No raise, no bonus - again, no flames please.

We do redbox for movie rentals which is free for us ...
I am usually not the morality police ... but for goodness sakes! You can afford DVC but you are stealing a $1 movie? That's low :sad2:. And don't tell me that Redbox wouldn't put the codes out there is they didn't expect people to use them. The codes are there for people to try the service. You've tried it. You like it. You should PAY for it.

In the spirit of full disclosure, my sister works for Redbox.

I haven't gotten a raise either. So I understand your pain. Not sure if I have many more tips for you on saving money, though. I guess getting those energy efficient bulbs and buying things only when they're on sale...that's a way I save.

I am usually not the morality police ... but for goodness sakes! You can afford DVC but you are stealing a $1 movie? That's low :sad2:. And don't tell me that Redbox wouldn't put the codes out there is they didn't expect people to use them. The codes are there for people to try the service. You've tried it. You like it. You should PAY for it.

If Redbox doesn't want you to use the code why do they send out new ones about every week? You can sign up to get free codes by text. How is she stealing? I think she is just being frugal and there is nothing wrong with that.

Jen

If Redbox doesn't want you to use the code why do they send out new ones about every week? You can sign up to get free codes by text. How is she stealing? I think she is just being frugal and there is nothing wrong with that.

Jen
If she's using NEW codes that they are sending that's one thing. She's using the same two promo codes again and again.

If she's using NEW codes that they are sending that's one thing. She's using the same two promo codes again and again.

Criminy who cares!

This thread is about a lack of bonuses and raises....not redbox codes.

I'm guessing she cares because her sister will be the next one out of a job once these codes get spread around on the internet and the company takes a loss. :sad2:

We are in the same boat...thankful we are still working but the cost of living has increased so much here that we are barely making it. Our taxes and insurance on the house have tripled in the last three 3 due to living less than 50 miles from the coast. Our taxes were around 800.00 a year, we are now paying close to 2200.00 a year. It is just crazy. My company is on salary freeze, raise freeze as well. No overtime or anything else. DH is self employed and while his salary has not gone down,our bills have gone UP UP UP.

On our tax return it looks like we did alright. But, my couponing and getting the sales when we can, buying only what we need and no frivilous spending at this point is really what is keeping us afloat.

I will always be glad we have jobs still and our home when so many have not been so fortunate. But, sometimes it seems like we are in the same boat just making ends meet where we can!

Kelly

I'm joining in too. No raises or bonuses for the last two years and my hours at work were just cut. It cut my income by 20%. I've trimmed just about everything I can. Hopefully its just temporary.

Another year, no raise and no bonus. I am grateful that we have a job. Although my lifestyle hasn't changed (in two years), it seems like my expenses have gone up. My state taxes out of payroll for 2010 seem to have gone up at least another $1200 per year (appx 60 more per pay period) My real estate taxes have gone up another $800. Not to mention whatever federal goes up to. My prescription plan has gone up as has the daycare expenses (410 for two days to 475 for two days).

So I have tried to work on my fixed expenses, i.e. use less electricity - been able to reduce it by 1/3, increase my deductibles, reduce my cable/interest/phone service, try to shop for bread the the bakery outlet, use more coupons, ect. But does anyone have any other novel ideas? It seems like the major increasing expenses are out of my control.
I am now hunkered down for another year, but need some more tips for saving money.

I don't know where you live, how many children you have in daycare or if they are in preschool (all of which adds to the cost obviously), but your day care expense sounds NUTS! :scared1: I'm a licensed home day care provider and it would take a family of four full time kids to get a number like that! (I'll grant that this is a rural area and thus a bit cheaper). Any chance of finding another provider?? Day Care Centers can be crazy expensive. I know it's hard to change once your kids are happy somewhere, but that really does sound like a HUGE budget buster to me.

I don't know where you live, how many children you have in daycare or if they are in preschool (all of which adds to the cost obviously), but your day care expense sounds NUTS! :scared1: I'm a licensed home day care provider and it would take a family of four full time kids to get a number like that! (I'll grant that this is a rural area and thus a bit cheaper). Any chance of finding another provider?? Day Care Centers can be crazy expensive. I know it's hard to change once your kids are happy somewhere, but that really does sound like a HUGE budget buster to me.

That does sound like a lot, esp for only two days a week.

For my DD8's before and after school care I pay $315 per month but over the summer for full day care I pay about $500 per month.

DH got no bonus and no raise at all this year either.

Thankfully, he did get a fairly large promotion in 2008 that included a salary increase, but he hasn't seen a raise since.

And there is no raise or bonus in the forseeable future.

We can do one of 2 things:

I can go back to work or we can cut expenses. Of course we can't control taxes, but we can control our food, tv, entertainment, etc.....

Right now we are cutting expenses.

Dawn

Maybe this will help someone as we are all rowing the same boat.

Coupons. But both online coupons and newspaper coupons and only use the coupons for things you need.

We enjoy travel, but we are frugal. We use Priceline, online codes, and friends who also can get us discounts. When you pinch pennies daily, it is really nice to reward yourself once every two months with a nice $42 a night posh hotel room for the weekend.

Cooking: Buy what is on sale and freeze it if you can. This way,when chicken or hamburger is on sale, you have some for now and some for later when it is $4.99 a pound.

Someone else said this but I will say it again: Look at your insurance and what deductibles you can raise to save. Are you paying for coverage you don't need? How much is your car worth and what are you insured for at this point?

Someone else said: Unplug things that don't need to be plugged in!

Turn off lights. Wear a sweater in the house instead of cranking up the heat three degrees.

Borrow DVDs from friends and do exchanges. We got a PlayStation 3 for Christmas and a few games. We have a friend also with a PS 3 and now we exchange games and BluRays with each other.

Costco or other large stores: Buy in bulk and share with others. We are just two people and even though buying in bulk is a great money saver, we don't need 4 pounds of cheese and it doesn't freeze well. So I buy it and share with my sister.

Maybe this will help someone as we are all rowing the same boat.

Coupons. But both online coupons and newspaper coupons and only use the coupons for things you need.

We enjoy travel, but we are frugal. We use Priceline, online codes, and friends who also can get us discounts. When you pinch pennies daily, it is really nice to reward yourself once every two months with a nice $42 a night posh hotel room for the weekend.

Cooking: Buy what is on sale and freeze it if you can. This way,when chicken or hamburger is on sale, you have some for now and some for later when it is $4.99 a pound.

Someone else said this but I will say it again: Look at your insurance and what deductibles you can raise to save. Are you paying for coverage you don't need? How much is your car worth and what are you insured for at this point?

Someone else said: Unplug things that don't need to be plugged in!

Turn off lights. Wear a sweater in the house instead of cranking up the heat three degrees.

Borrow DVDs from friends and do exchanges. We got a PlayStation 3 for Christmas and a few games. We have a friend also with a PS 3 and now we exchange games and BluRays with each other.

Costco or other large stores: Buy in bulk and share with others. We are just two people and even though buying in bulk is a great money saver, we don't need 4 pounds of cheese and it doesn't freeze well. So I buy it and share with my sister.

I do all this as well. My somewhat new thing is borrowing free books and DVD's online from the library. Just as easy as Amazon, but free, and I just have to pick my items up when they're ready (we are in a large network of libraries that borrow from each other, so it's pretty quick).

My prescription plan has gone up as has the daycare expenses (410 for two days to 475 for two days).

I am now hunkered down for another year, but need some more tips for saving money.[/QUOTE]

Hi, sorry you are having a tough time. I noticed you pay quite a lot of $ in daycare. I'm guessing, like us, you don't need full time child care. We negotiated with our sitter who runs a small home based day care with less than 12 kids. We negotiated with her to charge us less than her going rate since our kids are only with her about 30 hours a week. A lot of daycares probably couldn't do this but usually stay at home Moms and home based day cares will negotiate their rates if you ask. Just a suggestion...

We are in the same boat...thankful we are still working but the cost of living has increased so much here that we are barely making it. Our taxes and insurance on the house have tripled in the last three 3 due to living less than 50 miles from the coast. Our taxes were around 800.00 a year, we are now paying close to 2200.00 a year

Wow, lucky you! LOL! I'm paying $11,000+ per year on my itty bitty home, and my gas/electric is $500 a month on the budget plan. :confused: Our property taxes were $4000 when we bought the house 12 years ago, but go up every single year. :headache:

Wow, lucky you! LOL! I'm paying $11,000+ per year on my itty bitty home, and my gas/electric is $500 a month on the budget plan. :confused: Our property taxes were $4000 when we bought the house 12 years ago, but go up every single year. :headache:

Wow, that a lot in real estate tax. Which state do you live in and what is the sf of your itt-bitty house. That's crazy. My taxes are just over 4k for a good sized house. How can one every get ahead with those numbers.

Joining the club...not only did we get our salaries cut by 5%, then 10%...then we had layoffs! I'm one of the lucky ones, I've got a temp job now and will be starting a permanent one in about a month-but at a MUCH lower salary.

This trend has been going on for a LONG time, not just the last few years. Even when there were raises, they were not keeping up with the actual cost of living. Middle and working class folks have actually seen their real life incomes trend downward for probably the last 10-15 years. While the credit boom was on, nobody really noticed but now that people can't get credit to make up the difference-it's really hitting hard.

This is why we finally bit the bullet and moved from a HCOL area to a much lower COL area.

Dawn

Boy are you nasty & judgemental! Really now, how hard is it for Redbox to make a "one time only" coupon.......................

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
-- Dr. Seuss

Wow, that a lot in real estate tax. Which state do you live in and what is the sf of your itt-bitty house. That's crazy. My taxes are just over 4k for a good sized house. How can one every get ahead with those numbers.

NJ - highest in the nation, and one of the highest counties in NJ. My house is 1800 square feet, on a 60x 100 lot. And no, we can't seem to get ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter