No other MHP reviews?

ten6mom

DIS Veteran
I thought by now there would be many reviews of the first few (3?) MHP's but I haven't see anything beyond one of the first night! Am I missing them or are they really not there?

I was curious about this as well! I know a lot of people went to the first few parties, but haven't heard very much about them.

@Kilala - I remember you talking about going to one of the first parties on the Halloween thread! Do you have any reviews on it? You got great pictures from years past! :)

The lack of reviews does seem rather weird, even though there haven't been that many parties yet. Hoping that more reviews will roll in after this weekend.

We went to Wednesday's party. Going to the party started out 5 years ago as just DS and me and has grown to include about 20 friends. We dressed as a theme and had a blast, I'm sure we'll be back next year. That said a bit of the bloom is off the rose for me this year.

The Great:
Bag Check and Entry:
very, very quick. Bag check was a walk up, all lines open at approx. 2:40 (coming from DD), CM's directing people to lines, one person got wanded very pleasantly, it was all super quick. They opened the gates to partiers around 2:45. All of us had tix scanned on our phones, very easy.

Ride Lines:
as short as ever. Virtually walk ons all night incl. Space, ST and Matterhorn. Lines were even extremely short in the 3-6 period with FP's still available (we pulled Indy, Haunted and Thunder in this period.) The heat coulda been keeping non-partiers away.

River Area: great atmosphere as always. Love the Dans and talking scarecrows.

Fireworks: just great

The Meh:
Costumed Guests:
dramatic decline, took a bit of the festive atmosphere out.

Parade: I know it's improved, but overall it's still meh. Fortunately we got a curbside spot 15 minutes before the second show. 30 minutes tops is what it's worth for us.

Treat Trails: these were an ugh to us and the set up this year clogged up the park. The trails have become major set ups with more taping off to include switchbacks and long roped off areas (ropes extended much further this year.) There were far more CM's acting as directionals with wands waving people in, through, around, etc. We skipped the Toon Town preparty this year in lieu of short ride lines and some character photos and didn't do trails till later. This part of the experience felt like we were just being herded around.

Big Thunder Ranch: boy do we miss this area :(

Ultimately I guess my feeling is that the party has just gotten too big for its britches. It's lost a bit of the special party atmosphere and felt more like a regular park experience with candy and fog thrown in. Disney doesn't really do quaint as well anymore. We will be back, but more for the special experience with our friends as opposed to a special Disney experience.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I just went last night and this was our first Halloween Party , as two adults we LOVED IT!!

We have AP's so we planned for an early dinner at Carnation Cafe st 3:50pm. We left DLH at 3:10pm and chose to take the monorail over and this worked great for us , virtually no wait for security. However if you ONLY have MHP tickets you need to go to the main gate.

After Carnation Cafe it was about 4:20pm ( we got say early since it was slow! ) we headed to Frontierland for our wristbands. Clearly marked line and moved quickly and easily. Easy !

We decided to ride a few things then lined up for the toontown pre-party by 5:30pm.
We were in the "third" section by this time about 3/4 up the toontown hill so not bad at all. We were let in by section ( the first was to the far right was let in first so in order). Everyone was orderly and we chose to line up for characters first.

This was an excellent strategy that led us to only wait about 15 minutes to meet Minnie and Mickey! Be aware they change out with chip and dale but we were early enough. The interaction was fantastic. My husband was dressed as Link from legend of Zelda and had a tiny foam sword prop and Mickey had fun with it..sooo awesome.

Right after we got our photo with Goofy which only took about 10 minutes then did all the treat trails at Toontown. The one through Minnie's house is cute and Mickey's house is SO LONG ITS AWESOME.

We were done by 7pm which was perfect so hit up the treat trail by Fantasyland theatre then decided to stalk out a spot for the parade. We grabbed curb side seats around 7:25pm facing Tomorrowland and many were already waiting but there were some scattered and second row seats remained until around 8:15pm in our area.

Parade was SO GOOD. Short but I knew that going in but very very good! Headless Horseman was fantastic too. As soon as parade ended we went towards the hub for fireworks. Our seating for the parade worked to our advantage since we were only " fighting" with a smaller group versus the whole of Main Street as well as the first parade ends at Main Street so sitting across from Tomorrowland was ideal. We had a pretty good view and the fireworks were amazing.I have actually never seen them and was not dissapointed!

The costumes and people watching was one of our favorite parts , so many imaginative and downright amazing ones.

We loved all the treat trails!! We got SO MUCH candy and treats! We didn't think they were clogged at all and most moved quickly. We forgot to go into Tomorrowland/fantasyland so can't comment there.

The Cadaver dans were spooky and set the ambiance in ways I can't explain. Awesome. The whole oark feels changed , the lighting , projections, I absolutely loved every moment.

I think the only downer was the lack of villain meet and greets mentioned on other reviews elsewhere. However the villains in the parade really made up for it for me.

Last thoughts : TOTALLY WORTH IT FOR DH AND I. Really happy we cancelled the BB dining package really would have hated to miss toontown pre-party. Take time to people watch it's so fun.

Where exactly were you seated for the parade? And did you see anyone carrying non-foam props? I am thinking of bringing a small broomstick (have used it before at other MHPs without problems), but am not sure if it will be an issue this year.

Where exactly were you seated for the parade? And did you see anyone carrying non-foam props? I am thinking of bringing a small broomstick (have used it before at other MHPs without problems), but am not sure if it will be an issue this year.

I was seated facing the Tommorland entrance sign/Astro Orbiter. I saw an adult Malificent with a large staff with a light in it that was as tall as her and my hubby used a plastic shield and foam sword.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 24
Anyone have the Blue Bayou menu? Is it pretty much the same as the PTN one?

my wife and I went last night, we hadn't been in at least 6 years- back when it was at DCA. We had a pretty good time, but felt some things were lacking.

No fast pass for Haunted Mansion and it was 60 minutes to wait. No thanks.

Not enough villains!

Treat lines moved super fast, I don't think we waited in one for more than 5 minutes.

SUPER bummed they didn't have poison apple mugs :(

I wasn't expecting it some of the stores and food places were closed.

I'm not sure. I can't imagine paying for a reserved spot at that parade. It was REALLY short.

Tl;dr: See Jack and Sally in the daytime, see Evil Queen, Queen of Hearts, and Cruella during the day, leaving just Maleficent for the party. The parade is awesome, but short. Make sure you can see the castle for fireworks. Do great trails later in the evening (short lines, less time to carry).

I also went Wednesday. I have tickets to two later parties with family and friends however after seeing pictures from the first night of the parade I decided I didn't want to wait and added another party!

I got to the structure around 3:40 and with short parking and tram likes I was to the gate by 4. Lines to get in were short, maybe 5 minutes. It did not seem crowded at all, even with the overlap, but I was just in town square before heading to NOS to wait for Jack and Sally. It was around 5 and there was one host there who was not allowing a line to form. I grabbed soup and waited across the way and moved over when a group stayed in the line despite being told there was no line. As it got closer more and more were lining up and they finally had people move inside the tape where I got further pushed back and people squeezes in in front. By 6 the normal daytime queue was filled. By the time they came out at 615 it had extended over past the soup place...and it had to be 1-1.5 hour wait at that point. I ended up being the 4th group in so it wasn't bad at all, but honestly, if you can, see them in the afternoon during the daytime hours and save party time for something else. I met them because I want to see the setup at night with the cool lights!

I headed from there to town square with a quick stop at Starbucks, which had no line, and then on to the villains. The set up is much different, two lines, one on each side of the train station. Cruella and Queen of Hearts switch off on one side, Maleficent and Evil Queen switch on the other. So yeah, only one villain per wait vs the 3 of previous years and terrible variety. Also no roaming characters in town square like the Tremaines, who aren't anywhere to meet, just in the parade. I ended up staying in town square for the parade and curbside seating was available up to pretty close to the start. After the parade there's a decent gap before fireworks start and Main Street was mostly empty. I found out where the walkway was going to be by the photo store and set out there so I was in the front of that section.

After fireworks I did a few treat trails and filled the bag they give up in 4 trails and then waited in town square again for the second parade. The party was basically over after however Maleficent and Cruella (I think) start the last set just about that time so if you wanted to maximize your time hop in her line at the end of the night, just make sure you make the cut off before they close it. It was around 1145 when we left.

Overall, it was good. Having done multiple parties each year for the last few years I know what to expect and despite the new parade, I was kind of left wanting more. The atmosphere I felt was lacking, without the roaming characters in town square and the individual lines for most characters you can meet during the day, it felt like they took a lot away and put it toward the parade. I was only on in (briefly) NOS and Main Street/Town Square because this was an add party for the parade so maybe it will feel better when I wander around the park. Town Square used to be so festive, with the multiple villains meeting and wandering, with the carriage that would come out, with the closing show...now it feels deserted. It really felt very very uncrowned as opposed to previous years and I'm wondering if that is because fewer people had a reason to linger in TS.

I also missed the elaborate guest costumes. It seems like there were fewer guests dressed up and those that were reigned it in this year, likely due to the new guidelines.

It's the regular Blue Bayou menu with one additional appetizer (crab cake), entree (short rib) and dessert (chocolate brownie mousse) to choose from.

Reactions: row
I was seated facing the Tommorland entrance sign/Astro Orbiter. I saw an adult Malificent with a large staff with a light in it that was as tall as her and my hubby used a plastic shield and foam sword.

Love the photo! Thanks for this info -- very helpful.

Seems the general consensus is that the party is underwhelming this year but just being at Disneyland for Halloween time in of itself is the saving grace!?

We went two years ago and one of our favorite areas was the Thunder Ranch with the villains meet and greet tent, pumpkin carving, petting zoo and kid activities. Its unfortunate that they didn't set something up similar somewhere else in the park. With that said I'm sure my kids will pay no attention to all that and will be on cloud nine just being in the park dressed up. I just wish experience compared to cost would be same if not better then when we went two years ago. Still very excited to see it for myself on Oct 12th!

Seems the general consensus is that the party is underwhelming this year but just being at Disneyland for Halloween time in of itself is the saving grace!?

We went two years ago and one of our favorite areas was the Thunder Ranch with the villains meet and greet tent, pumpkin carving, petting zoo and kid activities. Its unfortunate that they didn't set something up similar somewhere else in the park. With that said I'm sure my kids will pay no attention to all that and will be on cloud nine just being in the park dressed up. I just wish experience compared to cost would be same if not better then when we went two years ago. Still very excited to see it for myself on Oct 12th!

I don't think the general consensus is underwhelmed. Yes, we have seen that feedback - but I've also heard a lot of positive things - especially the low crowds. This is something I've seen mentioned a lot and I'm wondering if Disney decreased how many tickets they sold? I think expectations are different for people, especially frequent visitors. I think it's common that someone who goes every year, maybe even to multiple parties each year, may have higher standards or expectations than a first timer, ya know? Like you said, either way, I'm excited to see it myself. And I'll be at the same party as you!! Yay!!

I don't think the general consensus is underwhelmed. Yes, we have seen that feedback - but I've also heard a lot of positive things - especially the low crowds. This is something I've seen mentioned a lot and I'm wondering if Disney decreased how many tickets they sold? I think expectations are different for people, especially frequent visitors. I think it's common that someone who goes every year, maybe even to multiple parties each year, may have higher standards or expectations than a first timer, ya know? Like you said, either way, I'm excited to see it myself. And I'll be at the same party as you!! Yay!!

Disney selling fewer tix? Lol.

Disney selling fewer tix? Lol.
Haha! I know, huh? But I've seen a lot of people say these "sold out" parties seem less crowded then years prior, which seems odd considering the anticipation of the new parade and everything. I thought maybe that would explain the price increase this year...but you're probably right!

we are first time party goers, we are going to two parties hoping we can accomplish 90% of all the festivities
love love reading all the tips and tricks and reviews

Parade was SO GOOD. Short but I knew that going in but very very good! Headless Horseman was fantastic too. As soon as parade ended we went towards the hub for fireworks. Our seating for the parade worked to our advantage since we were only " fighting" with a smaller group versus the whole of Main Street as well as the first parade ends at Main Street so sitting across from Tomorrowland was ideal. We had a pretty good view and the fireworks were amazing.I have actually never seen them and was not dissapointed!

So we are going to our first MHP tomorrow night. I'm really trying to come up with a game plan for the 1st parade and fireworks. So where exactly did you grab a spot for the parade and what time did you go to grab a spot? If available would it be a good idea to grab a spot at the hub and just view both the parade and fireworks there? thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter