• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NO SNAKES PLEASE!! What should I avoid??

ehambright1

Earning My Ears
I am going to Disney World for my honeymoom in September & have a HUGE snake phobia.

Real, fake, images... anything resembling a snake can trigger hyperventilation.

What rides or areas should I avoid??

For avoiding the fake, off the top of my head, I would say.....
Jungle Cruise & Great Movie Ride. I know there are more, but it just isn't coming to my head.

To avoid real ones, try staying away from any grass or bushes. I know they can come onto the concrete, but you will more likely see them in the grass.

Jungle Cruise has fake ones; Honey I Shrunk the audience, definately don't do it, if it is reopened; I don't recall any on the real safari ride; Great Movie Ride has lots of fake ones. I don't recall any that are real except at conservation station.

In the line of Kali River, there is a statue of cobra, but no snake on a ride. Maybe there is something else in AK but I cannot remember.

Out in front of the Indiana Jones Stunt Show at DHS there is a store that sells plastic and wooden fake snakes, which they have in baskets right outside the store area. Kids (and adults) like to pick them up and play with them while passing. Fake snakes are also sold in stores at Adventureland in MK.

Fantasmic has Mickey battling a huge snake that Jafar has turned in to (as in Aladdin).

Fellow snake fobia sufferer here!

Definately avoid the conservation station at AK. On our last trip we were waiting to meet Jiminy Cricket and there was a woman with a big snake on the other side of the glass window, right behind Jiminy. My DD went over to pet it, I of course cannot even look at snakes through a glass window.

Honestly, I don't remember fake snakes on Jungle Cruise, so they can't be that realistic/scary. I too am afraid of pictures of snakes, and can't even look at worms without getting the heeby jeebies!

As others have said, avoid the great movie ride and fortunately honey I shrunk the kids is not playing now.

If you do a search on snakes (here on the DIS), you'll read all sorts of horror stories about snakes getting into hotel rooms, and even a story about a little boy who was bitten at CBR (with pictures! :scared1:) Just remember, it's Florida and there are a lot of snakes because of the climate. Avoid walking in the grass, don't swim in any fresh water bodies of water, and don't get too close to the bushes. Pavement is my friend at Disney! (I am happy to report I've never personally seen a live snake at Disney, although I saw many when we lived in FL years ago). Good luck!

In all my trips to Disney, I've never seen a live snake, either, except for the Conservation Station at Animal Kingdom, and you have to take a train out to get there.

My DD has a severe phobia (not snakes) so I know how difficult it can be.

I didn't see any, even when we ventured out to Conservation Station! The Vice Principal of Discipline (she used to teach science) has a 4 foot snake in an aquarium behind her desk. Before I go in her office I always ask if the snake is in his box or out. If he is out, she has to come to my classroom! I hate that freaking snake. I hate alllllll snakes. I don't even like to channel surf if I know that Snakes on a Plane is showing on some channel. Yuck!:scared1:

My Dh and I went to Disney september 2008 for our honeymoon, We were at Typhoon Lagoon Relaxing in the lazy River and out of no where there was a green garden snake swimming with us!!!! I'm from NY and NEVER see snakes out side of a zoo! I was soooo scared! Luckily there was a VERY nice man who jumped off his inner tube caught the snake in his Cowboy hat and threw it out of the river! that was the first time i had ever seen a snake in disney and i've been there many times before.. we went back march 2010 and i didn't see any real ones around!

Im not sure if im correct but i believe theres a snake in "its tough to be a bug" in AK Im not sure if im remembering correctly! I know someone will correct me if im wrong :)

Just know you are in florida and there are real snakes! make sure your husband keeps an eye out for you for the fake ones in gift shops and on rides tell him to turn you the other way! GoodLuck ENJOY YOUR HONEYMOON and congrats on the wedding!

What should yo avoid?
FLORIDA!!!
Seriously, you realize several species of snake are native to the area and likely to be found on property, right?? I don't think you can ever be completely sure you won't see one. I think it would be better to have a plan on what you will do if you see one, rather than counting on avoiding them.

What should yo avoid?
FLORIDA!!!
Seriously, you realize several species of snake are native to the area and likely to be found on property, right?? I don't think you can ever be completely sure you won't see one. I think it would be better to have a plan on what you will do if you see one, rather than counting on avoiding them.

I agree....

I saw one in the bushes at Pop Century.

They are harmless.

What should yo avoid?
FLORIDA!!!

It won't hurt the OP to do both. Know the big no-go zones and have a plan for just in case. Just a word of caution, don't go too crazy planning what to avoid. You will end up with it being on the forefront of your mind and the last thing you want is to be looking for them and having your midn playing tricks on you all the time. :hug:

I'm not an idiot, I know there are many snake species indigenous to Florida. I live in Georgia, there are copperheads in my backyard... but I know how to avoid bumping into them (i.e. not traipsing through bushes).

I'm aware there is a chance I may see one on the property, which I have no control over, but I do have control over experiencing an attraction in which a gigantic 3D snake pops out at me... which happened during Honey I Shrunk the Audience when I was a kid, and left me completely traumatized (possibly even exacerbating my phobia).

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me form an updated list of rides and stores to avoid, so that my honeymoon may be as snake-free as possible! :thanks:

I'm a fellow snake-a-phobe too and have been to Disney many, many times and never seen a real, unexpected snake. Our DD held one at the Rafiki's Conservation Station so I would definitely avoid that place.

One time when we were riding the Great Movie Ride we were sitting in the back row and leaving the Indiana Jones room of the ride when I looked up at the wall and a snake (not real) was coming out of holes in the wall. I screamed my head off and was very embarrassed. Definitely avoid that one too.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

there are (or were) snakes at the fruit bat enclosure in glass tanks at AK as well, but you can easily miss them, my mum (scared of snakes) walked up to the tank and only realised reading the sign it was a snake (then screamed and ran out!)

I'm not an idiot, I know there are many snake species indigenous to Florida. I live in Georgia, there are copperheads in my backyard... but I know how to avoid bumping into them (i.e. not traipsing through bushes).

I'm aware there is a chance I may see one on the property, which I have no control over, but I do have control over experiencing an attraction in which a gigantic 3D snake pops out at me... which happened during Honey I Shrunk the Audience when I was a kid, and left me completely traumatized (possibly even exacerbating my phobia).

Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me form an updated list of rides and stores to avoid, so that my honeymoon may be as snake-free as possible! :thanks:

There is always a chance but be honest in all my trips I saw none. I only learned about accidents with snakes people had, here on board. You should be fine, esp. that you know not to go in bushes and things like that. Just remember, there are plenty of little lizards around, esp. in hotels(outside). Just do not jump if you hear a noise in a grass, 99% it is a lizard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter