No longer will use AirTran

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, there are time when they DON'T know how long it will take. DH has been kept in the dark before about departure times from the tower and he's in charge of the freaking flight. They will tell him to check back in X amount of time to find out of they have a time for him to leave (this is obviously for weather delays).

Should the gate agents keep telling people every 45 minutes that they delay is still going on? I don't know.
As I wrote earlier, this is one of the things NW did back in the day. It might not have been every 45 minutes, but they did make an effort to keep people informed. When they didn't have an idea for how long it would take, that's what they said. When they were told "check back in X", that's what they told the passengers too. It doesn't make the delay any shorter (or the duration any more certain) but it *does* make the whole situation more bearable somehow.

How do you know it was a mechanical issue? I am sorry if I trust the poor food guy over AirTran? I will complain if I feel like it and if you do not like it go to another thread? I am tired of being judged by people who were not there and again I was not the only one complaining the entire waiting area was upset every time the man made another announcement.
sigh... maxiesmom isn't challenging you, she's ASKING you. While you can certainly choose to believe a food vendor THAT an airline's late-evening flights are regularly delayed, we're having difficulty understanding why you'd believe that person as to the REASON the flights are "always" delayed. Frankly, if any airline's evening flights out of one particular airport are always late leaving one airport for mechanical reasons, I would not fly on that airline.

However, there are time when they DON'T know how long it will take. DH has been kept in the dark before about departure times from the tower and he's in charge of the freaking flight. They will tell him to check back in X amount of time to find out of they have a time for him to leave (this is obviously for weather delays).

Should the gate agents keep telling people every 45 minutes that they delay is still going on? I don't know.

Also, the OP wanted to know the delay was going to be 6 hours so he could have made other arrangements. My guess is that the airline didn't know it would take 6 hours to get the plane up and running, he didn't mention if when he got to the airport they told him it was a 6 hour delay, but I'm guessing they didn't since he mentioned wanting them to give regular updates.

You can never provide too much information. If they really don't know, then I think updates every 45 minutes or so is appropriate. Most customers would be forgiving and would actually appreciate the updates if the airline is open an honest with them. Also, don't change the story! If it's a mechanical problem, don't say later on that it's due to weather.

Also, don't blame the employees at the gate for feeding you the BS! They are only telling you what they are being told. They are simply the messenger, the message is most likely coming from much higher up! However, I personally love it when an airline employee refuses to not give customers a line of BS.

For example, on our most recent flight to MCO we hit weather problems in Orlando and could not land. The pilot could have easily said "we are circling MCO and are in-line to land", but he didn't, he instead got on the intercom and said "Well folks, we are being rerouted all over the state and will land whenever air traffic tells us to." Did his being honest with the passengers make the delay any shorter, no, but it helped make everyone more comfortable about the whole situation because the pilot was being honest and provided some light-hearted comic relief. It always seems like pilots are pretty honest compared to other employees. Now is that all a front? I don't know, but it does make me trust the pilot.

Wow so many so called experts when all I wanted was for Air Tran to notify all passengers not just me of a delay of close to six hours. I fly about twice a year with my family of seven and for some stupid reason liked AirTran and their 8:13 depature from Orlando to Indianapolis.
First of all, there ARE a lot of experts on the transportation board. Ones with a LOT more experience than your twice a year flights. I'm sorry that you can't seem to accept that.

I am having a hard time understanding what happened. You say you were not notified of the delay but you also complain upthread that you were told that the delay was weather related and mechanical. Then later you say that everyone else was complaining when the gate agent would make another announcement. What is it? Did they tell you the delay when you got there or did they keep you in the dark? Or, do you expect to know about delays before you arrive?

Weather was not an Issue it was not stopping any flights out of Orlando and a flight from Midway just landed so I really cant see it as being weather related?
Was your plane at the gate? Or did you have to wait for it? Just because Chicago is fine doesn't mean IND is in the clear. Was your flight last night/this morning? If so a number of thunderstorms were through Indianapolis yesterday.

I guess it is Tabo to complain on these boards because we all are supposed to live in a fantasy land where everything is always great and we are just supposed to be happy AirTran did get me to my home?
It's not taboo to complain. But what happened to you can happen on because ANY airline. And YES you should be happy that Airtran got you home. They could have canceled the entire flight because of the problems or the crew may have expired. That means that they would not be allowed to fly the plane because they had already put in the maximum number of hours they are legally allowed to be on the job ... even if they are simply waiting at the gate with you. It could have been worse. You could have had to stay overnight and get up for an early flight instead of eventually getting home.

For example, on our most recent flight to MCO we hit weather problems in Orlando and could not land. The pilot could have easily said "we are circling MCO and are in-line to land", but he didn't, he instead got on the intercom and said "Well folks, we are being rerouted all over the state and will land whenever air traffic tells us to." Did his being honest with the passengers make the delay any shorter, no, but it helped make everyone more comfortable about the whole situation because the pilot was being honest and provided some light-hearted comic relief. It always seems like pilots are pretty honest compared to other employees. Now is that all a front? I don't know, but it does make me trust the pilot.

That pilot sounds like my DH. He is no way wants his passengers to be unhappy because that makes the FA unhappy and in turn they will make my DH unhappy :rotfl: He doesn't need unhappy FA that he has to spend working with for 3-4 days in a row. ;)

He would also rather try to find some comic relief in the whole situation "folks we are taking you on the scenic route to XYZ" and try to get people to relax. He has to, after all, stand out in plain view when everyone is deplaning.

pilotwife 02 said:
He would also rather try to find some comic relief in the whole situation "folks we are taking you on the scenic route to XYZ" and try to get people to relax. He has to, after all, stand out in plain view when everyone is deplaning.
Yeah, I always try to thank the pilot on my way off the plane... especially when we get to leave through the regular door ;)

You can never provide too much information. If they really don't know, then I think updates every 45 minutes or so is appropriate. Most customers would be forgiving and would actually appreciate the updates if the airline is open an honest with them. Also, don't change the story! If it's a mechanical problem, don't say later on that it's due to weather.

Also, don't blame the employees at the gate for feeding you the BS! They are only telling you what they are being told. They are simply the messenger, the message is most likely coming from much higher up! However, I personally love it when an airline employee refuses to not give customers a line of BS.

Please remember too that the pilot isn't fielding 100 or more complaints and inquiries from irrate passengers! I can't imagine how tiresome it must get trying to remain calm and patient when you have umpteen passengers telling you why they need to get home NOW and there isn't anything you can do about it.

We once had a flight delayed out of Ithaca, NY. We were going to miss our connection. So I got on the computer and found an alternate connecting flight for us into MCO instead of JAX as we were originally supposed to have. When it was my turn at the counter, I politely explained that we had found an alternative and if that would work for them....The gate agent thanked me repeatedly for not being one of the many passengers yelling that they needed to get to XXX by XXX time and instead found an alternative flight by myself.

This is completely irrelevant....Where was the plane coming in from?

I don't think it's irrelevant. Your comment - "Flights into Atlanta in the evening--yeah definately a weather issue" - sounds as though you thought he was connecting in Atlanta.

We were told plane was coming from Midway in Chicago and was told it left the ground and then told 1 hr later that it had not left yet? It was a direct flight from MCO to Indianapolis. Thanks to the thread that shows me the performance of my flight. I will use that in the future and it will be very helpful. I also was talking to a man from Orlando who also was not contacted by AirTran and if would of been contacted he could of stayed at home,rather than the Airport?I do not feel sorry for the gate agent ,that is their job to provide honest customer service to its paying public. I do understand it can rain and that will cause a delay but again all other planes were up and running but not Air Tran? I guess AirTran had a huge rain cloud follow it from Chicago to Orlando? LOL I just learned not to fly AirTran or trust them and a letter has been sent to them, I am sure mine is not the only one they have received. Thanks again to all for the help I have received from most of you and again to the others I again had a good laugh.Piliots wife what Air Line does your husband fly for,because he sounds like the kind of Airline I am looking for. The Dis boards are great until you have an issue and then the so called experts are ready to pounce. I wish I lived in the same world you live in but mine is real and yes not so magical things do happen. Thank you again.:love::love::love:

David 1980 said:
We were told plane was coming from Midway in Chicago and was told it left the ground and then told 1 hr later that it had not left yet? It was a direct flight from MCO to Indianapolis. Thanks to the thread that shows me the performance of my flight. I will use that in the future and it will be very helpful. I also was talking to a man from Orlando who also was not contacted by AirTran and if would of been contacted he could of stayed at home,rather than the Airport?
So you were told the plane had left Chicago, then you were told it hadn't left Chicago. At what point prior to arriving at the airport would you have expecter AirTran to notify you the flight was going to be late, especially since the Gate Agents in Orlando didn't know until an hour after you arrived at the gate that the plane hadn't departed MDW yet (or had it)?

Not excusing AirTran for not providing their MCO staff with updated information, just asking you for clarification. What would that Orlando-based passenger have done if the information/actuality had been reversed? If he'd been called and told the plane was delayed an hour so he stayed home longer, except, oops, no, it's on time and it departed on time? THAT'S why the airline expects the passengers to be at the gate in time for the scheduled departure.

I do not feel sorry for the gate agent ,that is their job to provide honest customer service to its paying public.
I don't work for an airline, but I can't give you information I'm not first provided by my employer... unless you'd rather I lie to you?

I do understand it can rain and that will cause a delay
But you don't know the severity of weather conditions several miles in the air. Are you 100% positive that every single airline operating flights between MDW and MCO at/around the time your flight would have departed MDW was operating every single flight on schedule that evening? May I ask how you're sure?

I guess AirTran had a huge rain cloud follow it from Chicago to Orlando?
Ha, ha. Not. Even you would realize the pilot would outfly a rain cloud and arrive early. Again, a simple five minute flight delay at nine AM in Seattle can turn into a two hour delay at 9 PM in Orlando.

I just learned not to fly AirTran or trust them and a letter has been sent to them
Again, I hope your letter is easier to read and less accusatory than your posts.

Thanks again to all for the help I have received from most of you and again to the others I again had a good laugh.
You've been an interesting source of amusement as well.

The Dis boards are great until you have an issue and then the so called experts are ready to pounce.
Regrettable that you interpret experienced responses as 'so-called experts' pouncing.

So you were told the plane had left Chicago, then you were told it hadn't left Chicago. At what point prior to arriving at the airport would you have expecter AirTran to notify you the flight was going to be late, especially since the Gate Agents in Orlando didn't know until an hour after you arrived at the gate that the plane hadn't departed MDW yet (or had it)?

Not excusing AirTran for not providing their MCO staff with updated information, just asking you for clarification. What would that Orlando-based passenger have done if the information/actuality had been reversed? If he'd been called and told the plane was delayed an hour so he stayed home longer, except, oops, no, it's on time and it departed on time? THAT'S why the airline expects the passengers to be at the gate in time for the scheduled departure.

I don't work for an airline, but I can't give you information I'm not first provided by my employer... unless you'd rather I lie to you?

But you don't know the severity of weather conditions several miles in the air. Are you 100% positive that every single airline operating flights between MDW and MCO at/around the time your flight would have departed MDW was operating every single flight on schedule that evening? May I ask how you're sure?

Ha, ha. Not. Even you would realize the pilot would outfly a rain cloud and arrive early. Again, a simple five minute flight delay at nine AM in Seattle can turn into a two hour delay at 9 PM in Orlando.

Again, I hope your letter is easier to read and less accusatory than your posts.

You've been an interesting source of amusement as well.

Regrettable that you interpret experienced responses as 'so-called experts' pouncing.

I now see how you got to 25K+ posts - by being snarky and argumentative ("Even you would realize...). Very nice. Since it appears you're familiar with the term, I'd say you definitely qualify as an AESOP. :sad2: Breaking out your spelling and grammar police badge is a nice touch and always comes up from posters such as yourself. :rolleyes1

Wow! It is pretty clear that some are new to the transportation board. :teacher:

There is usually about 10% sympathy shown here and 90% information. Most of which is provided by frequent flyers who have ALOT of knowledge about flying.

There have been tons of threads over the years in which someone proclaims they will NEVER fly one airline or another again, and every single time people try to explain that although they may have had a crappy experience with a particular airline, that it happens to most everybody and most every airline at one time or another and that it just happens. Writing letters, and complaining on and on is generally pointless as these kinds of things happen all the time.

Have you not heard to make lemonade out of your lemons!;)

I now see how you got to 25K+ posts - by being snarky and argumentative ("Even you would realize...). Very nice. Since it appears you're familiar with the term, I'd say you definitely qualify as an AESOP. :sad2: Breaking out your spelling and grammar police badge is a nice touch and always comes up from posters such as yourself. :rolleyes1

Well, if the OP is going to write a letter to Airtran, then I also hope it had better spelling and grammar. Otherwise, it will be put in the ignore pile real quick. Companies are not going to take such letters seriously. I know I would refuse to read such a letter if it were to come to me.

And actually, kaytieeldr is one of our best sources of knowledge. Sorry if she sounds snarky to you, but I agree with her on most of this. What the OP is saying and complaining about doesn't make sense. People have tried nicely to explain to them how such things could happen. The OP is then attacking other posters themselves because they don't like what is being said. So yea, maybe people do get "snarky", but it's only in response to others who have been rude and only out of frustration when people will not listen OR provide information that makes sense.

There is usually about 10% sympathy shown here and 90% information. Most of which is provided by frequent flyers who have ALOT of knowledge about flying.

There have been tons of threads over the years in which someone proclaims they will NEVER fly one airline or another again, and every single time people try to explain that although they may have had a crappy experience with a particular airline, that it happens to most everybody and most every airline at one time or another and that it just happens. Writing letters, and complaining on and on is generally pointless as these kinds of things happen all the time.

:thumbsup2

Travel doesn't leave much room for error. If you mess up when trying to catch a flight, then you have pretty much lost a lot of time and money. This is not a place where posters pat each other on the back and tell them everything will be alright. This is a place where we explain what could have happened, what people should do in the future, and explain how things really work. Don't like it... don't read it. Pretty simple.

It's things like this, where people are attacked for attempting to explain things to others to help them, that has caused many of our older members to disappear. People with a LOT more knowledge then even your normal business traveler. They left because it was a losing battle. People don't want to be told the truth, they don't want to have things explained to them... they just want to complain.

I now see how you got to 25K+ posts - by being snarky and argumentative ("Even you would realize...). Very nice.
Thank you; actually, I got to 25,000 posts primarily by being knowledgeable and helpful.
Since it appears you're familiar with the term, I'd say you definitely qualify as an AESOP. :sad2:
Familiar with it? Familiar with it? I created it!!! Read the whole tag! Apparently you're not as amused as it was intended to make people; it was created as a result of numerous posters over these few years asking versions of "what's an OP?" and "what does PP mean?"!
Breaking out your spelling and grammar police badge is a nice touch and always comes up from posters such as yourself. :rolleyes1
Thank you for your assessment. My 'grammar and spelling badge' which - aside from not existing - you choose to denigrate, was actually an attempt to HELP the original poster get his communication with AirTran (a) read and (b) taken seriously. I made the same suggestion earlier in this thread, in case you think I'm trying to defend myself after the fact.
  • A large, single paragraph is hard to read; most people won't bother.
  • Facts are taken seriously; rants, outbursts, 'a food vendor told me...' etc., not so much.
  • Proper spelling, grammar, and usage, too, make a letter easier to read and make it more likely a response will be received.
I'm not going to apologize for being educated, or for knowing how to write an effective complaint letter - or for trying to advise a frustrated DISer how to do it.

Thank you for your assessment. My 'grammar and spelling badge' which - aside from not existing - you choose to denigrate, was actually an attempt to HELP the original poster get his communication with AirTran (a) read and (b) taken seriously. I made the same suggestion earlier in this thread, in case you think I'm trying to defend myself after the fact.
  • A large, single paragraph is hard to read; most people won't bother.
  • Facts are taken seriously; rants, outbursts, 'a food vendor told me...' etc., not so much.
  • Proper spelling, grammar, and usage, too, make a letter easier to read and make it more likely a response will be received.
I'm not going to apologize for being educated, or for knowing how to write an effective complaint letter.

At least you realize you're being snarky and argumentative. That's enough for me. :hippie:

Thank you for the English lesson, when I grow up I hope I am as wise as you are? I did Thank everyone for their advice and said so on many occasions. I just laugh when some of you side with AirTran as if they did nothing wrong? It must be nice to live in a perfect world where all of your dreams come true and nothing every bad happens to you? I am sorry for asking so much out of AirTran, and I will never have to worry about them again. I am tired of this Thread because most of you have taken it to a place, I never asked for it to go. I have a life and do not have time to have 25,000 posts like some experts on this board? Thanks again to all the travel experts, who have made this a learning tool I will use in the future. I wonder Lily with your spare time could you help me write a letter to AirTran , this way I am sure they will read it?? I am not perfect, but could use the help of someone who claims they are Lily WDW.:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter