No time for witty thread titles! Bocuse d'Or Grand Gala (w/pics!)!!!

Great update and I was tickled to see the pic of Chef Besh ... we really enjoyed watching him on the Next Iron Chef competition - he seems like he has a really fun personality.

I'm also really glad to read that you enjoyed your evening at Raglan Road! I know some reviews are kind of spotty but we've always had such great experiences here and it's good to know that you did too! :thumbsup2

Really enjoying your reviews!! We love John Besh, our hometown chef.:thumbsup2

Great update and I was tickled to see the pic of Chef Besh ... we really enjoyed watching him on the Next Iron Chef competition - he seems like he has a really fun personality.

Thanks so much for the complements! I definitely enjoy sharing! Chef Besh was simply great. New Orleans could not ask for a better ambassador. I'll have further Besh-iness to share once I begin the Grand Gala review.

I'm also really glad to read that you enjoyed your evening at Raglan Road! I know some reviews are kind of spotty but we've always had such great experiences here and it's good to know that you did too! :thumbsup2

I think it definitely helped that I knew what to expect going in. Your earlier reviews perfectly set my expectations and I couldn't have been happier with the food, service, beer, everything.

By the way, I hope that you are feeling better. I seem to recall seeing in a different thread that you've had a tough couple of weeks, and I think your trip is coming up soon. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for the complements! I definitely enjoy sharing! Chef Besh was simply great. New Orleans could not ask for a better ambassador. I'll have further Besh-iness to share once I begin the Grand Gala review.

Further Besh-iness later? :faint: John Besh = eye candy. :lovestruc

I did like your California Grill and Raglan Road reviews, even without pictures.

As Day 3 began, we had a decision to make. Do we "enjoy" another food court breakfast :scared: or do we head straight on over to Epcot to attend the day's first free Culinary Demonstration. Well, let's see who it is...ah, Andrea Zelen, owner of the American Brownie Compan....wait a second. Brownies? FREE brownies?? For breakfast?!?!

:banana: :worship: :cool1: :woohoo: :cheer2:

So off to Epcot we go. Or so we thought. Amongst the group of us waiting for the bus was a guest on one of those motorized scooters. Okay, no problem, the driver lets down the ramp, helping her get aboard. And then a few minutes go by. Patiently waiting....as another five minutes go by. :rolleyes1 And then another five. :confused: :scared: And then five more. :scared1: :eek: :scared1: :eek: I honestly felt so bad for both the driver and the guest. The driver was doing all he could to get the scooter locked in place, but the mechanism on the bus (the oldest one still in service he told me) just wouldn't work. FINALLY, after about a half-hour (no joke) he got it to work. By now, of course, I'm freaking out about our FREE BROWNIES!!!

We finally get to Epcot at about 10:25. The demo starts at 10:45. :eek: Ack!!! So we get down and boogie our way over to the Festival Center, right to the Culinary Demo area aaaaannnnddd .....

are told that we are the last three who will get in. Whoo Hooooo!!!! :yay: :woohoo:

It ended up that there was room for one additional person after us, which was great because a very nice lady came up just after us and we really wanted her to get in.

FWFest1006.jpg

Chef Zelen is in the purple. Turns out that she previously worked as the Pastry Chef at the California Grill for quite some time prior to striking out on her own to start the American Brownie Company. Today, she was going to show us how to make Butterscotch Chocolate Swirl Creme Brulee and Mini Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies. Um, wait a second. Where's me brownie?!?! Oh there it is...

FWFest1008.jpg

Chef Zelen gifted all of us with one of her signature brownies. Isn't it beautiful? What makes her brownies unique is that they are two brownies, one stacked atop the other with chocolate ganache in the middle and on the top. :love: :cloud9: These were dense, rich, uber-chocolately and amazingly delicious. For all those interested, their website is americanbrownieco.com and they have (I think) over 100 different types of brownie.

We moved on to the demonstration. Pam Smith, the host (more about her later), did a good job trying to keep us on schedule despite the Chef's hard sell-hubby (the guy in the red shirt). That would be my one negative about this demo. He definitely got in the way of the actual demo. At any rate, we soon were presented with a sample of the Creme Brulee:

FWFest1009.jpg

FWFest1010.jpg

Oh my stars and garters!!! Do you like butterscotch? Well, do ya? Cause if you do, then this was the dessert for you. Wow, simply wow. My only criticism was that she used brown sugar on top for the caramelization. In my experience, regular sugar just works much better as the brown sugar tends to either burn or get too, too dark. But that is really a nitpick, this was a great creme brulee.

Following this demo, we basically jumped right back into line for the next demonstration (after a quick coffee break). This one was going to be with Pam Smith, R.D. (see, I told you there would be more about her!), Festival Program Host and Author.

FWFest1011.jpg

Pam has written a couple of books, all focused on healthy eating. She also is a consultant for restaurants and other food service entities trying to make their menus healthier while remaining delicious. She would be showing us her recipe for Citrus Chile Rubbed Salmon over Southwest Salsa. Pam was a wealth of information during her presentation. I learned why I don't like Cilantro (turns out that I have an over-sensitivity to Cilantro that makes it extremely unpleasant, and that many people have this "condition"), new methods of farm-raising organic salmon that eliminates the problems with traditional farm-raised fish and more. She was great. On to the dish:

FWFest1012-1.jpg

FWFest1013-1.jpg

So what we have here is a thing of beauty. The salmon is rubbed with a mixture of sugar in the raw, chili powder, lemon zest, toasted ground cumin seed, cinnamon and Creole Seasoning. There are two salsas -- the Black Bean and Corn salsa is on the bottom, and on the top is a Tomatillo salsa. The red on the plate is a touch of Sriracha Chili Sauce. A beautiful presentation. The dish had a great balance of heat, acid and sweetness. Extremely bright, fresh flavors -- this was a real winner and has now become a part of my repertoire. I also plan to buy one of Pam's books (what a sucker I am! LOL).

2 for 2 on the free Culinary Demos. I for one HIGHLY recommend these to anyone. I thought the set-up was great, and the interaction with the presenter(s) a lot of fun. Plus it never hurts to get free, delicious food!!! Interested in the recipes? Just let me know, I'm happy to share.

Well, it's getting late, I'm tired and (unfortunately) getting sick. So I'll sign off for tonight and promise to finish the F&W booth reviews and my pics from the end of the Bocuse competition tomorrow. All of which will lead into my Grand Gala review on Friday!

Brad

2 for 2 on the free Culinary Demos. I for one HIGHLY recommend these to anyone. I thought the set-up was great, and the interaction with the presenter(s) a lot of fun. Plus it never hurts to get free, delicious food!!! Interested in the recipes? Just let me know, I'm happy to share.

All of us on the Dis Board Recipe exchange are very eager for any recipes coming from the Food and Wine Festival so would LOVE for you to share them. :cheer2: :worship: :worship: Links are above and below and I can't wait to see recipes - esp. for the Creme brulee. I believe one of the salsa recipes might be here: http://www.pamsmith.com/NS_cooking.php but am hoping you can confirm for sure.

ENJOYED is an understatement Krissalee. It was absolutely unforgettable. I have a bunch of pics and will have them all up by Friday night along with my thoughts on the event.

My pleasure -- anything for a fellow beer fan! And I need several beers considering how our Mets let us down again. Are you there at Disney right now? I seem to recall that your trip was this week. If so, hope that you are enjoying some great weather and even better food and wine/beer!

Hi Brad, we arrive on the 17th but I'm very nervous as I might have pneumonia (waiting to hear today). Another irony of being a mets fan is that I've been waiting to get SNY in HD for years and the crappy cable company (Charter) finally turns the thing on this past Monday...the day after the end of the season - nothing goes right for mets fans.

Hi Brad, we arrive on the 17th but I'm very nervous as I might have pneumonia (waiting to hear today). Another irony of being a mets fan is that I've been waiting to get SNY in HD for years and the crappy cable company (Charter) finally turns the thing on this past Monday...the day after the end of the season - nothing goes right for mets fans.

LOL! There's always something for us Met fans, isn't there?

REALLY hope that you feel better in time for your trip, and that it's not pneumonia. Get well soon!

All of us on the Dis Board Recipe exchange are very eager for any recipes coming from the Food and Wine Festival so would LOVE for you to share them. :cheer2: :worship: :worship: Links are above and below and I can't wait to see recipes - esp. for the Creme brulee. I believe one of the salsa recipes might be here: http://www.pamsmith.com/NS_cooking.php but am hoping you can confirm for sure.

I will post both recipes either later tonight or this weekend. Yes, the Black Bean and Corn salsa recipe on her site is the one she demonstrated. It was YUMMY!

Brad - I'd love the Salmon recipe!

No problem at all -- I'm happy to share! I'll shoot it over ASAP.

FWFest1012-1.jpg

FWFest1013-1.jpg

So what we have here is a thing of beauty. The salmon is rubbed with a mixture of sugar in the raw, chili powder, lemon zest, toasted ground cumin seed, cinnamon and Creole Seasoning. There are two salsas -- the Black Bean and Corn salsa is on the bottom, and on the top is a Tomatillo salsa. The red on the plate is a touch of Sriracha Chili Sauce. A beautiful presentation. The dish had a great balance of heat, acid and sweetness. Extremely bright, fresh flavors -- this was a real winner and has now become a part of my repertoire. I also plan to buy one of Pam's books (what a sucker I am! LOL).

Brad

That looks a LOT like the salmon dish I had at the culinary demo at the DL food and wine festival in April. There was a chipotle glaze for the fish, and I do remember a tomatillo and avocado sauce and the bean and corn salsa. The sad part was that the DL demo was supposed to be on the avocado, but the good part was that the focus was really about a really great salmon dish!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!
DSCN1369.jpg

The only gripes about the demos that I had (well, I mentioned it in my food report) was that none of the culinary demos had any recipes we could take with us. We had a sheet of paper and a small "mini golf scorecard" pencil to take notes, and that was hard to do. Hopefully next year, DL will start offering the recipes. ;)

Thanks everyone for your patience waiting for the next installment. This little cold knocked me for a loop yesterday, so it was off to bed early for this camper. Feeling a bit better tonight, so we'll try to move along in our report.

Following the Pam Smith demo, we decided it was time to nosh a bit more around the world, so we headed back out to the booths. Since we had left off at Barcelona the day before, we moved right on over to Austria where we tried:

FWFest1017.jpg

Beef Goulash with a Bacon Dumpling

The goulash was delicious, the dumpling was actually a bit non-descript (which was really disappointing because I had high hopes for it. How can you possibly go wrong with Bacon?)

FWFest1016.jpg

Tafelspitz (basically boiled beef served with a sour cream sauce and boiled potatoes)

This was just okay. And actually a bit of a pain to split in three (since knives were at a major premium throughout the world -- which would be my #1 hint for those planning to nosh and share, if you find a knife at one of the booths, keep it and guard it with your life!!!)

So to this point, we've had Mofongo and Tafelspitz! There's only one item left to complete the silly-named foods trifecta -- Bobotie!

Therefore, onward to South Africa (we skipped China, which really didn't have anything of interest, and India, which did but the line was wicked long at the time). Here we had both the Bobotie with Mango Chutney and the Durban Spiced Chicken with Coconut Milk-infused Root Vegetables. I, of course, forgot to take pics.

Next came, in our opinion, the best booth of the entire festival -- Australia.

FWFest1018.jpg

Grilled Lamb Chop with Caramalized Onion Jam -- This was delicious, despite the fact that the lamb was overdone (which I was willing to forgive given that it was still very tender and that I'm pretty sure they had to serve it medium well due to some kind of health regulations). The onion jam was a great complement

FWFest1019.jpg

Chilled Barramundi with a Fennel Slaw -- Very good, as I enjoy both barramundi and fennel. I was surprised that it was served cold, and actually found it very refreshing. The crushed peanuts gave a great texture contrast and worked really well with the firm flesh of the fish.

FWFest1020.jpg

Pepperberry Prawns on the Barbie with Sweet Potato Hash -- Two large, succulent grilled shrimp with a hearty sweet potato hash. What is there not to love? The only thing we could come up with was that there were only two shrimp and three of us. We almost came to blows!!!

3-for-3 by the Aussies! It didn't hurt that we chatted with a really cute CM from Melbourne for about 15 minutes or so. :rolleyes1 (Psst, don't tell my wife!)

Following Australia, we bypassed Germany (I love spaetzle, but nobody can beat my mom's), Italy (baked ziti?!?!? come on people, you can do ALOT better), Ireland (since we had just eaten @ Raglan Road the night before), San Francisco (the beef medallion with cheddar cheese polenta did NOT look appetizing and, while I would have enjoyed it, neither Ken nor Will were interested in the beet salad) and Japan (hmmmm, let's see, sushi....hot 85-degree sun....several hours sitting in that booth....think I'll pass).

Which led us to New Zealand and one of our favorite dishes of all the booths.

FWFest1022.jpg

Lamb Slider on Brioche -- Wow, this was yummy with a Y. It was all about the gravy. So we went back for seconds. We also had the:

FWFest1021.jpg

Bay Scallops with Baby Greens and Cranberry Vinaigrette -- I really enjoyed this dish. Light and fresh, the scallops were firm and the vinaigrette worked very well (even though there was a bit too much of it).

By this point, we were starting to get a bit full, and I was determined to make it over to the World Showplace for the end of Day 2 of the Bocuse d'Or competition. This of course meant that I wouldn't get any Crawfish Etouffee. Oh the sacrifices I make!

We arrive at the competition, and the chefs have already begun presenting their trays. There is a huge throng lined up at the ropes, and the stands are full. NOOOOO!!! I can't see! So I sneak around the back of the stands and cut through between them right up to in front of the tables!!! Of course, I'm not supposed to be there. So between running away from angry CMs, I was able to snap the following pics (warning: webray's shots are better than mine):

FWFest1026.jpg

FWFest1028.jpg

FWFest1029.jpg

FWFest1030.jpg

FWFest1023.jpg

Not great, but not bad, given that I very nearly got kicked out twice trying to get them. The funny thing is that I was working so hard trying to get the pics -- and not get kicked out -- I totally missed that Al Roker was there announcing. Too funny.

So after snapping a few illicit photos, we decided to head back to our rooms and rest up ahead of that evening's Bocuse d'Or Grand Gala!!!

Full update, with pics, stories, Besh-iness, Bocuse-ification and, unfortunately, a really bad headache, to come tomorrow!

Brad

Great updates Brad - I'm really enjoying them. :thumbsup2

That bay scallop salad at the New Zealand booth looks very tasty and I am looking forward to trying it next week. I mentioned to my hubby that it appears that the seafood surprise that had been offered in years past wasn't available this year and he's very disappointed because he really enjoyed the squid tentacles.

In fact, he's sitting in his comfy chair right now chanting "squid cup! squid cup! where's my squid cup?!"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Glad to hear you're feeling better! :goodvibes

Great updates Brad - I'm really enjoying them. :thumbsup2

That bay scallop salad at the New Zealand booth looks very tasty and I am looking forward to trying it next week. I mentioned to my hubby that it appears that the seafood surprise that had been offered in years past wasn't available this year and he's very disappointed because he really enjoyed the squid tentacles.

In fact, he's sitting in his comfy chair right now chanting "squid cup! squid cup! where's my squid cup?!"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Glad to hear you're feeling better! :goodvibes

Thanks Brenda, seems to have been a short but vicious little bug. Glad that you are enjoying the updates!

Unfortunately don't think that Jason's going to be able to get his squid cup, but maybe if you look hard enough, you might be able to find a chum bucket or a krusty burger. :happytv: :cool1:

I hope you both have a great time!!!

I'd like to hit all the silly-named items, but Tafelspitz looked really....blah.
I hope the Mofungo makes up for it. :thumbsup2

I can't wait to hear your take on the Gala! You photo takin' rebel, you!

Thanks for the reviews! Great pictures! :thumbsup2 Glad you didn't get thrown out of the competition. :goodvibes Sorry about not feeling well. I always come home with a WDW bug. :sick: I'm pumping up with vitamin C now since we're leaving next week. :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter