No more Stanby line for A&E?

I don't think the problem was created by fp+. The ultimate problem is supply and demand. But yes, they are testing a solution that looks a lot like legacy fp.

Sorry, the "problem" I was referring to was having guests completely shut out of an attraction 60 days before their vacation even begins and being forced until a multi-hour line instead. I do agree that the ultimate problem is a supply vs. demand disconnect, but that's in itself isn't a problem unique to A&E.

It will be interesting to see if this continues tomorrow since it was supposed to be a 3-day test and end today. If it continues, I can see it needing to be modified to return tickets with the date on it too (might run out of colors) and some way to control how many a person can get at once (hello....I have a party of 15..hmmm) but linking it to the magicband, and how long before you can get another ticket (sounds like legacy FP).

Oh, I really, really hope they continue this test for a few more days!! We're heading down for a quick two day trip Monday (DHS) and Tuesday (MK) for my older daughter's fifth birthday. I've told her that Anna and Elsa are too new to have a meet and greet, but she would lose her mind if she could see them on her birthday!

Sorry, the "problem" I was referring to was having guests completely shut out of an attraction 60 days before their vacation even begins and being forced until a multi-hour line instead. I do agree that the ultimate problem is a supply vs. demand disconnect, but that's in itself isn't a problem unique to A&E.

But if FP+ didn't exist, doesn't that just mean that EVERYONE would be forced either into a multi-hour line or a mad dash for old-style FP?

I'm not a big fan of FP+, but I really can't see this situation as being at all connected to it. Either way you'd have crazy waits and "running of the bulls" rope-drops, a la TSMM.

But if FP+ didn't exist, doesn't that just mean that EVERYONE would be forced either into a multi-hour line or a mad dash for old-style FP? I'm not a big fan of FP+, but I really can't see this situation as being at all connected to it. Either way you'd have crazy waits and "running of the bulls" rope-drops, a la TSMM.

That's what I was thinking. In fact, I would have thought that there was no hope to secure fastpass for it after that point until my recent situation. I had fp scheduled for my upcoming August trip, and I was about a week late in booking past 60 days. I was still able to get an afternoon time, 1:30-2:30 it was on the day we were leaving but I figured we would just have to leave after that. Then, someone else canceled the fastpass. I was certain we were SOL as the only time was for 10pm. However, I managed to get one on Tuesday from 1:40-2:40.
I have been unsuccessful in finding ANY mine train times to replace the ones that we had that were also cancelled, and not by me.

Okay, it looks like the nomenclature of "Standby+" is starting to become accepted (in fact, I'm surprised I'm not seeing not "SB+" yet!), but I think I would like to take a stab at proposing an alternative if it's not too late.

Now, we are seeing Standby+ because it seems a logical parallel to FP+. However, accepting a + for this new item suggests that we should assign it a similar meaning as the + in FP+. So let's consider the possible meanings of the + in FP+ and see if we can find something that would be broadly (I would dare say universally) accepted by the DIS community, an then see if we could then apply that same meaning to this new Standby thing.

Okay, what does the + mean in FP+? I expect that Disney viewed the + as signifying an enhancement of the FP system. However, since it is us DISers that are inventing this next word, and not Disney, then I do not think we accept without question Disney's assertion that the + in FP+ means "better". Indeed, anyone that has read the boards over the last several months would certainly agree that there is not consensus that FP+ better than original FP. Many a thread have devolved into Disney haters and Disney apologists squaring off over whether FP+ is the root of all evil or manna from heaven, with most of the rest of us just watching in amusement as we go down that path once again. I am not (at least in this post) going to state whether one side or the other is correct in his debate; it is sufficient for my purposes here simply to show that there is not consensus that FP+ means "better FP". Similarly then, as some DISers already appear to be judging this new potential standby system to be a really bad thing, it would not be fair to force them to accept the label of "Standby+" on the premise that the + means it is better than the old way of doing standby.

If we don't all think that FP+ means better FP, then what else could it mean? We might posit that it means simply a "next generation FP", sort of like as if we were saying "FP version 2.0". Certainly most of us would agree, FP+ supporters and detractors alike, the FP+ is a change from the old system of FP. Under this way of thinking, we might all agree that we accept that the + in FP+ could be indicative of merely a change moving forward in the FP system (irrespective of whether that change may or may not be a good thing). Unfortunately, I do not think it would be appropriate to extend that thinking into the creation of a "Standby+" terminology for this new thing they are testing at the A&E M&G. While some would argue that this is a change to the traditional standby system (i.e. it still uses the standby queue, it is still first come first serve), others are already arguing that it is actually more akin to the old FP system (i.e. paper ticket with a return time). With this train of thought, we could end up arguing whether this new thing is better referred to as "Standby+" or "FP-". The DIS community remains unresolved in finding a name that works for all.

Is there anything else, then, that we could possibly agree to as both satisfying our use of FP+, and could at the same time lead us to some acceptable term for this new thing as well? (I know, the two of you still reading at this point must be on pins and needles.) I have one more thing that I thought of, and as stupid as it sounds, it just might work. What if we all accepted that the + in FP+ could be representative of the fact that there were additional FP opportunities added with the new system? Under the FP+ there certainly are many more rides, M&G, etc. for which you can get FP than under the old system. Let us now apply that thinking to what we have going on now with A&E. In this new case, the opportunities to use traditional standby is being reduced (perhaps only by one attraction, and only for the peak hours of the day, but reduced nonetheless). So, here we finally have a naming mechanism for this new thing they are doing at A&E...

...IN PARALLEL WITH FASTPASS PLUS, DISNEY HAS NOW GIVEN US STANDBY MINUS!

There we have it. Given that I have spent as much time typing this silly thing as some people (used to) spend in line waiting to see A&E, I will now pretend that any counter arguments others may make are without merit; my genius in this is clear and you need not waste your time even trying. I EXPECT AND DEMAND THAT STANDBY MINUS BE THE ONLY TERM PEOPLE USE FROM NOW ON FOR WHAT IS BEING TESTED AT A&E!!! (Is there some way to indicate sarcasm in type so as to avoid some people getting actually mad at me? probably not, oh well.)

Good night.

P.S. Feel free to abbreviate as SB-

But if FP+ didn't exist, doesn't that just mean that EVERYONE would be forced either into a multi-hour line or a mad dash for old-style FP? I'm not a big fan of FP+, but I really can't see this situation as being at all connected to it. Either way you'd have crazy waits and "running of the bulls" rope-drops, a la TSMM.

Except running of the bulls was an equalizer.

This is just making a messy situation even harder to explain to newbies.

Okay, it looks like the nomenclature of "Standby+" is starting to become accepted (in fact, I'm surprised I'm not seeing not "SB+" yet!), but I think I would like to take a stab at proposing an alternative if it's not too late.

Now, we are seeing Standby+ because it seems a logical parallel to FP+. However, accepting a + for this new item suggests that we should assign it a similar meaning as the + in FP+. So let's consider the possible meanings of the + in FP+ and see if we can find something that would be broadly (I would dare say universally) accepted by the DIS community, an then see if we could then apply that same meaning to this new Standby thing.

Okay, what does the + mean in FP+? I expect that Disney viewed the + as signifying an enhancement of the FP system. However, since it is us DISers that are inventing this next word, and not Disney, then I do not think we accept without question Disney's assertion that the + in FP+ means "better". Indeed, anyone that has read the boards over the last several months would certainly agree that there is not consensus that FP+ better than original FP. Many a thread have devolved into Disney haters and Disney apologists squaring off over whether FP+ is the root of all evil or manna from heaven, with most of the rest of us just watching in amusement as we go down that path once again. I am not (at least in this post) going to state whether one side or the other is correct in his debate; it is sufficient for my purposes here simply to show that there is not consensus that FP+ means "better FP". Similarly then, as some DISers already appear to be judging this new potential standby system to be a really bad thing, it would not be fair to force them to accept the label of "Standby+" on the premise that the + means it is better than the old way of doing standby.

If we don't all think that FP+ means better FP, then what else could it mean? We might posit that it means simply a "next generation FP", sort of like as if we were saying "FP version 2.0". Certainly most of us would agree, FP+ supporters and detractors alike, the FP+ is a change from the old system of FP. Under this way of thinking, we might all agree that we accept that the + in FP+ could be indicative of merely a change moving forward in the FP system (irrespective of whether that change may or may not be a good thing). Unfortunately, I do not think it would be appropriate to extend that thinking into the creation of a "Standby+" terminology for this new thing they are testing at the A&E M&G. While some would argue that this is a change to the traditional standby system (i.e. it still uses the standby queue, it is still first come first serve), others are already arguing that it is actually more akin to the old FP system (i.e. paper ticket with a return time). With this train of thought, we could end up arguing whether this new thing is better referred to as "Standby+" or "FP-". The DIS community remains unresolved in finding a name that works for all.

Is there anything else, then, that we could possibly agree to as both satisfying our use of FP+, and could at the same time lead us to some acceptable term for this new thing as well? (I know, the two of you still reading at this point must be on pins and needles.) I have one more thing that I thought of, and as stupid as it sounds, it just might work. What if we all accepted that the + in FP+ could be representative of the fact that there were additional FP opportunities added with the new system? Under the FP+ there certainly are many more rides, M&G, etc. for which you can get FP than under the old system. Let us now apply that thinking to what we have going on now with A&E. In this new case, the opportunities to use traditional standby is being reduced (perhaps only by one attraction, and only for the peak hours of the day, but reduced nonetheless). So, here we finally have a naming mechanism for this new thing they are doing at A&E...

...IN PARALLEL WITH FASTPASS PLUS, DISNEY HAS NOW GIVEN US STANDBY MINUS!

There we have it. Given that I have spent as much time typing this silly thing as some people (used to) spend in line waiting to see A&E, I will now pretend that any counter arguments others may make are without merit; my genius in this is clear and you need not waste your time even trying. I EXPECT AND DEMAND THAT STANDBY MINUS BE THE ONLY TERM PEOPLE USE FROM NOW ON FOR WHAT IS BEING TESTED AT A&E!!! (Is there some way to indicate sarcasm in type so as to avoid some people getting actually mad at me? probably not, oh well.)

Good night.

P.S. Feel free to abbreviate as SB-

Makes perfect sense to me.:rotfl2:

Sorry to not read it all-but were/are they (WDW) planning to have all A&E guests use FP+ and in effect wait app 10 minutes per guest? Instead of the 3 hours per guest at EPCOT? My friend is down there and just did US/IOA and said they waited 4 hours at the new HP ride-and that everyone has to wait that long or longer no exceptions, and many guests still didn't get on anyway?

Regardless she wants to try to see A&E but I said it sounded like you need a FP+, it sounds like there is some standby though? Although she said will never do 4 hours again for anything-esp to meet a Princess. TIA.

AndreaA said:
But if FP+ didn't exist, doesn't that just mean that EVERYONE would be forced either into a multi-hour line or a mad dash for old-style FP?

I'm not a big fan of FP+, but I really can't see this situation as being at all connected to it. Either way you'd have crazy waits and "running of the bulls" rope-drops, a la TSMM.

Disneyland seemed to have solved the running of the bulls for this at rope drop (maybe its same at Magic Kingdom now too). They had it where everyone go through the gates about 20 min or so before rope drop and then started a line by the rope (main circle in front of the castle) just for the A&E people, and then open lining up along the rope for the non A&E people. There the A&E peeps were directed in a nice calming one by oneish line past the rope to A&E area in Fantasyland. After they had those people walked through they did the rope drop... and thennnnn the running of the bulls commenced to Peter Pans Flight for everyone else. Guess they all can't be winners.

I hope someone reports back today if the tickets are continuing or stopped.

Still waiting. :) Are these crazy people off doing rides when they know we're here waiting to hear feedback from the A/E standby line? :rotfl:

Yeah, somebody always goes there. The parks were far less crowded and less costly in those days (among other vast differences), I'd love to get in a time machine and visit Disney in the 70s or 80s again.

Heck, I'd even pay 2014 prices to do it! :)

Exactly - see, e.g., the mad dash and 4 to 5 hour waits that existed when they were at the Norway Pavilion in EPCOT without FP+.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter