No more peanut butter at Ghirardelli's?

This was left in a comment on the DFB:

Update: Just spoke to a corporate rep for Ghirardelli (because I take peanut butter and chocolate THAT seriously) and she read me the company’s official statement. Ghirardelli has discontinued the use of peanut products at the *factory* level—meaning no more peanut butter in the packaged products. However, for the soda fountains, the Gold Rush sundae was removed as part of a semiannual menu refresh to make way for new items, not because it has peanuts in it. Although the Gold Rush is off the menu for now, the official verbiage is (and I quote), “It is possible that we will revisit it in the future.”

Yeah a friend of mine was just there after not visiting for a few years and was looking forward to it. They for sure didn't have it

Well a lot of people will be hoping its not gone for good. I guess the real test will be if they still have any peanut related in the store at all.

I know that sucks for everyone else, but my family will be ecstatic if this is true... DS could actually eat there!

While I'll miss the gold rush theres always a No Way Jose at Beaches and Cream and now the people with nut allergies have somewhere to go :0)

Peanut allergies are more common than once thought. It's becoming more and more popular that places are going peanut free.

. However, for the soda fountains, the Gold Rush sundae was removed as part of a semiannual menu refresh to make way for new items, not because it has peanuts in it.

That phrase "to make way for new items" always bothers me because most of the time, there's nothing new. For example, so much of the live entertainment at WDW has been eliminated, supposedly to make way for new acts, but we never get any. Oh, yeah, sorry-we did get the wood carvers!

given the number and severity of allergies this can only be good news. I'm surprised anyone still serves peanut products commercially it is just way too risky

I tried to order the gold rush back in March and was told it had been removed from the menu three days prior to my request.

I love peanuts and peanut butter but I guess I'll just have to enjoy them now at home and not in public.

This makes me happy! I used to have no patience for peanut allergy sufferers but now my sons best friend gets an anaphylaxic reaction if his food even touches a peanut, or is he touches someone's hand who ate it. It is so hard for them to go out anywhere!!

Peanut allergies are more common than once thought. It's becoming more and more popular that places are going peanut free.

An interesting longitudinal study in Lancet discovered that children with early exposure to peanuts were 4x less likely to develop an allergy versus those who were never exposed to peanuts. We may be making the problem worse...

An interesting longitudinal study in Lancet discovered that children with early exposure to peanuts were 4x less likely to develop an allergy versus those who were never exposed to peanuts. We may be making the problem worse...
When my son was born in 2009, the typical advice was to delay giving foods that might cause an allergic reaction (peanuts being one of them). When my daughter was born just 3 years later the advice of our pediatrician had changed. He told us that recent studies had shown that countries where allergenic foods were not delayed had less cases of food allergies. (Shellfish being consumed from a very early age in Asian countries, for example, resulted in fewer people with allergies to shellfish compared to countries that delayed eating shellfish). Hopefully this change in what is recommended to parents will result in fewer food allergies for kids in the future.

DS's first food reaction was at 6 months old, when he ate his very first solid food. After that he had food reactions just about every other time we introduced a new food. He landed in the hospital right at his first birthday. "Delaying" had nothing to do with his food allergies. I never know what to think when I hear about or read these studies. They just don't apply to everyone I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter