentially cross-contaminated with fish/shellfish because they are processed in facilities that process both chicken and seafood.

I also have a shellfish allergy. I had a reaction after eating French fries cooked in the same oil as scallops before I knew. I did have Tonga toast at Captain Cook's and was fine. Maybe they don't have deep fried seafood there? Might be worth checking out if you really want to try it.

Ever work in a restaurant? Oil is expensive, they aren't going to be changing it on a daily basis nor is a restaurant going to keep an entirely separate fryer for special dietary reasons when they are not certified Kosher/Halal/Vegan. Disney makes accommodations. Sometimes those accommodations are that they will not let you risk eating something that has the potential to be cross-contaminated.

Ever spoken with a disney chef in the past?

I have. What this chef is doing is a 180 from what they've done and promised and sworn in the past. The recent past.

I'm not talking about any restaurant but on Disney properties. Including Disneyland.

This is different. This is wrong of them. This is a reversal.

There is no such thing as being certified vegan, and you don't need to be *vegan* to not want to have fish in your food.

You have no idea how this kitchen was run on that particular day. You have no idea if the Chef was acting out of an abundance of caution. Before you accuse the Chef of "being up to no good" you may want to find out why he advised the guest of this.

Ever spoken with a disney chef in the past?

I have. What this chef is doing is a 180 from what they've done and promised and sworn in the past. The recent past.

I'm not talking about any restaurant but on Disney properties. Including Disneyland.

This is different. This is wrong of them. This is a reversal.

There is no such thing as being certified vegan, and you don't need to be *vegan* to not want to have fish in your food.

DIsney kitchens usually have a seperate section that is for their allergy concerns. My family has always been happy with the way allergies are handled, and that includes the Chef advising that certain foods can not be guaranteed to be safe, even though there were none of the specific ingredients that my DGD was allergic to.

If you want to be angry, I would suggest you look at the posts we see all over the restaurant board.

"I am going to Cape May, but I hate buffet. If I tell the CHef I am allergic, will he cook my meal all minute?"

"My daughter wants to try the millet bread at BOG. If I tell them she is allergic to the toast, will they give it to her?"

" My child is a picky eater, and there is nothing at Skipper Canteen he will eat. If I say he is allergic, with they get him something he can have?"

It goes on and on and on. I have had the pleasure of chatting with many DIsney Chefs, and cannot imagine how they navigate this. Bottom line is that there are times they must just say no, that fryer is not safe. It was used to fry fish last night and while it was cleaned, it cannot be gauranteed to Have no residue present so we cannot take that chance.

It is expensive for kitchens to maintain separate areas for food borne allergies, and I commend that Disney has such high standards.

Complain that the chef warned of a possible issue?

It is a big leap to say a chef is up to no good by telling someone about allergy issues they could face. Isn't that what they should do? Isn't that the right thing to do?

This is one of those things, and I am REALLY glad the chef was this clued up and cautious.

DD is allergic to something that cross contaminates and I am reassured to hear the care.

DS has a coeliac friend who can't often eat fries - It never occurred to me, because I did not have an allergic child before DD, because, fries are cooked in the same oil as breaded things. I just assumed that potatoes would be fine. I learnt.

So, I am sorry that you missed out, but, it is good they were that careful to tell you.

I have a shellfish allergy too and never would have thought of that so thank you for sharing!

I was very surprised that they didn't have a separate fryer there.
Very disappointed and no I didn't want to take the chance to the fact I'm allergic to all seafood especially shellfish .
Due to the fact that my allergies are so severe you would not get an ambulance is there fast enough.
So I never eat anything if there's a possibility of cross-contamination with seafood

I was very surprised that they didn't have a separate fryer there.
Very disappointed and no I didn't want to take the chance to the fact I'm allergic to all seafood especially shellfish .
Due to the fact that my allergies are so severe you would not get an ambulance is there fast enough.
So I never eat anything if there's a possibility of cross-contamination with seafood

The severity is probably why the Chef took the level of caution that he did. If shellfish had ever been fried in the fryer or if the basket could have come in contact, it would have been devastating. Even with a separate fryer if there was a concern, he would have chosen not to serve the item.

Huh? Up to no good for warning a guest of a potential cross-contamination? What possible "no good" thing could he be up to?
And it's against what "Disney has been all about"?
While it's very possible to say he was being overly cautious it really a strange leap to conclude he was up to no good, whatever that means

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter