No More Princess Movies For Awhile?

Toad_Passenger

Wild Ride Dreamer
That is very... I can't even begin to express how disappointing that news is. If Disney is just trying to be like everyone else, the magic will go. And I thought Michael Eisner was bad... at least he wasn't getting rid of all of the fairy tales! Disney without fairy tales is like... well, Disney without fairy tales. It's ridiculous. We have Pixar for doing all of the 'boy' things.

I had hoped this new 'Tangled' movie - plus the additions in fantasy land (haha) - would mean a new age of princess movies. This breaks my heart. Very much.

The reason why little girls all feel this need to be 'hot' and 'mature' is because that is what is pushed at them by the media. I am not a fan of these new 'Disney channel' tween shows. If that is what Disney is becoming... the future looks sad indeed. I call for another intervention! Get John Lasseter and his cronies out of there ASAP!!

Disney was not made for only little boys. It was made for little girls too! And that's, well... sexual discrimination! I know many, many little girls that are over 5 that want to be princesses. What kind of statement is that? Not to mention, if they make everything 'tween' - what parent is going to want to go with their kids for that? They might be drawing in that audience, but they will be losing many people that have been loyal to the original ideals of Disney.

Look at what Disney has done--from Snow White forward. How much better can a princess movie get? And if you're not going to do it better, why bother?

When you have terrific modern day material such as Toy Story, Nemo, etc. why mourn the loss of princesses? Their legacy is solid.:earsboy:

The article is false.

Keep in mind that while Disney has made a great killing in Fairy Tales for as long as anyone can remember. That's NOT all they should be giving us. They just want to explore other venues of storytelling.

Eventually they will come back to it. What should be done is to put a monetorium on the genre for a little while so that their creativity can have more bite to it.

Do not worry! Disney will just keep bringing the old ones "out of the Disney vault"

Disney needs to stop chasing trends and just be Disney. There are plenty of non princess movies that are classics. I had no problem getting my grandson interested in Disney animation. He loved “Fox and the Hound”, and what about “Junglebook” and “Tarzan”? How about the “Lion King” series? Dreamworks Madagascar will be a classic but Disney’s attempt to come up with their own counterpart in “The Wild” didn’t quite make it. Disney needs to take a look back and see what made them Disney and what made them the trend setters and not the trend chasers.

The competition is fierce. That goes without saying.

One thing I know for certain is that the company just can't rely on what worked previously. It's too much of a crutch.

They're smart enough to think of something innovative. I have no doubt about that.

I think Disney will still make princess movies, but will maybe have them geared more towards a wider audience like with Tangled. Plus, like someone else said they will still be coming out of the vault and all the new generations can love them like we all do.

With as much success as the Princessess have given Disney, I highly doubt they will eliminate them all together.

They may not stop the princess theme, but what princess tales are left to be told? I know Disney could probably come up with their own princess stories, and I think Pixar is doing that with one of their next movies, but I think the fairy tale princesses have already been animated.

That fairy tale is really amazing. I really like that series. It's really amazing..!! :banana::banana:

Instead of having Pixar make more CGI films while Disney tries to come up with innovative new fairy tales, why not go back to making movies about Mickey and his friends? After all, he is why Disney got so big.

Instead of having Pixar make more CGI films while Disney tries to come up with innovative new fairy tales, why not go back to making movies about Mickey and his friends? After all, he is why Disney got so big.

Nice thought. I read and heard that he's not their priority at the moment. But with the success of Epic Mickey. Things can change.

Disney has always managed to amaze and excites at the same time in the past. If they’re saying “no more princesses”, I’m sure they have new plan in place. Let’s all wait and watch.

Disney has also made lots of animated films over the year that weren't about princesses. Their second, third and fourth animated films were not fairy tales, after all. I think it is silly to think they've got to make them because it is tradition. I'd rather see them wait until they have a great idea for a fairy tale movie, rather then doing so out of some sense of tradition or obligation ...

Scott

They may not stop the princess theme, but what princess tales are left to be told? I know Disney could probably come up with their own princess stories, and I think Pixar is doing that with one of their next movies, but I think the fairy tale princesses have already been animated.

That's what I said. They could make up princess stories,but I think they're done every princess story in the books,unless there's more,but I can't think of any they haven't done.

I grew up in the golden age of princess movies. I still enjoyed watching Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc with my older sister. I find this absurd.

why not go back to making movies about Mickey and his friends? After all, he is why Disney got so big.
Nothing wrong with the idea, but Disney didn't get where they are by making features about the "Fab Five." Only a small number of their theatrical features have any of those characters in them, and they don't "carry" any of those in which they did appear.

Really, folks, too much is being made of this. The fact that they don't currently have any "princess-type" fairy tale movies in development doesn't mean they plan not to ever make any again. When the right idea comes along, they'll make it.

Disney's first animated feature was, of course, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937. They made 10 more animated features before they released another similar film -- Cinderella, in 1950 -- 13 years later.

Of the 50 animated features the company has released over the course of 74 years, only nine are fairy-tale princess stories -- and that's counting Pocahontas and Aladdin (the latter of which features a princess in a supporting role).

Scott

Nothing wrong with the idea, but Disney didn't get where they are by making features about the "Fab Five." Only a small number of their theatrical features have any of those characters in them, and they don't "carry" any of those in which they did appear.

Really, folks, too much is being made of this. The fact that they don't currently have any "princess-type" fairy tale movies in development doesn't mean they plan not to ever make any again. When the right idea comes along, they'll make it.

Disney's first animated feature was, of course, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in 1937. They made 10 more animated features before they released another similar film -- Cinderella, in 1950 -- 13 years later.

Of the 50 animated features the company has released over the course of 74 years, only nine are fairy-tale princess stories -- and that's counting Pocahontas and Aladdin (the latter of which features a princess in a supporting role).

Scott

To be honest, I don't think that Disney would have made Snow White if it weren't for the success with Mickey. I believe Walt Disney himself said that it all started with the Mouse. Mickey has appeared in several cartoons:

920sPlane Crazy (1928) - First Mickey cartoon produced.
Steamboat Willie (1928)
The Gallopin' Gaucho (1928)
The Barn Dance (1928)
The Opry House (1929) - First cartoon where Mickey wears gloves.
When the Cat's Away (1929)
The Plow Boy (1929) - First appearance of Horace Horsecollar.
The Barnyard Battle (1929)
The Karnival Kid (1929) - First words spoken by Mickey ("Hot dogs!").
Mickey's Follies (1929)
Mickey's Choo-Choo (1929)
The Jazz Fool (1929)
Jungle Rhythm (1929)
Haunted House (1929)
[edit] 1930sFiddling Around (1930)
The Barnyard Concert (1930)
The Cactus Kid (1930)
Wild Waves (1930)
The Fire Fighters (1930)
The Shindig (1930)
The Chain Gang (1930) - First appearance of Pluto.
The Gorilla Mystery (1930)
The Picnic (1930)
Pioneer Days (1930)
Minnie's Yoo Hoo (1930)
The Birthday Party (1931)
Traffic Troubles (1931)
The Castaway (1931)
The Moose Hunt (1931)
The Delivery Boy (1931)
Mickey Steps Out (1931)
Blue Rhythm (1931)
Fishin' Around (1931)
The Barnyard Broadcast (1931)
The Beach Party (1931)
Mickey Cuts Up (1931)
Mickey's Orphans (1931)
The Duck Hunt (1932)
The Grocery Boy (1932)
The Mad Dog (1932)
Barnyard Olympics (1932)
Mickey's Revue (1932) - First appearance of Goofy.
Musical Farmer (1932)
Mickey in Arabia (1932)
Mickey's Nightmare (1932)
Trader Mickey (1932)
The Whoopee Party (1932)
Touchdown Mickey (1932)
The Wayward Canary (1932)
The Klondike Kid (1932)
Parade of the Award Nominees (1932) - Even though it isn't an official Mickey cartoon, it is Mickey's first color appearance.
Mickey's Good Deed (1932)
Building a Building (1933)
The Mad Doctor (1933)
Mickey's Pal Pluto (1933)
Mickey's Mellerdrammer (1933)
Ye Olden Days (1933)
The Mail Pilot (1933)
Mickey's Mechanical Man (1933)
Mickey's Gala Premier (1933)
Puppy Love (1933)
The Pet Store (1933)
The Steeple Chase (1933)
Giantland (1933)
Shanghaied (1934)
Camping Out (1934)
Playful Pluto (1934)
Gulliver Mickey (1934)
Hollywood Party (1934, cameo)
Mickey's Steamroller (1934)
Orphan's Benefit (1934) - First time Donald Duck in "The Wise Little Hen" appears in a Mickey cartoon.
Mickey Plays Papa (1934)
The Dognapper (1934)
Two-Gun Mickey (1934)
Mickey's Man Friday (1935)
The Band Concert (1935) - First Mickey cartoon in color.
Mickey's Service Station (1935) - First Mickey/Donald/Goofy trio cartoon.
Mickey's Kangaroo (1935) - Last Mickey cartoon in black and white.
Mickey's Garden (1935)
Mickey's Fire Brigade (1935)
Pluto's Judgement Day (1935)
On Ice (1935)
Mickey's Polo Team (1936)
Orphans' Picnic (1936)
Mickey's Grand Opera (1936)
Thru the Mirror (1936)
Mickey's Rival (1936)
Moving Day (1936)
Alpine Climbers (1936)
Mickey's Circus (1936)
Mickey's Elephant (1936)
The Worm Turns (1937)
Magician Mickey (1937)
Moose Hunters (1937)
Mickey's Amateurs (1937)
Hawaiian Holiday (1937)
Clock Cleaners (1937)
Lonesome Ghosts (1937)
Boat Builders (1938)
Mickey's Trailer (1938)
The Whalers (1938)
Mickey's Parrot (1938)
Brave Little Tailor (1938)
The Fox Hunt (1938, cameo)
Society Dog Show (1939) - Last appearance of Mickey with his black-button eyes.
The Pointer (1939) - First appearance of Mickey in his current design.
Mickey's Surprise Party (1939) - A commercial short made for the National Biscuit Company and shown at the 1939 New York World's Fair.
The Standard Parade (1939) - A commercial short made for the Standard Oil Company.
[edit] 1940sThe Sorcerer's Apprentice (1940, segment of Fantasia)
Tugboat Mickey (1940)
Pluto's Dream House (1940)
Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip (1940)
The Little Whirlwind (1941)
The Nifty Nineties (1941)
Orphan's Benefit (1941) - Same as the 1934 version, but with updated character models and in color.
A Gentleman's Gentleman (1941) - In a Pluto cartoon.
Canine Caddy (1941)
Lend a Paw (1941)
Mickey's Birthday Party (1942)
Symphony Hour (1942) - Last Mickey cartoon until 1947.
All Together (1942) - Made for the National Film Board of Canada in an effort to promote the sale of Canadian War Bonds.
Out of the Frying Pan Into the Firing Line (1942, cameo) A picture of Mickey as a soldier is hung up on a wall in Minnie's house.
Pluto and the Armadillo (1943) - In a Pluto cartoon; last appearance of Mickey in his traditional red shorts until 1995.
The Three Caballeros (1945, cameo) - Mickey went to the beach on the pail at North Pole.
Squatter's Rights (1946) - In a Pluto cartoon.
Mickey and the Beanstalk (1947, segment of Fun and Fancy Free)
Mickey's Delayed Date (1947) - First Mickey cartoon since 1942.
Mickey Down Under (1948)
Pluto's Purchase (1948) - In a Pluto cartoon.
Mickey and the Seal (1948)
Pueblo Pluto (1949) - In a Pluto cartoon.
[edit] 1950sCrazy Over Daisy (1950, cameo)
Plutopia (1951) - In a Pluto cartoon.
R'Coon Dawg (1951)
Pluto's Party (1952) - In a Pluto cartoon; Eyebrows are added on Mickey.
How to Be a Detective (1952, cameo) - Mickey's face is on the cover of the comic book Goofy is reading.
Pluto's Christmas Tree (1952)
The Simple Things (1953) - Last regular Mickey cartoon.
[edit] 1960sJiminy Cricket (1962)
The Mickey Mouse Anniversary Show (1968)
[edit] 1970sThe Rescuers (1977, cameo)
The Mickey Mouse Jubilee Show (1978)
The Mickey Mouse Club (1979)
[edit] 1980sMickey's Christmas Carol (1983) - First screen appearance of Mickey since 1953; Mickey's eyebrows are removed.
Star Tours (1987, cameo)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988, cameo)
Mickey's 60th Birthday (1988) - A version of Walt Disney's Jiminy Cricket
Here's to You, Mickey Mouse (1988) - A Mickey Mouse special
[edit] 1990sThe Prince and the Pauper (1990)
Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D (1991,cameo)
Bonkers (1993) - Mickey is featured as an unseen character in the episode "You Oughta Be in Toons"
A Goofy Movie (1995, cameo)
Runaway Brain (1995)
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999)
[edit] 2000sFantasia 2000 (2000) - Reuse of earlier Fantasia appearance
Mickey Mouse Works (1999–2000) - A compilation show with new made-for-TV animated shorts featuring Mickey and friends.
Disney's House of Mouse (2001–2004) A show showing short animated cartoons of Disney's favorite characters
Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse (2001) - House of Mouse video release.
Mickey's House of Villains (2002) - House of Mouse video release.
Mickey's PhilharMagic (2003) - Walt Disney World attraction.
The Lion King 1½ (2004, cameo)
Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004)
Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (2004) - First Mickey film done in CG animation.
Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (2006–Present) - A television series made for preschoolers done in CG animation.

And Mickey still shows up in a lot of recent things.

To be honest, I don't think that Disney would have made Snow White if it weren't for the success with Mickey. I believe Walt Disney himself said that it all started with the Mouse. Mickey has appeared in several cartoons:
I wasn't trying to shortchange Mickey and the gang. I was talking about theatrical feature films, not shorts, TV shows and direct-to-video stuff. Walt also said that Mickey became a victim of his own success. He was a mischievous character in the early days, but after he became popular, parents began to complain that Mickey should be nicer. Consequently, Mickey became a bland shadow of his former self, relying mostly on co-stars such as Donald to provide spark and humor. The company has fought against that in the last 10 years or so -- with some success -- but the fact remains that while the success of Mickey in short films certainly paved the way for Walt to make animated features, Mickey has never been a big star in that particular medium. The company can't "go back" to something they never did in the first place.

Scott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter