No more Splash Mountain during evening EMH

ok, I really, really, really hesitated to post this. In fact, I did not post anything for a while because frankly, I know what my opinion is,and I did not feel the urge to be attacked by the no-holds barred supporters. Which I used to be. Until my last trip earlier this month. Let me start by saying, I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I am merely stating where I am in my Disney journey. That is all. No need to bash me, or try to change my mind.

We went to WDW with my family the beginning of August. We have been 6 other times with our family at various times of the year including easter break, OCtober, spring break, June and I think one July. My kids are, admmittedly older now (18 and 13) but both big disney fans.

We have always stayed on site. This time we stayed at Universal first, and then moved to Disney (POR) after 4 days. At the end of the 10 day trip, they and my DH all said we could have stayed at universal for more days, hit the beach for a few days and saved some money. The crowds and lines were unbearable. The only new thing that really jazzed them since our last trip (2007) was TSM, and the rides TOT, RNR, and Splash mountain were out for various times (long extended times) the entire week.

The only time we enjoyed MK even a little was the EHM night, and we were there until 2am (watching parents push strollers with and carry sleeping babies all over the place). Both said it would be a long time before they ever had to see MK ever again. We love eating and shopping at Epcot, we love DHS atmophere and rides, and we even enjoyed AK more than we ever have. Not so much with MK and without the Splash mountain as part of an EMH no way.

Sad that the most enjoyable aprt of the MK trip - Splash Mountain at night with EMH- will no longer be part of the EMh . Space Mtn was still a 45 min waitat 1:00 am. UNreal.

looks like the WDW business philosphy and my $$ shall part ways for a while. We all agreed we love the resorts, they are beautiful., and tehre are still many things we enjoy about Disney, but i do not think we will be visiting again soon. Maybe with the grandkids one day ...... (but a Disney cruise - for now, that it is a different story completely!)

This is really disappointing. SM is one of our favourite EMH rides. :sad1:

Why is disney raising prices and then cutting services? So unfair.

If you are going to take out key attractions during EMHs then extend the park hours IMO.

I completely agree! The challenge with the Fall months is also that having the Halloween parties running through nearly 2 months, in addition to the earlier closing times, the non party days and nights are SO busy! :crowded: It's nice to be able to rely on EMH (which aren't even particularly quiet at that time of the year with the restricted number of days of the park open for the evenings!) to get those extra rides in. Although we are rope drop people, we do the extremes and work our days around EMH and rope drops.

Has there been any other report of this change other than WDW Magic? I read the link to that report, and it says quite simply

"The Magic Kingdom is modifying its evening Extra Magic Hours line-up beginning next week, August 26 2012.

Splash Mountain is being removed from the available attractions, and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room will be taking its place."

The post does not indicate whether this is permanent or not

Splash Mountain - takes lots of cast members to staff it
Tiki room - not so many

is Splash going under rehab, they often have rehabs in the winter.

I just told DS 20 about no more Splash at EMH. His response "That's why I still go. Guess I'm done with Disney now."
This is probably the one thing that would cause my boys to stop going. I'm really unhappy about this decision.

This decision, (and the above poster's reaction to it) are what I have been lamenting for several years now. It is the unabashed Princess-ification of WDW in general, and the MK in particular. While Universal/IOA goes out of its way to add attractions that appeal to boys and teens, Disney has charted a one-way course to make itself into a Princess lover's theme park. What has Disney done in the past 5 years that would appeal to a boy, or a visitor age 13-20? More Princess meet and greets. An entire FL re-do which is heavily weighted to little girls. And now they take away a ride that appeals to boys and teens (which is not to say that it doesn't appeal to girls and people of all ages, but if you ask a 14 year old boy to rate the rides at the MK, Splash Mt is going to be top 5 every time).

The emascualtion of EMH is getting complete, as they are shutting the park down earlier and eliminating thrill rides from EMH. Pretty soon, there will be no need to keep the park open until midnight, because that is way past little snowflake's bedtime. Gone are the days when visitors without kids and parents with teens could have the park to themselves and ride thrill rides until 2:00 a.m.. Here are the days when all the fun is geared toward 5 year-old girls wearing princess dresses and tiaras.

This decision, (and the above poster's reaction to it) are what I have been lamenting for several years now. It is the unabashed Princess-ification of WDW in general, and the MK in particular. While Universal/IOA goes out of its way to add attractions that appeal to boys and teens, Disney has charted a one-way course to make itself into a Princess lover's theme park. What has Disney done in the past 5 years that would appeal to a boy, or a visitor age 13-20? More Princess meet and greets. An entire FL re-do which is heavily weighted to little girls. And now they take away a ride that appeals to boys and teens (which is not to say that it doesn't appeal to girls and people of all ages, but if you ask a 14 year old boy to rate the rides at the MK, Splash Mt is going to be top 5 every time).

The emascualtion of EMH is getting complete, as they are shutting the park down earlier and eliminating thrill rides from EMH. Pretty soon, there will be no need to keep the park open until midnight, because that is way past little snowflake's bedtime. Gone are the days when visitors without kids and parents with teens could have the park to themselves and ride thrill rides until 2:00 a.m.. Here are the days when all the fun is geared toward 5 year-old girls wearing princess dresses and tiaras.

Wow... Such a deep analysis based on the closing of a ride for EMH. While I totally disagree with you I am amazed at your thoughts. Quite interesting!!

Contrary to DIS belief a decent amount of people do enjoy Tiki Room.

I have to disagree with that statement.

I would estimate quite the opposite.

I think a far greater number of DIS members would be in the camp to support the classic Tiki Room than those guests who are new to the parks or have just a casual interest in WDW.

Tiki Room has an historical link to Walt Disney (and, therefore his fans,) but other than that fan-connection, and a catchy tune or two from decades that have long slipped into history, there not much there but some mechanical flapping of feathers.

I have to disagree with that statement.

I would estimate quite the opposite.

I think a far greater number of DIS members would be in the camp to support classic Tiki than those guests who are new to the parks or have just a casual interest in WDW.

I didn't mean just DIS members. What does it matter if they have a casual interest? If they enjoy it they enjoy it.

This absolutely stinks! Nighttime is our absolute favorite time to ride Splash. Sure the day is fun but it doesn't even come close to the fun at night!

More and more I feel like Disney only is trying to do things to appeal to those visitors who come once or twice. They ignore those of us who have remained loyal as they see us being hooked. No need to do things to bring is back because they believe they have us right where they want us. This change isn't the only problem but it certainly is an example of continued ignorance to maintaining the Disney spirit!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I didn't mean just DIS members. What does it matter if they have a casual interest? If they enjoy it they enjoy it.

But, we have hard evidence that the Tiki Room is not held in high regard by casual guests.

It has a major history of mid-show (if that late) guest "walk-outs."

Those walk-outs (and empty-running shows) were the reason they tried the New Management version to begin-with.

The only place anyone gets excited about a return to "classic Tiki" is on a Disney fan site.

Wow... Such a deep analysis based on the closing of a ride for EMH.

It is not an analysis based on the closing on a ride for EMH. As stated in the first sentence of my post, this is something that has been building at WDW for quite some time. The addition of more princess meet and greets. The addition of more princess character meals. The huge expansion of FL to add more space for princesses. The elimination of the "hard-ticket" E-Ticket nights, which were populated almost entirely by people over the age of 8. I can't think of a single thing that has been done at WDW in the past 5 years that could be considered a counter-attack to the fact that Universal is winning the battle for teen (and male) attention. It's as of Disney has given up and is conceding the point. The closing of SM on EMH days is not the root cause. Just another example of how they don't feel any need to engage visitos who are over 12. I'm willing to debate the point. Since you disagree with the premise, then you must have some examples of things that Disney has done in the past 5 years to lure in boys and teens. I'd love to compare and contrast those efforts to the money it has spent appeasing little girls. (And there is no prejudice here. I have a daughter, and no sons. But now that she is solidly in her teens, she, like other posters have noted, is feeling left behind by Disney.)

Has there been any other report of this change other than WDW Magic? I read the link to that report, and it says quite simply

"The Magic Kingdom is modifying its evening Extra Magic Hours line-up beginning next week, August 26 2012.

Splash Mountain is being removed from the available attractions, and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room will be taking its place."

The post does not indicate whether this is permanent or not

This is my question as well. I have never been to that site so I'm assuming by other posters' reaction that is a credible one. But I haven't seen any other word of this news other than repeated from that particular source, and I haven't seen a cast member response either (unless one of the previously mentioned posters is a cast member that I didn't recognize).

I'd rather wait and see what develops before getting all raised up.

I completely, absolutely, 100% agree!! Well said.:thumbsup2

:headache:
bad enough the week we are there the lastest the park is open with EMH is 11pm. Thats when we love to ride SM the most...is at night!
real bummer

This is really sad, and disappointing. I will be so upset if they get rid of EMHs altogether. They are magical for my family.
Disney seems to be ripping us off. PmEMH reduced to 2 hours, dining plan prices raised to a ridiculous amount, and even getting rid of 1 snack on the QSDP. that is a potential loss of $20 a day for a family of five.
I just love WDW. But to keep raising prices whilst offering less and less- it makes me angry.

This whole fastpass thing worries me too. I would prefer EMHs!!! Disney, please, DO NOT make these changes, DO NOT take away from our vacation when we are paying more and more, and STOP trying to squeeze as much money as you can out of us! You will lose valued return customers.

What are they doing to the most magical place on earth. It feels more like 'the most magical place on earth if you are willing to pay more for it'.

Please Disney. Keep EMHs, keep SM open for EMH and stop raising prices at such a greedy amount! :(

JimmyV said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by fbarker

Wow... Such a deep analysis based on the closing of a ride for EMH.

It is not an analysis based on the closing on a ride for EMH. As stated in the first sentence of my post, this is something that has been building at WDW for quite some time. The addition of more princess meet and greets. The addition of more princess character meals. The huge expansion of FL to add more space for princesses. The elimination of the "hard-ticket" E-Ticket nights, which were populated almost entirely by people over the age of 8. I can't think of a single thing that has been done at WDW in the past 5 years that could be considered a counter-attack to the fact that Universal is winning the battle for teen (and male) attention. It's as of Disney has given up and is conceding the point. The closing of SM on EMH days is not the root cause. Just another example of how they don't feel any need to engage visitos who are over 12. I'm willing to debate the point. Since you disagree with the premise, then you must have some examples of things that Disney has done in the past 5 years to lure in boys and teens. I'd love to compare and contrast those efforts to the money it has spent appeasing little girls. (And there is no prejudice here. I have a daughter, and no sons. But now that she is solidly in her teens, she, like other posters have noted, is feeling left behind by Disney.)

I do agree to an extent but think just for arguments sake you are forgetting about avatar land, test track refurb, star tours, and even though it is beyond your arbitrary 5 year mark lma is very much geared to teenagers. could also talk about enhancements to poc which are definitely not geared to the princess crowd you mention and minor enhancements to space mountain.

I think the stuff is there, or coming, it is just that right now the princesses are top billing, and the closing of splash doesn't help that perception.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

I think we're on to something here...

Ok, fine, you can drop Space Mountain but ramp up the spin on CoP until it's at Mission Space levels!! Cut Peter Pan but keep Tom Sawyer Island open and add BEARS!!

Let's get some adrenaline going for our 2 hour EMHs!

I nearly spat out my cup of tea.. LOL.. what about a spot of bungee-jumping from Swiss Family treehouse :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter