No Smoking on Verandahs as of Nov 15, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they would ever do away with smoking 100%...they HAVE to be accommodating. Otherwise it's like discrimination.

Discrimination is not against the law unless there is a specific law to protect a certain class of people. Protected classes include sex, religion, national origin, age (certain categories for certain purposes like employment). If you don't want to hire someone because he is a Yankee's fan or because you don't like people with tattoos, that's okay.

Smokers are not a protected class.

Nancy

Im not sure that prohibiting smoking counts as discrimination. Its disallowing a choice. Hospitals here prohibit smoking on grounds. I doubt that hospitals can openly discriminate.
Just think, would a "dry cruise" be discriminating against drinkers? No.
If you dont like it, dont go.

This, coming from an ex-smoker who still enjoys the occasional one here & there.

Ill also add, with all those verandahs in rows, youre not "privately smoking". That smoke is blowing all over your neighbors. You know it is.

But the people smoking exhale nicotine, and I don't think that every single bit of 'smoke' from an e-cig is water. If the e-cig contains toxins and nicotine, some is going to get into the air.

If they were totally safe, the FDA would approve them, and they haven't.

Nancy

Lol, FDA! Thats funny. Look at all the FDA approved things that have way far worst side effects than an e-cig. I think the air form vehicles we drive is more cancerous than someones second hand from an e-cig. Fact is, todays society, smoking is frowned upon because people dont like the smell, not because of being afraid of lung cancer.

There is a cigar Bar on both the disney fantasy and the dream. It is on deck 12 called the meridian. It sucks that my DH can't step out onto the verandah that we paid for and have his cigar but at least there is a location where he can go. It give and take. I understand how the room next door may not want to smell his cigar and I understand that so deck 12 it is!

I am not happy with the fact that they have lumped ecigs with cigarettes because now they are forcing non-smokers to go to the smoking areas. Yes, people who use ecigs are not smokers. There is no smoke, tar, or carcinogens in ecigs... And in some cases there isn't even nicotine.

I smoked for over 20 years and I tried the patch, gum and various other ways to quit and finally I quit using the ecig. The only reason it works, in my opinion, is that the action of 'smoking' is not being replaced and the little puff of water vapor provides the mental & visual cues that are part of addiction.

On my last cruise it was nice being able to sit out all day at cove café with my kindle and ecig. I didn't use the ecig openly, I had it hidden in my hand because I know some people see it and may think that it is a real cigarette buts the serving staff saw it when I had to put it down to sign for a drink and they had no issues with it.

Now for those who say that I'm still exhaling nicotine, sorry, but I'm down to the 0% nicotine ecigs but still need that mental hand to mouth action and the feel of the water vapor in the mouth ( using a pen doesn't give that feeling and thus is not a valid replacement ).

Now ask yourself if the new policy that would force me to go to the smoking area to be surrounded by the 'smelly smoke' and 'cancerous chemicals' that you are all complaining about is still fair to ecig users. I no longer want to smell like smoke either so why should I be forced to stand next to smokers.

If your worried about that puff of water vapor, it is generated by the exact same propellant used in asthma inhalers. I don't think forcing asthma sufferers to go to the smoking areas to us their inhaler would be a good idea.

Nicotine on its own is not bad for you. It is classed lower then caffeine by the W.H.O in terms of being a cancer causing chemical and as such does not need any carcinogen warning. Yes too much of it can cause nicotine poisoning, but then again too much DiHydrogen monoxide can cause death and you ingest a large amount of that every day.

Right now I am considering that I need to cancel my next cruise if I cannot relax on my veranda in the evenings with my ecig and instead be forced to stand beside smokers.

I am not happy ......

......Right now I am considering that I need to cancel my next cruise if I cannot relax on my veranda in the evenings with my ecig and instead be forced to stand beside smokers.

Perhaps you don't need to cancel your reservations. As restricting as the new regulations are, you are a E- Cig consumer.

Smoke e-cigs in cabin. Smoke e-cigs on balcony "out of view of others and cameras" Of course keep an extra $ 250 OBC for potential cleaning. :lmao: :sad2: And don't use a pungent flavored vapor.

Vapors are definitely getting the short end of the stick. :confused3

Flame away .... :)

ETA; The reason, IMO, why everyone, from the beach, to the office, is curtailing E-Cigs, is most of the public is clueless, and is incapable of making the distinction between ......

I am not happy with the fact that they have lumped ecigs with cigarettes because now they are forcing non-smokers to go to the smoking areas. Yes, people who use ecigs are not smokers. There is no smoke, tar, or carcinogens in ecigs... And in some cases there isn't even nicotine.

I smoked for over 20 years and I tried the patch, gum and various other ways to quit and finally I quit using the ecig. The only reason it works, in my opinion, is that the action of 'smoking' is not being replaced and the little puff of water vapor provides the mental & visual cues that are part of addiction.

On my last cruise it was nice being able to sit out all day at cove café with my kindle and ecig. I didn't use the ecig openly, I had it hidden in my hand because I know some people see it and may think that it is a real cigarette buts the serving staff saw it when I had to put it down to sign for a drink and they had no issues with it.

Now for those who say that I'm still exhaling nicotine, sorry, but I'm down to the 0% nicotine ecigs but still need that mental hand to mouth action and the feel of the water vapor in the mouth ( using a pen doesn't give that feeling and thus is not a valid replacement ).

Now ask yourself if the new policy that would force me to go to the smoking area to be surrounded by the 'smelly smoke' and 'cancerous chemicals' that you are all complaining about is still fair to ecig users. I no longer want to smell like smoke either so why should I be forced to stand next to smokers.

If your worried about that puff of water vapor, it is generated by the exact same propellant used in asthma inhalers. I don't think forcing asthma sufferers to go to the smoking areas to us their inhaler would be a good idea.

Nicotine on its own is not bad for you. It is classed lower then caffeine by the W.H.O in terms of being a cancer causing chemical and as such does not need any carcinogen warning. Yes too much of it can cause nicotine poisoning, but then again too much DiHydrogen monoxide can cause death and you ingest a large amount of that every day.

Right now I am considering that I need to cancel my next cruise if I cannot relax on my veranda in the evenings with my ecig and instead be forced to stand beside smokers.

Perhaps you don't need to cancel your reservations. As restricting as the new regulations are, you are a E- Cig consumer.

Smoke e-cigs in cabin. Smoke e-cigs on balcony "out of view of others and cameras" Of course keep an extra $ 250 OBC for potential cleaning. :lmao: :sad2: And don't use a pungent flavored vapor.

Vapors are definitely getting the short end of the stick. :confused3

Flame away .... :)

ETA; The reason, IMO, why everyone, from the beach, to the office, is curtailing E-Cigs, is most of the public is clueless, and is incapable of making the distinction between ......

No flame here but some of the flavored juices stink so maybe that is why?

I don't think they would ever do away with smoking 100%...they HAVE to be accommodating. Otherwise it's like discrimination.

As smokers are not a protected class, there is no discrimination. Disney is a private company and can ban any activity, or person, from their property as they see fit. (now if they actively do something only to a protected class.......)

I for one am glad they finally got this done. I hated going out to my veranda only to be chased back in by smoke. Sometimes the cigar smoke een made it into to closed veranda door.... ugggg

. Fact is, todays society, smoking is frowned upon because people dont like the smell, not because of being afraid of lung cancer.

Smoke permeates everything. I will reek of smoke long after my neighbor finishes that cigarette.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

As smokers are not a protected class, there is no discrimination. Disney is a private company and can ban any activity, or person, from their property as they see fit. (now if they actively do something only to a protected class.......)

I for one am glad they finally got this done. I hated going out to my veranda only to be chased back in by smoke. Sometimes the cigar smoke een made it into to closed veranda door.... ugggg

Actually it is discrimination, just not illegal discrimination. There is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter