No more beach Weddings at GF:(

Belle2Be

Peace, Love and Disney
At least at the Grand Floridian. Sorry if this was already posted, I just found out on Friday at my consultation, totally disappointing!

Thats the first I have heard about it. Kinda funny since my DD wanted a beach wedding and changed to WP after her planner (at her PS) told her she would be paying for both locations. Disney requires you to reserve the WP in case of weather issues. Hate to admit I was happy because of the Florida heat and I do love the WP.

She said that they are not scheduling any more, but those who have already get to do it, of course. She didn't have a reason, other than the Grand Floridian decided they don't want to offer it anymore. She said the other beach option wasn't the best either, since the hotel pool is nearby and you can hear the screaming kids. I wonder when they are going to take it off their website?

She said that they are not scheduling any more, but those who have already get to do it, of course. She didn't have a reason, other than the Grand Floridian decided they don't want to offer it anymore. She said the other beach option wasn't the best either, since the hotel pool is nearby and you can hear the screaming kids. I wonder when they are going to take it off their website?

I want to get married at the Yacht and Beach Club Resort on the Beach because I attended a wedding there once and it was lovely. It wasn't loud at all since it was a 9am or 10am ceremony and the pool was quiet that morning.

I really hope they don't get rid of that location. =( We really want to do it there because that's where our relationship basically started. And yes, they have a gazebo in the Yacht side but that's not where it started. So if they don't have that location, I guess we'll have to do it at one of the rooms at the convention center. =( Thanks for the info though! Didn't know about it.

Its officially off the website :sad1:
They also took it off the virtual venue tour. I also noticed that they took off the GF Marina as an option too (dp's included).
This really sucks

Well, Sago Cay Pointe is still there, as is the Summer House, so I don't think anybody needs to panic yet. Also, considering the track record of typos and misinformation on their web site, and the fact that the latest Special Venue Guidelines have all these locations listed (except GF Beach, which was never on the list to begin with), it may not mean much.

Well, Sago Cay Pointe is still there, as is the Summer House, so I don't think anybody needs to panic yet. Also, considering the track record of typos and misinformation on their web site, and the fact that the latest Special Venue Guidelines have all these locations listed (except GF Beach, which was never on the list to begin with), it may not mean much.

Kristie Davis was the one who told me they are no longer doing the WP beach, and she seemed fairly against the other beach :/ Not sure what Sago Cay or the Summer house is though, she didn't bring them up as options for an outdoor or beach wedding?

Is it safe to assume the Poly beach locations are safe?:confused:

Is it safe to assume the Poly beach locations are safe?:confused:

I think so, she only said the Grand Floridian doesn't want them on the beach anymore, or something like that. I didn't know you could have a wishes wedding at the Poly beach?

Frustrating. So what are my options for a Disney wedding on the beach for 20 people. Poly won't due as we have 10 with just us and our children (and children in law). Maybe the Swan & Dolphin, but it just isn't Disney.

I think so, she only said the Grand Floridian doesn't want them on the beach anymore, or something like that. I didn't know you could have a wishes wedding at the Poly beach?

Duh on my part, lol...No, you can't have a Wishes wedding @ the Poly..Just an Escape or a Memories.

OK, I met with DFTW today and confirmed that the Grand Floridian Beach is not an option anymore. However, they are trying to see if they can make Luau Beach (the beach on the *other* side of the Wedding Pavilion) work for larger weddings than just Memories Collection. The Marina is still an option. There are no plans to remove Shipwreck Beach as an option either. It's just GF Beach.

Here are pix I took today of Luau Beach. I still need to get some looking the other direction, and at the view:

DSC09895.jpg

DSC09894.jpg

DSC09896.jpg

DSC09899.jpg

You have no idea how happy you've made me hearing that shipwreck beach is still an option. And those photos are lovely. =( You're making me miss Disney.

Carrie, thanks for the update *and* the photos! Luau Beach looks like it might be a nice option .. lots less walking in the sand than on the other side! :thumbsup2

I wonder why they made that decision? We had our wedding on the GF Beach in April and I loved the location! I would not have been happy with Shipwreck beach (too public for me) and I don't like the pics Carrie posed of Luau Beach nearly as much as the GF beach, although I can't tell by her pics what the backdrop would be. The backdrop for our wedding on the GF beach was Space Mountain and the Contemporary from one angle, GF from the other angle. You can not see people at the GF or the beach by the GF pool in our pics and I loved that we had the background noise of MK off in the distance (you can't hear it on our video but you could in person) and the only onlookers we had were either riding on a boat or the monorail to MK.
The way our wedding was set up I probably walked an equal distance in the sand as I did on the grass/pavement. My wedding party entered from the side where the wedding pavilion is but I exited the Rolls and entered from the side where the sidewalk to the GF is. My guests all commented that it was really cool because the hill blocks the beach from the GF/WP area so I was walking on the other side of the hill the whole time the entrance music started playing and all they could see was the very top of my father's head moving closer to the aisle (he's over 6 ft) and then all of a sudden I rose over the hill with him and walked straight down the aisle. When I watch it on video I really like it because it has the same dramatic entrance effect to me as swinging open the wedding pavilion doors.
Yes, I paid the wedding pavilion venue price but I didn't mind. I really liked knowing that was my backup location vs a ballroom. We almost had to use it and while I wasn't happy because I really wanted a beach wedding, I also was not completely stressed out as I got ready and watched the weather because I know the WP is beautiful. If I couldn't have the beach wedding I really wanted due to circumstances beyond my control, I was fine with using the WP.

Just seeing these pics of Luau Beach..Thanks for posting them, Carrie! It's a perfect spot for us:goodvibes

Carrie, I really hope it's true about the Marina. We were just talking today about changing that to our reception location so we could skip a DP. Keeping my fingers crossed they keep it long enough for us to schedule it, if we end up wanting it.

Carrie, I really hope it's true about the Marina. We were just talking today about changing that to our reception location so we could skip a DP. Keeping my fingers crossed they keep it long enough for us to schedule it, if we end up wanting it.

It is true. I specifically asked DFTW whether the Marina was still available and they said yes. This is all about GF Beach, not a sweeping elimination of venues in general.

I was at GF Beach today, and, frankly, it's difficult to climb the knoll to get there, plus you really can hear tons of noise from the GF pool, so I can see why it might not be the ideal wedding location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter