No more reselling kids clothes???

This was on the news tonight here in Oklahoma City...

http://www.news9.com/

The video is on the top right side of the front page.

I cannot imagine them putting all these places essentially out of business. I wait anxiously for clarification.

My son is almost 4 years old and in that time, we have purchased about 20 total items "off the rack" but still on sale. I cannot imagine being unable to shop at thrift stores and consignment sales. The woman in the video puts on a HUGE sale and this is where about 75% of my son's clothing comes from--major name brands too. I get the rest from friends-we pass clothing around-and from garage sales.

I would much rather spend my money going to Mickey's House (as my son calls WDW) than on anything retail!:thumbsup2

I wrote my Congressman today on this issue...am awaiting his response (yes, even that canned response) to see what his office says about it.

I shop majority consignment sales and sell my used clothes and toys there too...would hate to see these options go away.

This was on the news tonight here in Oklahoma City...

http://www.news9.com/

The video is on the top right side of the front page.

I cannot imagine them putting all these places essentially out of business. I wait anxiously for clarification.

My son is almost 4 years old and in that time, we have purchased about 20 total items "off the rack" but still on sale. I cannot imagine being unable to shop at thrift stores and consignment sales. The woman in the video puts on a HUGE sale and this is where about 75% of my son's clothing comes from--major name brands too. I get the rest from friends-we pass clothing around-and from garage sales.

I would much rather spend my money going to Mickey's House (as my son calls WDW) than on anything retail!:thumbsup2

Well that at least had some response from the CPSC, but it sounded pretty canned.

So now, in addition to the 10's of thousand of people losing their jobs, consignment stores may have to close, independent crafters will have to stop crafting, etc. This stupid act sounds like a GREAT way to boost the economy...Give me a break!

Also, instead of our city's finest patrolling for "drug houses", are they going to have to patrol for "used-clothing houses"? :)

Yes, let's stop buying used kids clothes and toys containing lead so we can buy new kids clothes and toys containing lead. Makes sense, huh? :rolleyes:

Yes, let's stop buying used kids clothes and toys containing lead so we can buy new kids clothes and toys containing lead. Makes sense, huh? :rolleyes:

That's along the lines of what I was thinking while reading some posts.

Instead of Congress enacting this plan and spending money wisely for the NEW GOODS they're importing into our country for sale as new, they're going to worry about used stuff?

Hey look everyone - why is that horse following that cart?

The days of stay at home moms being able to supplement the family's income by crafting will be over soon if this does not change. No one except big business will be able to afford this testing, and they will be passing the cost on to us.:sad1:

The thing is that even if it really isn't enforceable, but the law stands it will still make many suffer. It turns people who had legitimate businesses into a sort of underground. oooh scary underground toy makers, or baby blanket sewers. ... makes Santa's elves look like moonshiners ...

Even if you can make your items on the sly, you want your business to be legitimate.

I'm still formulating the right response yet and will be sending out angry letters tomorrow.

I just made an appointment at my favorite consignment store to bring in some clothes?? Wouldn't they be the first to know? Something does not seem right here!!!!!!!!!!!

The thrift shops too! They can not take donations until you prove that you tested the clouthing before donating!!!
I love buying items there as Halloween or outfits for play, even second hand household, or toys...

My goodness this will impact all of society...what will it be hazardous waste to dispose of :confused3

From the article it says let your voice be heard...maybe the details and limits are not set yet.

Look at the huge bail out with our tax dollars and nothing documented to guidlines how to be used, paying it back, how much who gets for what. Why line the pockets of the CEO's to loan them money when we don;t have jobs to buy a car?:rotfl2:
di

This is nuts... I have never personally purchased any of my DD's clothing from a re-sale shop but I have received some really awesome clothing from friends, ya know hand-me-downs. (p.s. for all my budget buddies I don't EVER pay retail I just shop sales :thumbsup2 ) But I am a bit of a renegade :rolleyes1 ..... I think I'll stop by Goodwill today!!!! Hey, I have an extra room in my house... I can get some dark curtains and when ya'll are here visiting Disney you can come visit my "underground" kids clothing exchange. Seriously, how are they ever going to regulate EVERYONE.... They can't stop the drug traffickers and people abusing the welfare system how would they know if I had a yard sale and sold some of DD's clothing!:confused3
** Also, (putting on flame suit) why on earth did a 4 year old eat a charm off a shoe???? God bless him and his family for their loss, but really, where was the parental supervision? ** Sometimes I think the government protects the dumb :rolleyes: :rolleyes1 ....(flame away)

No flames here. The government is dumb. Bad things do happen no matter how much you regulate people. Further more there are lots of things we keep around the house that if swallowed will be fatal, what will be next that the gov't can save us from?

They are straining at gnats and swallowing camels. They are supposed to represent us as a people, but you know what, they represent lobbyists. The world is out of control. It's supposed to be a capitalist society but everyday it's harder and harder to forge a living. In the few niche places that are left the gov't comes to cut off the head of small entrapreneurs. It's becoming more of a serfdom cut into 2 classes: those who own big corporations (and the handful at the top) and those who work for them at a minimum.

:sad2:

That's along the lines of what I was thinking while reading some posts.

Instead of Congress enacting this plan and spending money wisely for the NEW GOODS they're importing into our country for sale as new, they're going to worry about used stuff?

Hey look everyone - why is that horse following that cart?

:lmao: :rotfl2: that last line was funny :rotfl:

There are almost no news stories on this....

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't imagine people are going to want to have all those things thrown into landfills. What a waste.

It sounds like a reaction to try and protect kids (after all those China toy scares) with some unintended consequences.

I find it hard to believe this will come to pass. Boutique people and crafters may well be affected, but not garage stores and the Salvation Army.

*bolded by me*
China is where this needs to begin! US needs to check those imports BEFORE they are distributed to stores. Then they need to cut those companies off for good until they comply and fine them heavily.

Heck, maybe we should boycott the companies that continue to sell toys and clothes that are repeatedly recalled (and they are well known companies too). Afterall, the companies obviously don't care about kids if they themselves can't even get the toys and clothes tested BEFORE they sell them.

To pass this responsibility of testing items on to us is ridiculous. I am against this new law.

No flames here. The government is dumb. Bad things do happen no matter how much you regulate people. Further more there are lots of things we keep around the house that if swallowed will be fatal, what will be next that the gov't can save us from?

They are straining at gnats and swallowing camels. They are supposed to represent us as a people, but you know what, they represent lobbyists. The world is out of control. It's supposed to be a capitalist society but everyday it's harder and harder to forge a living. In the few niche places that are left the gov't comes to cut off the head of small entrapreneurs. It's becoming more of a serfdom cut into 2 classes: those who own big corporations (and the handful at the top) and those who work for them at a minimum.

:sad2:

So true. Sad, but true.

It's just ironic that they problems have for the most part come from China, and yet they're slaughtering the caring people that actually care and want to make safe American-made toys for our kids.

WOW!! Just found this post..and issue. I personally have bought maybe 10 items total at a resale. But after having our second and last this past fall, i was planning on using our huge resale, second hand shops, and yardsales to make some money to buy MORE clothes!
I just called the resale shop that heads the huge resale at the end of march..he said they are still planning on holding it ("who's going to police it?"). and he has plans to buy spring clothes next month. He was just interviewed by our local paper he said (need to find it).

very interesting info...I WILL be writing to my favorite congress men this week. just need to get all my data straight!

--Kelley

I am horrified reading this. I am a old toy collector, and I frequent many flea markets and large well-known rummage sales that rely on donations. This misguided legislation can completely cripple them, since they are in the public eye and probably have to follow the letter of the law. I feel sick reading some of this thread - I can only hope the legislation doesn't really say what so many of us think it's saying. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter