No Pixie Dust Yesterday!! I Hate Magic Bands!

It was so hot, so what did Disney do??? Roll a water stand in the middle of the crowd... To sell! I have never seen anything like it at Disney! Complete disregard for their customers! We just did a 7 night Disney Cruise, so we are big fans of Disney, but we are done!

This is unreal! I was at the Hyatt earlier this year for a convention and when there was a computer issue they were walking the line of guests checking in for our conference with water, lemonade and champagne...gratis. All guests were offered coupon vouchers for a meal or movie or something else. Massive apologies. Offers to take phone numbers to text when the problem was solved and the ability to come pick up keys at our convenience rather than stand in line.

Disney, who charges top dollar because they are "over the top" on service, leaves its "guests" standing in the Florida sun for hours and then oh-so-helpfully *sells* them water.....I feel my stress levels building already. We went in Dec - nervous. It all went ok...decided to use my AP for a once in a lifetime trip with my mom in Oct and am worried that we will hit a mess like this.

Disney knows they are still having trouble with MDE, yet what do they do? Offer *new* VIP experiences at serious upcharges - sold with the promise to get you out of the mosh-pit they have created. Its stories like this that have me getting over the Kool-aid.

we've had about half a dozen trips using magic bands, the last time was june 9-13th. while most trips we didn't have any problems on one particular 3 day weekend trip we had about a dozen trips to guest relations over the 3 day we were there and no one in any of the 3 parks we went for help to try to get a recurring problem with my granddaughter's band worked out. it would let us in the park fine but then when we tried to use our fp+ mine read fine, hers would say she wasn't in the park and thus not want to let her on the rides. they even had us try just using her hard card (we're ap holders) and even that was giving the same problem on that particular trip despite it having been used countless times before with no issues and since then with no issues. they never were able to correct the problem and i guess we've been lucky it hasn't come up again on subsequent trips. it seems like when they get hit with a new or different glitch sometimes they just don't have any idea how to fix the problem. it wasted soooooo much time for us too that i cannot even imagine what you went through with what certainly sounds like some sort of system wide malfunction.

Disney knows they are still having trouble with MDE, yet what do they do? Offer *new* VIP experiences at serious upcharges - sold with the promise to get you out of the mosh-pit they have created. Its stories like this that have me getting over the Kool-aid.

That seriously made me giggle. :)

Is it possible for anyone to be that bad at math? What you just described was the number of people who could be helped by each CM. Now, figure on 4 CMs at stations and 4 more with i-pads and re-do your math.

Yes… and then if each of these people had 2 or 3 family members waiting on the side, it could easily be ~1000 people. (120 in line per CM)(4CMs)(2 additional people waiting)= 960 who can't get into the park. (X $2.99 per bottle of water…) :rotfl2:

Yes… and then if each of these people had 2 or 3 family members waiting on the side, it could easily be ~1000 people. (120 in line per CM)(4CMs)(2 additional people waiting)= 960 who can't get into the park. (X $2.99 per bottle of water…) :rotfl2:

Thanks for pointing that out. I am embarrassed that I didn't mention that the average "group" is around 2.7 guests so that has to be factored in.

Were there any other DIS'ers who were affected by this as well?? Hard to believe the story only by one person.

I take everything written here (complaints) with a grain of salt!

Well since the judge has ruled... Geez! Way to backhandedly call someone a liar. That's not very kind.

What the OP experienced sucks and I would hate to have it happen on our next vacation. It doesn't really matter to me if there were hundreds or thousands affected by this because either number is not acceptable.. even 30 people.. not acceptable.

Yes..i fully agree. It is not acceptable no matter the amount of people involved. I would have been upset as well if I found myself in that situation.

What I find much more interesting about this entire thread is the same stuff that goes on in every thread that has the gall to say anything negative about Disney... the complainer ends up being mocked and their credibility gets questioned.

As I find it just as interesting that threads like this seem to attract to the most adherent detractors of the My Magic project because it fits their narrative of how incompetent Disney IT is, how greedy Disney is, etc...etc..etc..

Do people exaggerate at times.. yes, most people tend to do this, it is human nature. Is it the same as being dishonest or deceptive... not at all. Those few in this thread that felt the need to question the integrity of OP really need to stop and think about why that is exactly. Make your excuses and tell yourself you attacked someone personally and practically accused them of lying because you just want to keep it real, or you feel this board has too many posters complaining... if that helps you look in the mirror.. ok.

But it is also human nature for people to be skeptical of people who exaggerate and hyperbole. The problem is that when someone does this, like it or not, you wonder about the credibility of the rest of their story. In this case, I dont think the OP is lying about having problems but I do believe they have exaggerated about the number of people. It went from hundreds to now 1-2k.

I personally wonder if some have this pathological need to defend Disney no matter what.. or maybe it is simply about just wanting to call someone out, perhaps some get a little jolt out of stuff like that.

Questioning a part of someone's story does not equate to defending Disney. Is it a pathological need of certain Disney critics to drone on and on about the same things constantly as well just repeating their same arguments again and again across various threads??

Do I think we need to buy into every single situation that gets presented in this forum.. no, I think everyone should read what is written and use their logic and instincts to tell them what to believe. That doesn't mean that we need to immediately go on the attack and accuse people of being dishonest... accusing someone of lying is a pretty big attack on their credibility and character. I think most people deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Nor do people need to take an anecdotal account and blow it out of proportion either to fit their ongoing narrative. If people want the benefit of doubt then perhaps they need to stop with the hyperbole and exaggeration. Unless you really want to believe everything you hear like the KFC story. Who was giving KFC the benefit of doubt then?

When we get into the weeds about numbers it totally distracts from the entire point of the thread.. that a WDW guest had a bad experience and they had a right to complain or expect better. But.. you know now that I think about it maybe that was the point .. if the thread turns into a debate about OP and their credibility, people will stop talking about how Disney seems to have blown it in this case.. big time.

I, for one, will admit that Disney blew it in this case. No issue from me there. Glitches with technology are going to happen but there should be contingency plans in place where it would be more seamless to the guests. They have had MBs in place long enough now to work through the glitches and plan for potential problems when they are not working as they should.

Couple of things. Most of the resorts do not even have card printers anymore, taken out some time ago.

Yesterday's issues were actually twofold. Ticketing issues were primarily guests that had ticketing linked at resorts. No ideas why that was occurring.

The other problem yesterday was that the ticket "reading" module was working but the "validation" module (biometric) had crashed. Guests were asked to scan their ticket and then they were waved in and the count was done manually. Took about 15 minutes to get extra cast there (in this case MK) and get logged into the system. Did slow things down somewhat but not drastically. For guests that had actual ticket issues, it did go slower.

We used to have system crashes with the legacy turnstiles from time to time also, often lightning or power surge related. "Crash procedure" are in place but they do take a few minutes to implement.
I absolutely believed the OP before this post.
No one should question the validity after this post.

Disney is having serious problems with their systems. It is being experienced day after day by guest after guest. I hope that anyone experiencing problems like the OP complain to Disney in writing. Please take the time to write.

The question becomes what can we do to prevent problems like this from destroying our vacations? Maybe carrying a printout express check-in (proving that not only do we have reservations but we are paid up), carrying picture IDs, and requesting KTTW cards could be of help. I just want to make sure I have what I need to prove that I am not a liar (I have a really hard time believing there are multitudes of scammers lining up with invalid reservations)/

I absolutely believed the OP before this post.
No one should question the validity after this post.

Disney is having serious problems with their systems. It is being experienced day after day by guest after guest. I hope that anyone experiencing problems like the OP complain to Disney in writing. Please take the time to write.

The question becomes what can we do to prevent problems like this from destroying our vacations? Maybe carrying a printout express check-in (proving that not only do we have reservations but we are paid up), carrying picture IDs, and requesting KTTW cards could be of help. I just want to make sure I have what I need to prove that I am not a liar (I have a really hard time believing there are multitudes of scammers lining up with invalid reservations)/

The bolded part is what I want to know as well. Folks that are there for rope drop are there for a reason - to get on rides with minimal waits. If I'm standing in line for an hour or more there goes the RD advantage. I would need a handful of FPs to make up for being in the line so long.

I just asked a CM this same question...a few minutes ago. His answer, you can't. Love it. I am spending all this time and energy...not to mention money and I can't prove I have a valid ticket.

Also he said I could NOT get a card any longer, I just asked if I could order them and have them ready at checkin, he said NO.

Yes, a couple weeks ago we were sent hard passes (the cards). I got on Disney's website and engaged the chat on there, one of the little Sleeping Beauty fairies. She told me that for some reason, Disney has been sending out these hard passes ahead of the MBs. Don't know if this happens for everyone (I'm thinking no). Our MBs should be arriving in about ten days or so.

I can say without question that you can get plastic tickets sent. Now, they aren't KTTW cards but they are plastic tickets. I got a set in my Disney pouch that I plan to take next month. I got a room only and tickets, not a package, maybe that made a difference. When I went to order my tickets the CM on the phone was quick to say that she thought I would be smart to have plastic tickets, in addition to the MB. Wonder if they do any good?

As I find it just as interesting that threads like this seem to attract to the most adherent detractors of the My Magic project because it fits their narrative of how incompetent Disney IT is, how greedy Disney is, etc...etc..etc..

As one of those people you are calling a "most adherent detractor" of MM+ (at least, I assume, given your tone in responses to this post) - it has nothing to do with any kind of "narrative" you or anyone else wants to accuse me of having.

Seriously, is it so hard to believe one can not like one aspect of the system (FP+), and yet not hate the entire thing? I have no issue with Magic Bands themselves.

Yes, I have stated issues with their IT dept - but not because of MM+. That is based on years of poorly designed/ill-functioning websites and poor functionality of wifi in their parks.

That said, I do not wish anyone poor experiences on their vacation - which is what you seem to imply when you say people are drawn to threads like this to fit their narrative. I feel *badly* for people who have experiences like this. I don't want it to happen. What I *want* is for Disney to step up to the plate and FIX their issues so that *everyone's* experience is as smooth as that of some posters here.

I don't want MM+ to fail. I don't want Disney to fail. If I go in November and have a flawless trip with FP+ and MM+, I will be the first to say so. Until then, I am skeptical *because of* the many reports I have seen here since this project's inception...not 1 report, not 2 reports..but the many reports.

But apparently it's OK to be skeptical of this OP because it's just their one opinion or experience, but me being skeptical of MM+ because of *many* experiences and reviews means that I have a narrative or agenda?

I, for one, will admit that Disney blew it in this case. No issue from me there. Glitches with technology are going to happen but there should be contingency plans in place where it would be more seamless to the guests. They have had MBs in place long enough now to work through the glitches and plan for potential problems when they are not working as they should.

This right here is all that pretty much everyone in this thread has said....that it is *possible* for glitches to happen that affect a number of people all at once. But somehow some have an agenda or narrative, while others don't.

Just a question......Since so many of you have experienced being accused by CM of trying to enter w/o a valid ticket, do you think Disney is seeing a lot of people with expired MB tickets banking on the "niceness" of CMs to just wave them through because the system is still "glitchy" to get a free day in the park? :confused3

Well, comparing this past Xmas a previous ones, park attendance was typical - PACKED.

However, during EEMH, it was a different story. The lines were DEAD this last year when they were actively scanning every MB or KTTW. No more just flashing an old KTTW from a friend or an expired one.

So, would not surprise me if they are 'controlling' more now.

Computers and technology are so wonderful until they do work properly. I truly was more comfortable with paper stamped tickets where I could see the number of days used and remaining. And the old picture AP! I won't use magic bands and will stick to my AP and ID. Time will tell how many more trips I will take due to all this tracking etc. Good luck with the magic or not so magic bands.

I had a Magic band issue this weekend at Epcot. I just recently bought a Florida resident AP and presented proof of Florida residence at time of purchase. I don't yet have my Florida DL so I used another form of proof of res. When my MB didn't work at the Epcot park entrance yesterday, a cm pulled me to the side and started scanning and asking me a bunch of questions. He then told me to wait a few minutes and he walked off. When he got back to me he said I wasn't allowed in the park since I don't have a Florida DL, but that he would make an exception this one time and let me in. I had already gone to DAK the week before and everything worked fine, so I'm guessing he was wrong and pretty rude about it too. The whole thing took about 15 mins and could've been avoided had the MB just worked in the first place.

Couple of things. Most of the resorts do not even have card printers anymore, taken out some time ago.

Yesterday's issues were actually twofold. Ticketing issues were primarily guests that had ticketing linked at resorts. No ideas why that was occurring.

The other problem yesterday was that the ticket "reading" module was working but the "validation" module (biometric) had crashed. Guests were asked to scan their ticket and then they were waved in and the count was done manually. Took about 15 minutes to get extra cast there (in this case MK) and get logged into the system. Did slow things down somewhat but not drastically. For guests that had actual ticket issues, it did go slower.

We used to have system crashes with the legacy turnstiles from time to time also, often lightning or power surge related. "Crash procedure" are in place but they do take a few minutes to implement.

There you have it from a Disney CM. They were indeed having ticketing problems. Just as the OP stated. Also, if they were bringing in extra CMs then it must have been affecting a large amount of guests. Who cares whether it was dozens or thousands, it was still unacceptable. And charging for water, I would have been livid. And before you call me a hater, I bought into DVC. So I obviously don't hate WDW. But I call it like I see it, and Disney better get this fixed before my next trip, or they will be hearing from me.

There's a bit of a problem with that.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/my-disney-experience/frequency-technology/

If you prefer, you may elect to use a card instead of a MagicBand. Cards contain a passive HF Radio Frequency chip and cannot be detected by the long-range readers.

Heck, it's right there in the Terms and Conditions: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/park-experience-terms-and-conditions.html

Guests can participate in MyMagic+ and visit the resort without using the MagicBand by choosing an RF Card...

If I weren't going with a total WDW newbie on my next trip, someone who doesn't need issues from the start...I would totally insist on an RF Card at checkin.

Yes, a couple weeks ago we were sent hard passes (the cards). I got on Disney's website and engaged the chat on there, one of the little Sleeping Beauty fairies. She told me that for some reason, Disney has been sending out these hard passes ahead of the MBs. Don't know if this happens for everyone (I'm thinking no). Our MBs should be arriving in about ten days or so.

So are they KTTW, or are they just tickets? I think that's what was surprising me. :)

FWIW, I dislike the whole thing of MyMagic+, and yet I haven't had any real problems with it. The problems I've had, I had with the cards once the door readers were installed (though I haven't had a door reader actually fall off, like what happened on our trip during the transition). Most of the time our problems actually ARE in charging, where we put charging on and then it doesn't work.

But getting into the parks and getting into the rooms, it's been good.

And yet I wish the whole plan would just be ended, we would go back to keycards that went into a slot in the door and proper tickets, and just be DONE with the whole mess.

Afterall, I loved the cool subway-style ticket readers at the gates. I miss them. :(

I've said all along that it's NOT a good idea to depend completely on technology- because what happens when it goes down? SOL. This isn't just for Disney, this is for everything. I am always amazed that people are so proud of their dependence on technology and look down their noses at people who can "do it themselves."

ANYHOW… Almost as concerning as the magic bands not working is the attitude of the Disney employees. They accused you of trying to sneak into the park? They think you are lying about having FP+ or ADRs? Since when is rudeness part of a CM's job description? There are plenty of theme parks to attend if one is looking for poor customer service and rude employees! It sounds almost as if they CMs have been convinced that Disney's new technology is flawless, and of COURSE it's going to work all the time. What flavor kool-aid have they been drinking? OP, were they not concerned or sympathetic at all about dead magic bands? This is getting ridiculous, especially with reports on other threads about cast members telling visitors that it is no longer possible to get cards for room and park admission (old KTTW cards, or similar).

With the money they spent, and all the things tied to your MB, you'd think Disney would have built in several layers of redundancy for this technology.
I completely agree EXCEPT for thinking they would have put out a better MB product/system. Their website(s) suck(s) - proof enough for me that they weren't quite ready to roll out a (close to) flawless system. We are supposed to be going to WDW in November - I am afraid to run into these issues. To those posters that refer to those who are COMPLETELY bummed about this happening to them on their vacation as petty or dramatic -- maybe you go too often. Consider that those who this really bums out might be on their only WDW vacation or maybe saved 5 years to be able to visit on a budget. YES - it would completely piss me off if I paid $1300 for ticket and CMs accuse me of not having tickets and then I get the priviledge of my park day ruined while I wait for 2 hours at GS instead of enjoying my park day with my family. But that's just me and to each our own idea of our well paid for vacation.

I totally agree with you. It does not matter how many people were affected. It matters that anyone was affected. Unless it is happening to you it is easy to pass judgment.
I was hesitant about the MB in the first place, now I am beginning to worry. Our trip is little less than two months away, we have our hotel, dining and fp+ reservations linked together. Is it even possible to request KTTW cards or will it cause more problems if we try to use them with our MB.

I totally agree with you. It does not matter how many people were affected. It matters that anyone was affected. Unless it is happening to you it is easy to pass judgment.
I was hesitant about the MB in the first place, now I am beginning to worry. Our trip is little less than two months away, we have our hotel, dining and fp+ reservations linked together. Is it even possible to request KTTW cards or will it cause more problems if we try to use them with our MB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter