No swapping once SSR is finished?

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
I was just reading the new Clubhouse and I started thinking about how large SSR is going to be. Do you think we'll notice a real difference in availability at the other DVC resorts at the seven month window once SSR is complete?

I own at BCV, but really love VWL and BWV. It made me worry a tad that it will be harder to get into these resorts now. I'm not too worried about OKW and SSR since they are so large, but especially concerned about VWL. Man, I wish I owned there, too.

Thoughts?

I've thought about this as well.

Maybe it's time for an add-on? I did this at BWV to take advantage of the 11-month window there, with full intentions of selling one of my BCV contracts...BUT...I haven't quite gotten around to selling it, LOL! That was the agreement I made with DH when we did the add-on, but I just haven't quite found the time...;)

The way I see it, as long as I can get into BWV, I will (so far so good). I've never stayed at BCV, but if and when the time comes that I have to stay at my home resort, so be it, but BWV really feels like home to me.

As soon as we pay off our current contract I'm going to buy a small resale at the Boardwalk because I really loved it there.

As I've posted before, SSR will have a dramatic impact on the 7 month availability IMO. It will take a few years to sell out and for new members to try their home resort first. I'd say starting in about 5 years, we'll see a VERY noticeable difference in availability. That will be particularly true and VB, VWL, BWV and BCV. HH is so hard to get in summer anyway that it won't make as much difference there. It just shows that one should own where they want to stay. Still if one is flexible in both time of years and destination resort and willing to work the wait list, things will work out for most in the long run. The exceptions will be BWV standard AND BW view and any WDW resorts outside OKW and SSR for high demand times which will be almost impossible to get.

This is why we bought at the smaller resorts. There will be a lot more competition for VWL and BCV. SSR and OKW will have a lot more availability. If you add on in the future, you may want to consider a resale at your favorite smaller DVC.

I think that in the not too distant future, a lot of people will be calling day by day once their 7 month window opens because of the sheer number of DVC members looking for reservations. We own at the three places we want to stay, BWV, BCV and VWL so it should make no difference to how we reserve a resort but should make our points at those resorts more valuable to us.

HBC

It is logical to think that way. A much larger pool of people competing for the same number of rooms at the smaller resorts. However, I'm not positive we'll feel such a dramatic effect. In my experience, going from 25,000 DVC members to 80,000+ members hasn't had a tremendous impact on my personal plans. I can usually work things out with a little advance planning and/or spending some time on the wait list. Hopefully, the balance will continue to be maintained. The only potential "problem" is if if the majority of people purchasing at SSR do not intend to use primarily use that resort.

Originally posted by Dean
I'd say starting in about 5 years, we'll see a VERY noticeable difference in availability. That will be particularly true and VB, VWL, BWV and BCV. It just shows that one should own where they want to stay.

ITA Dean. Thats why we bought at VB and have WDW access with our OKW pts.

UGH. Well, if it gets bad enough do you think I'd at least have trading power with BCV? Say, trade ressies or points with a VWL or BWV owner to get in before the seven month window opened up? Is this hard to do?

Personally, as much as I thought SSR was beautiful I am concerned about the food, pool & future size of the place. I don't know how appealing it will be to us and I worry that SSR owners will feel the same way and try for the other DVC resorts. I hope DVC addresses these areas as it grows. I think it has huge potential, though. If they do anything with that potential we'll have to wait and see..

Originally posted by PamOKW
The only potential "problem" is if the majority of people purchasing at SSR do not intend to primarily use that resort.

I'd say your potential problem is, in fact, very real if our experience is any indication. Our guide just hammered the "you can stay at any DVC" point over and over. It was like he wasn't even trying to sell us SSR at all.

Originally posted by PamOKW
The only potential "problem" is if if the majority of people purchasing at SSR do not intend to use primarily use that resort.
And that is the issue. What percentage of people who buy SSR are just buying there to get into the system? This is the first time this situation has arisen where there is only one resort selling and it is not a true destination resort since DVC has been a true Club of resorts. My guess is far more than 50% of the members at SSR have no intention of staying there routinely. In effect SSR will more than double the number of people looking for other DVC resorts at the 7 month window.

But will the majority of DVC members call exactly at the seven month mark or even day by day for the matter? Or even think to do so? I would think us DVC members who frequent these boards probably plan more carefully than other DVC members who don't? (I mean there have been numerous threads about how obsessed we are!)

Backing up to my earlier post -
UGH. Well, if it gets bad enough do you think I'd at least have trading power with BCV? Say, trade ressies or points with a VWL or BWV owner to get in before the seven month window opened up? Is this hard to do?

Thoughts?

It'll be interesting to see what happens. A couple more points to consider...

As an original buyer of VWL and BWV we've pretty much finished our tours of the other resorts. VWL&BWV "feel" like Disney to us, so that's were we'll likely stay from now on. I'll bet most VWL/BWV'ers feel this way. We'll book at 11 months...no problem.

We bought when our kids were...well... kids. Now they're teens... and...soon enough we'll be empty nesters. Who knows how our vacation tastes will evolve over the next 10 years. Maybe we'll be more willing to trade our rooms out to the less fortunate :rolleyes:

No one really knows what will become of DVC at the next 5 years, to change the pattern. If they continue to expand to "exotic" WDW locations :teeth: could be that VWL becomes a backwater location for old-timers. Maybe WDW develops DtD into a major attraction, may be major expansion of WDW and DVC to a new theme park, expand out-side of WDW or enhance/change the exchange options, sell/buy into another timeshare system.

After a few trips to SSR, perhaps SSR owners will call this resort home, too.

Personally, as much as I thought SSR was beautiful I am concerned about the food, pool & future size of the place. I don't know how appealing it will be to us and I worry that SSR owners will feel the same way and try for the other DVC resorts

Not everyone looks for the same things in a DVC Resort. We don't have little ones and spend very little time at the pool. We also don't eat at the facilities of the resort that much either. And I don't think it will feel that much different from OKW as far as size. When we go to OKW we drive in, head to our room, and the size of the rest of the resort doesn't affect us any. At SSR we really like the location as we frequent DTD a lot

Maybe new owners will want to experience the other DVC resorts, but I cannot see someone paying as much for SSR as they are asking now, just to get into the system and never stay at SSR.

I may be wrong, but it looks from the map of SSR that most all SSR buildings will have some sort of a water view, unlike BCV and BWV and WLV that have some less than desireable views in my opinion.

We bought at SSR and have every intention of staying there during the majority of our trips. Love the resort, and love being that close to Downtown Disney even more than being close to a theme park.

I agree with the logic that it will get harder to book the smaller resorts at 7 months--that point is difficult to argue. More members + same number of rooms = greater chance for disappointment.

But, for the one or two trips we will take each year, if we decide to stay somewhere other than SSR, we'll just call right at 7 months and I'd say our chances are good. If we can't get the reservation right away, we'll go on the waitlist.

Personally, I think the most noticable impact will be the times when people have been able to call at 3-4-5 months before their stay and get a non-home resort. That will probably not happen as often as in the past.

Another factor is the possibility that the next DVC property could be the Contemporary. Based upon the feedback I've heard from others, 400-500 rooms on the Monorail sounds like it would immediately make CR THE destination of choice.

I think TimC said it best: "No one really knows what will become of DVC at the next 5 years, to change the pattern. "

But will the majority of DVC members call exactly at the seven month mark or even day by day for the matter? Or even think to do so? I would think us DVC members who frequent these boards probably plan more carefully than other DVC members who don't? (I mean there have been numerous threads about how obsessed we are!)
Maybe not initially but after they find they can't get what they want, more and more will learn to do so.

After a few trips to SSR, perhaps SSR owners will call this resort home, too.
Or more like a subset of OKW owners who own there to get in the system and many of which don't usually stay at OKW. The difference for SSR will be that when OKW was new, that's all there was and the members loved OKW. There was nothing else so the members were in the habit of staying at OKW. To a certain extent SSR will be the opposite. That's not to say members won't love SSR, just that many will love other resorts more. There is an entire world of DVC sitting there a a certain percent of people buying are doing so just to get in the system. The percentages and how this works out remain to be seen but there are major risks for current members and future members at the 7 month window.
We bought at SSR and have every intention of staying there during the majority of our trips. Love the resort, and love being that close to Downtown Disney even more than being close to a theme park.

I agree with the logic that it will get harder to book the smaller resorts at 7 months--that point is difficult to argue. More members + same number of rooms = greater chance for disappointment.

But, for the one or two trips we will take each year, if we decide to stay somewhere other than SSR, we'll just call right at 7 months and I'd say our chances are good. If we can't get the reservation right away, we'll go on the waitlist.

Personally, I think the most noticable impact will be the times when people have been able to call at 3-4-5 months before their stay and get a non-home resort. That will probably not happen as often as in the past.

Another factor is the possibility that the next DVC property could be the Contemporary. Based upon the feedback I've heard from others, 400-500 rooms on the Monorail sounds like it would immediately make CR THE destination of choice.

I think TimC said it best: "No one really knows what will become of DVC at the next 5 years, to change the pattern. "
Nothing to argue with here other than to emphasize there are issues likely to come about. While no one knows the specifics, not even DVC themselves, some issues are very evident. Certainly more DVC "destination" resorts like a Contemporary would have a balancing affect. Unfortunatley, I'm having a hard time seeing it in my mind. I just can't see any more resorts past SSR, especially with the phase 3 recently announced. It'll take a good 8-10 years OR MORE just to sell out SSR.

I am a new dvc member who bought at SSR, stayed at SSR last month and loved it. I do plan on staying often at SSR.
BUT... Thanks to these boards and my intense desire to stay at VWL I did a small add on at VWL because I fear it will be extremely hard to book at the 7 month window a few years from now.

Don't think I will make any decisions based on this rumor. Think the monorail resorts will continue to be hotels. Since it is not likely that the monorail system will be expanded, they continue to use the monorail to help market the existing hotels.
Besides DVC marketing and sales have exceeded expectations.

ralphd:D :D :D :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter