• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Kids at WDW?

disney_family_1247

Mouseketeer
I just spent the week after Easter at WDW. I went with my dd (4), ds (2), and nephew (6), and my mother.

While I was in line with the kids in the Living Seas, I was holding ds, and the other two kids were talking and joking nicely while we stood there.

Imagine my shock when the man behind me says to his wife, "It's just stupid to bring small kids to Disney World! They won't even remember it."

The wife answered something in agreement about how people are "ridiculous".

I looked at the kids, wondering what in the world could have set these rude people off. None of them were misbehaving in the least bit! I didn't say anything to the couple, even though there loud tone made it obvious that they wanted me to overhear them.

I wanted to say that it doesn't matter if they don't remember every trip because I bring them back every year! DD can tell me stories about past trips dating back to when she was only 2 years old!

Can you believe the nerve of these people? What would Disney World be without kids (besides quieter)?

LP

How does your title of the thread go with your post? No kids, to me, means no kids - your post is about young children, and the debate if it's 'worth' bringing them to WDW. A better title might have been - 'rude man in line', or 'no young kids at WDW?'

How rude of them!

And, IMO, it's a dumb argument. If that was the case, why do anything with a child under 4? Why bring him to the local zoo? He won't remember. Why bring him to the beach? He won't remember. Why give him a birthday party? He won't remember. Why cuddle and kiss an infant? They won't remember. We do it because it's fun at the time, whether they remember it or not and because we love to make them happy and see the smiles on their faces. When their face lights up and their mouth opens in awe at the sight of the castle in front of them... what other possible reason could you need? :)

Maybe that couple just hates kids.

I would say the couple was very rude. Some people like to instigate arguments,opinions,etc. in general. That's probably what this couple wanted to do, just start an argument or something.

When my family and I went to WDW last yr. for my dd's Make-A-Wish trip, we got some stares and a couple of people were rude when it rained one afternoon and we were looking for shelter by one of the awnings at one of the restaurants at MGM. A couple of different families kept staking out empty chairs and when I asked if I can borrow one, they said "no, it's for someone else". Whoever was supposed to sit in those empty chairs never showed up. So I thought it was strange and rude. I didn't say anything to these people. I figure why bother? I figure these people saw our MAW buttons we were wearing and they must have opinions of MAW families?
Unfortunately, there are going to be rude people you may bump into at WDW or elsewhere. :sad2:

Rosemarie :flower:

There are a lot of people in this world who can't imagine spending money on their children that isn't necessary, or why anyone else does. I don't understand those people. Children are beautiful gifts from God, even when you want to hang them upside by their toenails :teeth: (yes, I'm kidding there--about the toenails). Just ignore them. Their parents probably never did anything extra special for them and they don't understand what the kiddos would be missing out on. Especially since they can't see what they are giving to their kids and get out of it themselves by doing it, having never done it.

I just want to add congratulations for not saying anything back (or to your mother in response). I know that took a lot of willpower.

I have a coworker who expressed the same opinion, not about my kids because they are 7 and 10 and we just got back from WDW, but about her soon to be 3 yr old nephew. She said she was surprised her brother and sil were wasting money taking a 3 yr old when they would get more for their dollar later when he'd remember it. I responded "there was a 2 yr old on the bus to MK who kept saying plain as day 'I'm going to see MICKEY' with wide eyed amazement, it warmed my heart." Our other coworker said "I took my son when he was 3 and while he may not remember it, he sure loves looking at the pictures of us at WDW. The coworker who made the comment is the type who would do just what that couple did in line. It's sad because she's usually really negative and miserable. I actually feel bad for her but I'm sure if she said that in line waiting at WDW people around her would be offended. I think I would have gathered my small kids around me and hugged them right then and there and said "Isn't this the most wonderful time we are having here at WDW!" :grouphug: Besides, I never knew that Dumbo and the Winnie the Pooh rides were designed for grown ups and older kids. :earboy2:

I really think I would put this down as "to each their own". Obviously it may have been inappropiate time/place for such a comment but everybody is entitled to an opinion as regards their own children , and in my opinion they have no right to an opinion about my or someboby elses children.
I have three daughters, age 12,9,6 and an infant son (9 months). The idea of a Disney vacation has come up every year for the past 7-8 years and I have always decided it was not worth the expense with the younger ones so young that they would not remember and the difference in age between oldest daughter and youngest being so much it would be difficult to accomodate all interests so we never went to Disney. The recent arrival of the youngest seemed to permanently derail Disney - but I did want the girls to be able to enjoy the "magic" as children so I am staying home with baby and sending wife and daughters to Disney for their vacation. It is my opinion that it will be enough more enjoyable for the older ones that way (who have been angels about being good big sisters and never minded the extra attention baby always gets) that it is worth it to me to settle for pictures, video , and knowledge they are having a great time rather than going with them and doing the swap thing and extra hotel time, baby change stops , etc.
Bottom line , in my opinion, if it is worth it to you to do it you certainly should, if it is not than do not, and whatever you decide it is your family and nobody else really has an opinion that should matter.

I guess some people don't understand that there are some things in life more important than money.

What frustrates me about comments like that is that the assumption is you are only going to WDW for the kids' sake.

We go to WDW because dh and I love it - the fact that the kids enjoy it too is just gravy. If they hated it, we'd leave 'em with grandma and go ourselves!

Another thing that goes along with this is.....
for instance my kids, ages 10, 6 & 3, last trip were 9, 5 & 2. Should my older kids have to wait until they are teens so that my dd is "old enough"? I dont think so!
And, even though she was just two... i mean just two, had turned 2 one month before we went, she still remembers things! When we put in our dis planning dvd, she says mommy we were there! With cinderella!

So they do remember! And even if they dont remember, are you only going so that they will remember it? Or are you going to have fun as a family?

If I was not such a disney freak, I might think why would you go to disney if you did not have kids? I know we will be going for the rest of our lives! With or without kids! But the argument could be flipped around as well!!!!

I can kind of understand this. Who hasn't seen (and my kids were toddlers with their first trip) tired, unhappy families who spent so much money they now feel like they HAVE to stay in crowded parks with exhaused whiney children. I used to think our kids would do Disney as little ones on a three day "fly down" In-out, a character breakfast, ride Dumbo/Pooh, some photos. As it turned out, my parents came down and it became "easy" to take them for a week.

Perhaps the man wasn't even referring to your family (I remember being six well, and I remember some of being four), but was commenting to his wife about another family they'd recently seen dragging overtired children through the parks. It was still rude, as it could be overheard by you and misinterpreted.

No matter what, it was down right rude, and I think I might have said something back just as loud (and rude) to my DH; you are a stronger person then I am!

Well, I hope you haad a great time anyway. I hope your kids had a blast and who cares whether they will remember it-- you will!

The first time we ventured to WDW with our severely mentally retarded/autistic DS,then 8, we got plenty of dirty looks. But we got plenty of sweet looks too, and air kisses, and extra help when we needed it. We decided that even though Christian did not understand where he was or what was happening, he was having a ball just being with his family.

So we're going back in November. If you see a little 9yo boy flapping, staring off in the distance and singing at the top of his lungs, come on over and say hi to Christian. He won't look at you or remember you, but you can bet his proud parents will.

I can see why people decide not to bring very young children to Disney World (I'm talking infants), because it's a lot of money to pay for memories they're not going to have. But that's just mine & my husband's view on it for *ourselves* and we're totally fine with other people viewing it differently. So for us, we're happy with our decision and we're happy with the decision other people make. We remember that our perspective is for OURSELVES. If these people behind you thought that children should be older...that's fine for them. It crossed the line when they started making comments out loud knowing you were there in front of them. THAT is wrong. It's totally unnecessary and uncalled for.

Without having read this thread through, here is my 2 cents:

To settle this issue we have to go to the creator...............the creator of Disney World and Disneyland before that. Walt Disney himself! His inspiration was that he wanted a place where parents can go with their children and enjoy the attractions together. (remember the story of Walt having to sit and watch while his daughers rode the rides in the park?) Nowhere, in his dream, did Walt specify an age limitation!!! He said "children and adults, together" Not "adults and children who are of an age where they will have a memory of the fun they had".

That being said, if finances allowed only a once in a lifetime trip to WDW, sure I would chose to wait until they were at an age where they would remember all of it. But since that is not the case for many of us, who is to say when we should or shouldn't go with our kids!!!! DH and I took DS#1 with us when he was just 7 mo old bc WE love WDW and we didn't want to leave our child home and go alone!!

OOOOOOOH, I could go on and on......if someone ever makes a comment like that within earshot of me they will be very sorry!!!!!! I would start off by saying, "Well, I wonder what Walt would think of what you just said." :sad2:

gabbygrennell said:
Another thing that goes along with this is.....
for instance my kids, ages 10, 6 & 3, last trip were 9, 5 & 2. Should my older kids have to wait until they are teens so that my dd is "old enough"? I dont think so!

Exactly! We have 3 children - two sons 11 and 8 and a 13 month old girl. We've had a few people (mostly my mother) say "you're mad, she's too young" etc. etc. And I keep having to point out that my two boys won't be children forever and why should they wait until his sister is old enough to remember it? It doesn't make any sense. We've talked about a Disney holiday for the last 8 years and just could never seem to afford it. This year, we're going all out and doing it once and for all. :banana: I *desperately* want to bring my boys while they're still children. We'll just have to go again when our girl is 5 or 6. It's a lot of pressure going twice but we'll make that sacrifice. lol!! :teeth:

DebIreland said:
Exactly! We have 3 children - two sons 11 and 8 and a 13 month old girl. We've had a few people (mostly my mother) say "you're mad, she's too young" etc. etc. And I keep having to point out that my two boys won't be children forever and why should they wait until his sister is old enough to remember it? It doesn't make any sense. We've talked about a Disney holiday for the last 8 years and just could never seem to afford it. This year, we're going all out and doing it once and for all. :banana: I *desperately* want to bring my boys while they're still children. We'll just have to go again when our girl is 5 or 6. It's a lot of pressure going twice but we'll make that sacrifice. lol!! :teeth:
We took our oldest when he was 4 (he's now 6 going back for his third time) and our youngest who is 20 months will also be making his third trip, 2nd officially. :teeth:
Deb - Your boys are going to love it, and your beautiful young lady is going to help you enjoy it. She may not remember it, but you'll always remember the smiles, giggles, and looks in her eyes.

There is always alot of discussion about the "perfect age" for WDW. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing. Every child is different and every stage of their lives is different. We have takenour DD at age 2 and 5. Sure, when she was older she had just a little more fun and remembers just a little bit more. Do I regret the trip at 2? Was it money wasted? NO WAY! Now we have a DS, age 9 mo. We leave June 18 for DDthird trip to WDW. And you can bet that this time she'll have just a little more fun and remember just a little bit more than the last trip (she will be 7). Besides, why should I put her life on hold while we wait on her brother to grow up? IMO, anytime is perfect for WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter