No passports stuck in Canada. Help Please.

But Plaid I don't think she CAN fly to Seattle without a passport. With an enhanced DL she could go by land, it seems.

But if she has that, by my reading of the WHTI, she could board the cruise, too.

I'm sorry but this is not correct, you are still required to present proof of citizenship. They can accept a birth certificate and drivers license but just a drivers license is not enough to establish citizenship.

Unfortunately if you don't get your passports back from the airline you will most likely be denied entry into Canada and required to leave the country on the first flight back to the US at your own cost.

As others have stated I would try all the above numbers for the consulate and hope that a sympathetic individual can get you an emergency passport. But the airline would be your best bet. Hopefully the same plane you were on is scheduled to return to your airport. Also, depending on how long your cruise is you can still potentially catch up to the ship if you cannot board Monday depending on where your first stop is.

Best of luck, I can only imagine how stressful this is for you.

I thought it was changed that you need a passport, passport card, or an enhanced drivers license that is pretty much a passport card.

OP have you called the airline again? Perhaps it was found in NYC. Also even though you swear you didn't leave it at your home airport check there too just in case. Did you take them out to fill out the customs forms?

I thought it was changed that you need a passport, passport card, or an enhanced drivers license that is pretty much a passport card.

To fly back into the US as the OP is scheduled to do you are required to have a passport, passport cards or enhanced drivers licenses are not eligable. If they enter the US via land or sea then all 3 apply. But I was just commenting on what Canada will accept in order to enter as that's the OP's immediate issue. They can always get an emergency passport to get back into the US once their cruise is finished.

To fly back into the US as the OP is scheduled to do you are required to have a passport, passport cards or enhanced drivers licenses are not eligable. If they enter the US via land or sea then all 3 apply. But I was just commenting on what Canada will accept in order to enter as that's the OP's immediate issue. They can always get an emergency passport to get back into the US once their cruise is finished.

That is what I was commenting on as well. I see now that it is reentry into the US that makes the passport required not entry into Cananda.

That is what I was commenting on as well. I see now that it is reentry into the US that makes the passport required not entry into Cananda.
Well, it's required for entry into Canada, if you fly into Canada from a foreign country. Yes, the OP used the passports to get on the plane, but they were only checking that she had the proper documents for use at the other end. She needs the passport to get out of the airport. Or she'll be placed on the next flight back to the US.

Well, it's required for entry into Canada, if you fly into Canada from a foreign country. Yes, the OP used the passports to get on the plane, but they were only checking that she had the proper documents for use at the other end. She needs the passport to get out of the airport. Or she'll be placed on the next flight back to the US.

I understand that as well. The quoted conversation was about ground transportation not flying. It could have been a back up option but doesn't seem to be the case if the cruise requires the passport as well.

Thankfully you have a few days to work things out before your cruise.
Try going to the frequent flyer lounge for the airline you flew with. The people that work in that area are the best of the best and hopefully can track it down.
Please let us know when things work out.

Thankfully you have a few days to work things out before your cruise.
Try going to the frequent flyer lounge for the airline you flew with. The people that work in that area are the best of the best and hopefully can track it down.
Please let us know when things work out.
Well she actually only has today and tomorrow morning (the ship sails Monday). Today is Sunday and tomorrow is a US holiday. Could be an issue. Hopefully the emergency number posted will help. Since she's not been back to post since last night, maybe she's getting something done today.

We cruised a couple of years ago out of Port Canaveral and my mom left her Passport at home. To get on the cruise she just had to have someone fax a copy of her birth certificate and combine that with her driver's license to get on the boat, so that may be an option for the cruise and then you can figure out the Passport when you return from the cruise.

We cruised a couple of years ago out of Port Canaveral and my mom left her Passport at home. To get on the cruise she just had to have someone fax a copy of her birth certificate and combine that with her driver's license to get on the boat, so that may be an option for the cruise and then you can figure out the Passport when you return from the cruise.
I'm not sure if DCL does, but many cruise lines require a passport for Alaskan cruises. Yes, it's a closed-loop cruise, but in port, some excursions cross the Canadian border, and those require a passport (in my experience). So the cruiselines won't let anyone board who doesn't have the necessary documents to cross the border, even if you're not on one of those excursions.

From the DCL website:
Guests without proper documentation will be denied boarding.

Required Documents for U.S Citizens
U.S. Citizens Traveling To or Returning From Canada (Vancouver) by Air

All Guests claiming U.S. Citizenship, including children, must provide:
  • A valid U.S. Passport
Photocopies of passports are not acceptable.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/passport-travel-documentation/

From the Canadian Govt website:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

Visitors to Canada
Identification requirements for United States citizens and permanent residents
If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Whether you're entering by air, land or water, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the U.S. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

I'm sorry but this is not correct, you are still required to present proof of citizenship. They can accept a birth certificate and drivers license but just a drivers license is not enough to establish citizenship.

I stand corrected on the entry requirements to Canada. As with all things, it's always possible for them to grant special dispensation, given the circumstances. All of the travelers have passports, and CBSA and/or the airline will have access to the details, including passport numbers, since they will be on the flight manifest as the airline collected the information at check-in. So, they can run their checks just as if the passport was physically presented. I'm not sure what their rules are for such a situation, but it would not surprise me to find that they would admit US citizens in such a circumstance, even though they don't have to. The OP has certainly resolved this part of the puzzle by now, as they've either been admitted to Canada, or were returned to the US by now.

If you can't recover the items I'd see about flying to Seattle... they have a big passport office with emergency services, and you might be able to turn around in time for your cruise?

As someone else already mentioned, they won't be able to fly to Seattle from Vancouver without passports (unless they were denied entry to Canada and chose to fly to Seattle instead of back to their home airport).

But Plaid I don't think she CAN fly to Seattle without a passport. With an enhanced DL she could go by land, it seems.

But if she has that, by my reading of the WHTI, she could board the cruise, too.

Well, there's a catch. The rules say that you need to have passport, passport card, or enhanced DL to cross the land border into the US. But, if you are a US citizen and get to a land border in the US, you cannot be denied entry for any reason. A regular DL will do. No ID will do. They will of course have to verify your identity before letting you in, but that should not be a problem in this case, as all travelers have passports issued to them and they can easily be pulled up at the border. In this case, since the travelers lack the required documents on their person, they could be assessed a civil fine, but they'll be admitted for sure. I personally doubt that, given the circumstances, they would get a fine, if they approach the situation with contriteness and politeness at the border. US citizens trying to cross the border without proper documents and act like a jerk about it might earn the civil fine to help adjust their attitude.

So, they can definitely travel by land to Seattle, then deal with the passport office there, or fly back home on a domestic flight without replacing their passports if they chose to do so.

That's true for entry into the US (with the caveat I mentioned above). But ID plus proof of citizenship is still okay for entry into Canada. In practice, this means you need to meet the US standard for re-entry into Canada, as otherwise how will you get back? That aside, Canada never updated their law to require passport or enhanced DL for entry.

Also even though you swear you didn't leave it at your home airport check there too just in case. Did you take them out to fill out the customs forms?

Customs forms are passed out on the aircraft, so that's where they'd be if that was the case. Also, they will check passports upon boarding the aircraft, not just at check-in, so the fact that they flew the flight almost certainly means that they are on board the aircraft and not at some prior point.

You're missing an important part of the situation: One issue is getting admitted to Canada, which has already been dealt with one way or the other. The other is getting on the cruise ship. Setting aside DCL rules, closed loop cruises to Alaska from Vancouver are handled in a special manner: You pass through US CBP at the Vancouver cruise terminal, and are admitted to the US at that point. You remain admitted to the US during your entire stay on the ship. This is what allows you to get off at each US port in Alaska without having to go through CBP inspection. So, just before you get on the boat, while at the Vancouver cruise terminal, you pass through a sea port of entry to the US. So, you must meet US documentation requirements at that point, which are passport, passport card, or enhanced DL. And, you can't claim the "US citizen has unconditional right to be admitted" exception I talked about above because you're not on US soil. That's not to say that they wouldn't still admit you, given the circumstances, but they don't have to and I would not count on it.

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not sure if DCL does, but many cruise lines require a passport for Alaskan cruises. Yes, it's a closed-loop cruise, ...

The normal rules for "Closed loop" cruises that we discuss here so often do not apply in this situation, since the cruise does not begin and end in the US.

The normal rules for "Closed loop" cruises that we discuss here so often do not apply in this situation, since the cruise does not begin and end in the US.
Good catch, quite right.

But it still stands that there are cruise lines that require a passport for their Alaska cruises. All I know about DCL is they say that US citizens flying to/from Canada from the US must have a passport. But I don't know if that means they have to have it to board the ship.

Setting aside DCL rules, closed loop cruises to Alaska from Vancouver are handled in a special manner: You pass through US CBP at the Vancouver cruise terminal, and are admitted to the US at that point. You remain admitted to the US during your entire stay on the ship. This is what allows you to get off at each US port in Alaska without having to go through CBP inspection. So, just before you get on the boat, while at the Vancouver cruise terminal, you pass through a sea port of entry to the US. So, you must meet US documentation requirements at that point, which are passport, passport card, or enhanced DL. And, you can't claim the "US citizen has unconditional right to be admitted" exception I talked about above because you're not on US soil. That's not to say that they wouldn't still admit you, given the circumstances, but they don't have to and I would not count on it.

Im getting nit picky here, but you cannot call it a closed loop since it still originates in Vancouver even if you pass through customs right away. For much the same reason you cannot sail to Vancouver from Seattle and then turn around and sail right back to Seattle, because it violates the law requiring a visit to a distant foreign port on non-closed loop cruises. I know, nit picky, sorry.

OH I just feel so bad for this Dis'er. I hope she's found some help.

It being a holiday weekend (do consulates take off in-country holidays as well? If so those employees haven't been at work since Thursday!) really throws it all for a loop, since the webpage specifically said that emergency passports are only given during normal business hours.

But, if you are a US citizen and get to a land border in the US, you cannot be denied entry for any reason.

The trick for her is getting to one.

So, they can definitely travel by land to Seattle, then deal with the passport office there

If she can get there.

I'm picturing what I know of the Vancouver airport, and at least last night she hadn't gone through customs, so she wasn't "in" Canada, so to speak. She has to get "into" Canada before making her way to a border.

One issue is getting admitted to Canada, which has already been dealt with one way or the other.

Maybe. Possibly. Or maybe she's still in the gate area.

Can you even get to the in-airport hotel without exiting customs?

Immediately call the Disney Cruise Line and ask what your options are. Immediately present to a Canadian Customs Officer and ask for their assistance. They may have telephone numbers of emergency embassy contacts. You probably aren't the first person who this has happened to. Also, call your travel insurance carrier, and let them know you may have an interupted travel claim. They may also have advice for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter