• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No-See-Um Season is approaching

Tommy

DIS Veteran - USAF Retired
Those who are headed to Hilton Head Island or Vero Beach will soon become aware of the problem of little bugs called "No-See-Ums". These are not just gnats, they bite like crazy.

I've added some info to my website under the "Weather and Bugs" area to give you more info. Also I'm sure fellow posters will share their own secrets of how to combat these tiny insects.

DVC Hilton Head Member since 1997
My DVC Hilton Head Resort Page

All I can say is "OUCH"!! Those little buggers sure can bite! My first trip to VB I was unaware of them but on subsequent and future trips the first thing I pack is the bug spray!!

Rosemary
Off-site every year since 1985
PO '96, '97, '99
Coronado '00
WL '94, '00
CB '98
VB '97, '98, '00
DVC member '00 OKW
DxL '97, '01
BWV '01

when is the season for the no-see-ums to appear at vb and hh. hopefully I'm not there then.

I know they were out in March 2 years ago and in October the same year. Maybe some locals can give us the seasons for each resort.

I copied this from a website:

"Sand gnats can't tolerate the summer heat or winter cold,'' said Cliff McGowan of the Glynn County Mosquito Control Department. ``But they become a nuisance for about six weeks during the spring and fall."

no-see-um.gif

DVC Hilton Head Member since 1997
My DVC Hilton Head Resort Page

[This message was edited by Tommy on 03-07-01 at 02:59 PM.]

Tommy, Thanks for the 'heads up', I'll be doing VB for the 1st time in mid Aug. What is an effective repellent for these pesky little meat eaters?

Bill
OKW '93

We will be on west coast after our OKW stay for 3 days at the end of March. Does anyone know if they are everywhere or just at the beaches?

I thought that around the DVC resort there was a small genetic variation on the little bugger.

This is the picture that I found...

noseeum.gif

I guess that this anomaly has something to do with the pool water. I could me mistaken though.

JC

Looks like we just found another Hidden Mickey. I will make sure we bring the Skin So Soft. :)

Does skin so soft repell them? Or do you need some deep woods off. It would be great if the natural bug repellants worked so you could avoid the potentially toxic bug chemicals.

Any experience to share?

After a trip to HH and two to Vero, suffering the no see ums all along, I finally found a waitress who shared her secret. Our last day in Vero, she told us that the Bug spray worked on the moisquitos and the Skin So Soft worked on the noseeums... Thanks! I can testify that the bug spray, Off and Cutter, didn't work for us with the noseeums. Now, I haven't had the chance to try out her theory, but I thought I should share it. Those noseeums are tough little bugs. The ate my daughter and I up. They are much like fleabites.They go through clothes also. We had bites in very well covered places.. Very small and itchy.. I had more than 40 on my legs alone. Be prepared!! Use both !!

Thanks for the info.I'll take the Skin So Soft with us to VB next week. I hope it works. I'll let you know when I get back.

We have been visiting HH for 20 years now. The no see ums can really bite. I swell up something awful...untill Skin So Soft. No kidding this really works for me. So now every time we are out I have my SSS spray with me. Smells alittle but well worth it.

The season for the so-called love bugs in Florida is coming too. They peak in April and September but can be found all summer long. Last year we were down in September and they were really gross. They don't bite or anything, they just fly around in conjoined pairs (perverted). They especially like the water, so it's not unusual (at all) to have them land on you while you're laying by the pool.

Maybe the drought in Florida will help keep their numbers down this year, we'll see!

Jon

I just called my Avon lady and she brought me SSS bug spray. Is that what everyone is talking about? She also brought me the SSS suntan lotion with bug repellant and SSS body lotion and soap. I think I'll be ready for the bugs!!!!

We're headed to VB in mid-April. I'm glad I found this post to know about the bugs. My daughter swells up easily when bit by bugs. I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't found out about getting Skin-So-Soft before our trip. It's her golden birthday trip during her school's spring break and it could have blown the fun.

How bad are they really?

Dream it and you're there!

Off Site - '80,'82,'84,'87
Caribbean Beach - '92,'95,'00
DVC Purchase - 6/00
Vero Beach - '01

I just use the regular SSS bath oil spray. It really works!! I also love the tanning with the bug repellant. Esp. up here during the summer with ticks and everything. I order this stuff by the gallons!! My girlfriend in FLA loves it when the spring is approaching cas she knows that I will be calling her..."Avon Lady order me up!"
Don't leave home without it.

I was worried about the ingredients in Skin-so-soft and whether it contained DEET like many of the other sprays. There have been cases of DEET being harmful to children. But a review of the ingredients looks like it it DEET free. Pretty handy for vacation given all the other uses it seems to have.

Skin-So-Soft Moisture Boost Body Lotion-16 oz.
purified water,
glycerin,
octyl palmitate,
steareth-20,
sodium lactate,
sodium pca,
tocopheryl acetate,
sodium hyaluronate,
cetearyl alcohol,
steareth-2,
glyceryl stearate,
benzyl alcohol,
imidazolidinyl urea,
xanthan gum,
methylparaben,
ceteareth-20,
carbomer-941,
dimethicone (and) trimethylsilxysilicate,
disodium edta,
fragrance,
potassium hydroxide,
carbomer-940,
polyurethane/acylate copolymer,
fd&c blue no. 1.

Repel mosquitoes.
This skin cream also happens to double as the bestmosquito repellent available, according to Outdoor Life, Field andStream, and advice columnist "Dear Abby."

Remove makeup.
Rub a dab of Skin-So-Soft over your face, then washclean with water.

Get a suntan.
Skin-So-Soft works as a suntan oil.

Take a soothing bath.
Add two tablespoons of Skin-So-Soft to a warmbath as a bath oil.

Soften finger nails.
Warm Skin-So-Soft and use as a hot oil treatmentto soften nails.

Enjoy a massage.
Skin-So-Soft is an excellent massage oil.

Relieve itching from insect bites.Applying Skin-So-Soft over theaffected areas alleviates itching.

Repel insects.
Sponge Skin-So-Soft on screen doors and around doorjambs and windows to keep out crawling bugs, flies, and mosquitoes.

Polish wood surfaces.
Squeeze Skin-So-Soft onto a soft cloth to cleanand polish natural wood.

Clean grease and dirt.
Squeeze Skin-So-Soft onto a soft cloth toremove grease stains from formica surfaces and oven range hoods.

Remove chewing gum from hair or carpeting.
Rub a dollop ofSkin-So-Soft into the bubble gum.

Remove dried glue and gum left from price tags and labels from glass,metals, and most plastics.
Apply Skin-So-Soft and wipe clean.

Clean ink from hands and vinyl surfaces.
Apply Skin-So-Soft and wipeclean.

Clean grease and oil from skin.
Rub Skin-So-Soft into the skin andwash clean with water.

Clean soap scum.
Skin-So-Soft removes soap scum from shower doors,shower curtains, windows, and bathroom and kitchen fixtures.

Remove lime and hard water deposits from windows, fixtures, showerdoors, and tile.
Apply Skin-So-Soft to a cloth and wipe clean.

Remove tar spots from car finishes without damaging the finish.
ApplySkin-So-Soft to a cloth and rub until the tar glides off.

Lubricate pipe joints.
Skin-So-Soft works as an oil lubricant forfitting pipe joints together.

Clean oil-based paint from hands.
Skin-So-Soft removes paint andstain from hands more gently than turpentine.

Clean paint brushes.
Skin-So-Soft leaves paint brush bristles feelingsoft as new.

Remove ring-around-the-collar.
Skin-So-Soft removes the dirt rings incollars when rubbed into the fabric.

Remove candle wax.
Rub a dollop of Skin-So-Soft to remove candle waxfrom furniture, carpeting, and clothing.

Remove scuff marks from patent leather shoes.
Apply Skin-So-Soft to asoft cloth and rub into the patent leather.

Pry apart two bowls or glasses.
Dribble a few drops of Skin-So-Softdown the sides, then slip the bowls or glasses apart.

Clean vinyl car upholstery.
Apply Skin-So-Soft to a soft cloth andwipe down the seats and other vinyl surfaces.

"Skin-So-Soft" is a registered trademark of Avon.

http://shop.avon.com/avonshop/default.asp

We just returned from a delightful week at HHI. On our first evening by the pool (3/2/01), they swarmed us when we were out of the pool and nibbled away, annoyingly whizzing by our faces. :mad:

We got some Skintastic bug repellent for children that night and it worked great! :D We weren't bothered again all week. We went kite-flying at the beach and kayaking in the marshy creeks, lined with muddy oyster beds (where you'd expect many skeeters) - no problems. At the resort, they came out daily in the warmer hours after lunch. With the Skintastic, we saw them and we saw others bothered but we were all just fine.

It was cooler than we'd hoped (70-ish, then down to upper 40's when the northeast got the snow, then back up to the 60's). But overall, it was a really fun trip. :) BTW, it's not crabbing season until mid-April so we missed out on that favorite activity. But we enjoyed more of the organized activities, more playing billiards and more hammock-swinging than we'd expected, too. :D The nibblin' critters didn't dampen our fun at all. Don't let them stop you from going! :)

Wow! Thanks for the posting. I knew SSS was great, but not that great :)

Anyone know if they are bothersome around the Destin area during spring?

Thanks!

Been there, done that, going back!

Check my site: http://www.geocities.com/tinkerbellwdw2000/

Off-site 87, 88
All Star Music 97
All Star Music 98
All Star Movies 99
Ft Wilderness Oct 00
BWV/WLV Oct 01

flyTINKERBELL.gif

We are taking our first trip to HH at the end of July. We go annually to Vero but the no seeums only come out after sunset. Are they out all day at HH?

Lissete

Mom23K's, Katrina, Karilyn & my angel Kristyn

DVC 1995

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter