No MK Area Water Launches?

J. Thornhill

Watermouse Captain
I read on Screamscape that water launches to the MK from the Mk area resorts is going to be discontinued due to budget cuts. Does anyone have any further info on this? If so, I'll be very upset! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I didnt think there were water launches from any of the MK resorts except for Wilderness lodge. There is also a launch to the TTC.

The Contemporary, the Polynesian and the GF all have boat service to and from the MK.

J.-

The Screamscape rumor also reports that the Friendships in the World Showcase at Epcot will also be discontinued.

Ft Wilderness has a boat to MK also.
No big deal for me though. The stupid things were never accessible anyway. If the able-bodied have to put up with the nonsense I have to go through all the time maybe they'll scream loud enough to get some changes.

Does this mean that the ferry won't be running between the TTC and Magic Kingdom? If so, that makes me mad... I loved riding the ferry much more than the monorail. And it was such a great picture-taking opportunity. *sigh*

*Serenity*

No, the one from the TTC to MK isn't going to close. It's the boats from the resorts to the MK that are suppose to be closing.

Now most of you know I'm an avid Disney defender (Landbaron always reminds me of the 'rose colored glasses' I wear), but I'm here to say that if this rumor comes to pass I will be one disheartend puppy. I loved the launches from the Poly and what about WL? The launch is the only special transportation they have. It'll certainly be tough to sell the WL as deluxe with just bus transit...I know, I know that bus transit is all AKL currently has but at least AKL is dedicated service, WL shares with the Poly, TTC, FW, etc...

There had better be more than cost cutting behind this decision because I feel the "deluxe" tag of these resorts will be severly damaged should this rumor come true...:(
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

I doubt that they'll cut the boat from WL. They are probably getting rid of the other launches because all of those resorts are connected by monorail.

There is nothing better than a leisurely boat ride back to your resort after a day at the MK! I look forward to that! And, of course, that is the only transportation to the MK from WL. What would they do-use buses there, too? Yech!

If this rumour proves true, I will make DVC-Landbaron look like Micheal Eisner's bestest buddy in the whole world.

They may have finally hit the wall with me.

Of course Screamscape isn't all that accurate, so I'll be praying they're wrong.

I am absolutely amazed with some of my closer friends on this board (you know who you are). Why are you surprised by this move? After all, why should Disney shell out the expense of keeping around expensive boats and/or launches when a bus will serve the purpose? Surely you can see that this WILL increase the bottom line. By cutting this needless frivolity we can expect to realize additional savings thus allowing us to bail out some sinking enterprise that Ei$ner has gotten us into. I don’t know, makes sense to me. Smart business move. Isn’t that what you guys always say? Ei$ner acting fiscally responsible. Nothing more, nothing less. Like they said in the Godfather, “It’s business, Sonny, and you’re taking it personal.”

OH!! I get it!! They finally cut something that is near and dear to your own heart!! Sooooo!! Now you can feel the pain!!! But come on guys!! A bus will do the job! What’s that you say? Nothing magical about a bus? So what?! It gets you there. Innovative and creative transportation!! HA!!! Don’t make me laugh!! We’ve got to be competitive you know.

But seriously. For me it was shorter hours (unannounced), bus schedules and Mickey-head butter. For you it’s a launch. Everyone has got a breaking point. Give Ei$ner enough time and he’ll drive everyone away. Welcome to the fold!!! We’ll schedule your Ei$ner-bashing baptism as soon as possible. ;)

If they close the Friendships in the Epcot area, how do we get to MGM or Epcot? They can't expect everyone to walk and running busses would seem more costly than the current system...
BTW, if they are getting rid of the Friendships they must be having one last hurrah because there are three of them making the route right now instead of the usual two.
I am a little upset by the early closing of most of the counter service places at MGM. All but two close at 4 or 5. We had a hard time finding a burger at dinner time the other day.
I have a good picture of the BAH construction that I'll post later. I'll be here till next Wednesday. Anybody want me to find any specific info?

...I think by "Friendships" they were referring to only the two ferries from the front of World Showcase lagoon to the docks near France and Italy.

I'm not even enough of an Eisner-basher to suggest he'll cut the boat service from the Boardwalk area to MGM (although it wouldn't surprise me as much if they cut the Boardwalk area to Epcot boats. Much shorter walk).

The MK boat cuts were presumed more palatable because of the monorail. By that reasoning, the WL launch should stay, as it's the only alternative transport available. We'll see if it does, I guess.

Jeff

That's not much of a hurrah, they used to run 4 Friendships at 1 time in the good ole days.

DVC
I totally agree with you.

I'm also right there with ya, DVC-Landbaron!

And I am extremely disappointed with the prospect of the monorails being the only method of transportation for the MK Resorts. As much as I enjoy riding them, imagine how crowded they will become if the launches are no longer in service. And I will certainly miss the relaxing boat trips from the MK to the Poly, in the evenings.

IASW RIDER, I won't be missing those rides too much, because I won't be staying at those resorts any longer. Cost cutting is one thing, but to so dramitically change the make up of a resort & mess with the guest experience is quite another.

Remember however, this is just a rumor from screamscape and their % isn't all that high...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

I definitely understand your point. I have been staying at the MK resorts since I was a child (and since the MK was the only park at WDW!), so I have a sentimental attachment to them. Thus far, I have not noticed many major / "experience altering" changes at those resorts, during repeat visits. However, I will be back at the Poly in 3 days, and if I notice any such changes or hear about any in the future, I would consider "boycotting" them, as well! In the mean time, let's hope that the launch issue (and any related ones) are just rumors, as you said!

The massive changes that have occurred since my parents stopped working at the MK in early April have had me quite upset and I don't have any trips planned. The MK boat rumor is the one that makes me think "What next?". This hurts FW and WL the most since that means it is a two step process to get to the MK. An amazing thing since they are MK resorts. Bad enough that it is almost impossible to reach the MK for EE when you stay at those resorts.

When I asked a MK CM about the rumor it was the first she heard of it. She did pose another possible reason - the water levels are so low the boats are starting to hit bottom.

They've stopped boat service before (or at least considered it) because of the water level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter