No More Disney Magazine ? ? ?

disneyaggie

DIS Veteran
I just read on www.laughingplace.com that effective immediately, the Disney Magazine ceased publication. Those of us who have subscriptions can get the rest of their money back or roll it to another magazine.

I just love this magazine! I loved the pictures and the trip ideas. This is not good news! :sad2:

oh no!! :sad2: that is terrible news!! i wonder what happened--does anyone know?? will they contact us about a refund or rollover or is it up to us to contact them!! :sad2:

I just received a renewal notice in the mail on Friday. I'm glad that I did not send it in yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh no! I LOVE Disney magazine! I was just thinking this morning that the new issue should be out soon and hoping it would be all about the 50th Celebration!

This is really sad news. :sad1:

What a bummer. I know it was a big advertisement, but I stilled loved it.

I started getting this magazine over a year ago, and I never knew why, since I never ordered it or paid anything for it.
I haven't seen it for at least a few months (I still get the vacation club magazine).
I wonder if I got the disney magazine as a side effect of having the Disney visa (a card which otherwise had zero value and which I will soon cancel).

I did like the Disney magazine.

[note added later: I figured out why I got the magazine, I had an annual pass to DisneyLand about a year ago. I guess that mystery is solved.]

- Eileen

This is what the article read (found on www.laughingplace.com) . . .

Stop the presses! "Disney" Magazine is no more!
After more than a 40 year run, "Disney" Magazine suddenly ceased publication last week. Jim Hill talks with a veteran staffer about what happened. More importantly, what happens next.
by Jim Hill

There's a song by the Buggles that says: "Video killed the radio star."

Well, it would appear that the Internet -- particularly sites like this one -- may have unintentionally played a part in the demise of "Disney" Magazine last week.

Though the publication's high printing costs and continually sinking subscription rates were cited as the main causes for DM's death, staffers there reportedly consider the Web to be the real reason that "Disney" Magazine suddenly ceased publication.

Said one unnamed DM vet that I spoke with earlier this afternoon:

"We were a quarterly with a very long lead time. We used to be where Disneyana fans would turn if they wanted detailed information about what was happening within the company. But then the Internet came along and really began cutting in on our turf.

And then the company shut down the Magic Kingdom Club and the Disney Club. Which robbed us of a lot of internal financial support, not to mention significantly cutting in to our subscriber base.

"Disney" Magazine were never what you'd call financially successful. By that I mean: We never had decent newstand sales. And for years now, our circulation rates have been artificially bolstered by all of those complimentary subscriptions that the company gave away to Disneyland & Disney World annual passholders.

But as long as the magazine was thought to be an effective marketing tool, management kept us alive. But now that the Net allows Disney to get the word out that much quicker to many more people at a far lower price point ... It's easy to see why they finally decided to shut us down.

So -- no -- to answer your question: What happened last week wasn't really a surprise. It's still very sad. But not really a surprise."

West Coast "Disney" Magazine staffers were told about this unfortunate decision early last week. These folks were then told to keep quiet for a couple of days. So that representatives from Disney Company management could then fly East and break the bad news out there in person.

Over 80 people (who work for the publication in various ways) will be effected by this decision. While I was talking with my source this afternoon, editors in their office are still in the process of trying to reach various freelancers that "Disney" Magazine uses (Many of whom were already at work on stories for the Fall & Winter issues) to let them know that DM is no more.

As to what happens next ... I'm told that a mass mailing is currently being prepared. Which will then be sent out to all "Disney" Magazine subscribers, explaining that DM has ceased publication. These folks will then be offered two choices. Disney will A) agree to refund any monies still owed for the issues that are left on that reader's subscription OR B) offer to transfer their "Disney" Magazine subscription over to "Family Fun" magazine for the remainder of their subscription.

As for those folks who were actually on the "Disney" Magazine payroll ... They're supposedly spending the next two weeks packing up their offices as well as brushing up their resumes. I'm told that some staffers were told by Disney Company management that that the corporation would try to find them positions at Disney's other publications. But no real promises of future employment were actually made.

Given that there are numerous staffers at this publication who have worked at "Disney" Magazine (Or as this magazine was known under its earlier name, the "Disney News") for 10 - 15 years now ... Obviously this news came as a shock. And people -- for the moment, anyway -- don't know quite what to do with themselves.

Which perhaps explains this very odd event earlier today. Given that some of the "Disney" Magazine staffers are now supposedly talking about setting up their very own website where they can post Disney-related stories, suddenly I went from being the interviewer to the interviewee. As in: People were suddenly quizzing me about what it took to run a website, how often you should update, etc.

Given the obvious expertise on the staff of "Disney" Magazine ... If I had the dough and/or if JHM were actually a money-making operation, I'd hire every damn one of them. It just break my heart to think that Disney's letting all this talented people walk right out the door.

I and the rest of the JimHillMedia.com staff wish to extend our sympathies to the staff of "Disney" Magazine. As well as mourn the passing of a publication that I personally have been reading for 34 years now.

Here's hoping that everyone who was employed by DM soon lands on their feet and finds another steady gig. You were a class act, people. It's just too bad that Mouse House management didn't really understand or appreciate what they had.

Yup -- they're discussing this on the Rumors/News board. :( I just sent in a 3-year renewal check yesterday.

Thats to bad. I was just going to get my dad a subscription for him for fathers day. I enjoyed that magizine alot too. :( Darn you internet~!

Please tell me that isn't true!!! I just sent in a payment about 3 weeks ago to start receiving the magazine. And I was soooo thrilled that I joined it.

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

First family trip to WDW---Feb '06

CAJUNWDWFAN said:
Does laughing place have a magazine?
I believe it does. I got that impression from its website. I believe they are already to send issue 2. I have no idea who is behind it or how much it costs. My suggestion is to go to www.laughingplace.com to see. I know I am going to! :flower:

Why on earth would they have sent me my renewal notice and renewal bill if they were going under! I just sent the check in yesterday!!

This is terrible. I really enjoyed this magazine too. I'm heading over to laughing place now too.. :earsboy:

Just called and even though the publisher has talked about possibly shutting down production, the offical announcement has not been made to the staff at the Disney Magazine as of yet. "We will all get letters, offering a switch to another Disney family magazine or the chance for a refund".

Penny

Like I said on another thread this blows chunks. I am really upset by this :(

Another good thing bites the dust.

What sad news! We have subscribed to this magazine for years. It always made my day when it arrived at my house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter