No Smoking on Verandahs as of Nov 15, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can go and enjoy your cigar at the relaxing Meridian Patio and have a great time and not bother everyone around you (who also paid a lot of money for their balconies). Everyone's experience is enjoyable!

Actually he can not. Meridan is not on the Wonder, there is no dedicated cigar smoking area on the classics as of yet. This could change, too.

The post I was replying to did not specify on the ship. It was made in general terms. My response was also in general terms.

Yes, it is legal discrimination.

From dictionary.com:

dis·crim·i·na·tion [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of discriminating, or of making a distinction.
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.

So, treating others based on a group, class or category is discriminating. Smokers are a group and a category. Therefore, there is discrimination.

From the Oxford Dictionary:

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex

So again, there is a difference between legal discrimination and illegal discrimination.

It is still not discrimination - what distinction are they making? No one is allowed to smoke on a balcony. It would only be discrimination if one group were allowed to smoke and another group were not allowed to smoke. Everyone is being treated equally - no one is allowed to smoke.

I'm not a smoker and can't stand the smell of cigarettes or cigar smoke. Just booked a veranda room and am hoping there are no smokers on either side of us. Hate the smell that sticks to your clothes, hair, etc. Wish this was taking place before November.

I said this before our cruise, but now I'm doubly happy the change is being made after being chased off our verandah 2 weeks ago by smoke twice on our cruise. It took about 30 seconds for it to get on us and in our stateroom as we opened the door to go back in. Yuck.

It is still not discrimination - what distinction are they making? No one is allowed to smoke on a balcony. It would only be discrimination if one group were allowed to smoke and another group were not allowed to smoke. Everyone is being treated equally - no one is allowed to smoke.

EXACTLY!

As for e-cigs not bothering non-smokers, I disagree. I was sitting across the table from someone smoking an e-cig which was blown in my direction, and I was bothered by it. Should they be forced to stand by someone blowing cigarette smoke? Probably not. Would b it bother someone on the next balcony? Probably not.

EXACTLY!

As for e-cigs not bothering non-smokers, I disagree. I was sitting across the table from someone smoking an e-cig which was blown in my direction, and I was bothered by it. Should they be forced to stand by someone blowing cigarette smoke? Probably not. Would b it bother someone on the next balcony? Probably not.

I was riding in a bus once and someone had bad breath, that bothered me. Lol

I think it is wonderful. Smoking on a verandah is dangerous. I have woken up many mornings to find cigarette butts on my verandah. How do these lovely people that litter my space, know that I don't have something out there that could catch fire? I don't know about you people, but a fire on a ship is the absolute worse situation I can think of and seeing cigarette butts reminds me that this is a situation that could happen, I don't why others don't think of this.

OH yeah, I am an ex smoker. So I feel no sympathy for smokers. They are providing a place, you can deal or you can cancel.

Wow!!! Glad it worked!

My friend and neighbor had. Non-nicotine flavored e-cig once and I tried it. Fruity!!!

So happy about this! I can now enjoy my upcoming Verandah room in December. When I cruised on the Fantasy last July (had a verandah room) our neighbors were outside first thing in the morning and late at night smoking. Not only did we smell it when sitting outside but our own stateroom reeked. It was so gross.

We missed this policy by two cruises and we really could have used it for our Nov 2 Fantasy cruise.

We had a chain smoker in the next cabin forward of us. For the first four days, no matter what time of day or night, she was either already out smoking or just as I would get settled in a chair, out she would come and light up. Even in the wee hours of the morning, midnight, 1am, 2am, 5am. I would even go in for 15-20 minutes and then try to go out and she would still be smoking. I don't think she left her cabin.

After day three, since I had to go to guest services anyway to check lost and found, I decided to say something and tell them that I support the policy change. I knew there was nothing they could really do for me.

Day four, I returned to guest services to check the lost and found and again and voiced my frustration.

Day five, the housekeeping manager spoke to DH and said that they had asked them to be more considerate of others so that day and after it improved. At least I could now go out again after 15 minutes and enjoy the balcony for a while.

It was very frustrating because if I knew before, I would have booked ocean view.

I am wondering how they can enforce the policy since it will be our word against theirs. It's not like the smoke lingers like it does in a cabin.

Ummm, good idea. Although you would have to be quick or they would knock the camera from you hand.

Ummm, good idea. Although you would have to be quick or they would knock the camera from you hand.

Sure and then the security would get them for assault. Not smoking would no longer be their biggest problem.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Do we really need to dredge this up again. Those of us with smokers in the family are not happy, but will live with the rules. We are both platinum cruisers and had booked our 12/13 cruise before this policy was announced, however it is what it is. I don't think we need smoking police with cameras or smokers being charged with assault.

Totally agree; no need to bring this up again. We are smokers however we are not on our balcony 24/7 during our cruise; we are out there first thing in the morning for one cigarette (around 5:00 a.m.) and then we are up on deck all day before getting ready for dinner (another cigarette on balcony) and then dinner, shows and then one cigarette before bed on balcony. I accept the new policy since it is what it is however i am always considerate and make sure my dh and dd are considerate when smoking anywhere. Time will tell but for now its more important to me to sail on disney than it is to be able to smoke on my balcony......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter