No idea where to ask this ? about World Showcase Workers...

Indians24

Mouseketeer
I've always wondered but never asked...most of the world showcase employees have accents and are clearly from the country they're representing. Most of them are also very young. Is there some program where they come and work for Disney for a year or so and then return home? Or did they all happen to move to Orlando? Again, I know this isn't the place to ask, I just couldn't find anywhere else and I've always wondered!

There's a program Disney runs where they come over for x amount of time (don't remember how long) and then return to their home country

I've always wondered but never asked...most of the world showcase employees have accents and are clearly from the country they're representing. Most of them are also very young. Is there some program where they come and work for Disney for a year or so and then return home? Or did they all happen to move to Orlando? Again, I know this isn't the place to ask, I just couldn't find anywhere else and I've always wondered!

They have contract, I assume most of them young because it is not easy for someone with a family to be away for a year or even more.

The Program is the International/Cultural Representative Program

https://www.disneyinternationalprograms.com/crp.html

I've had a friend that did it and he said it was the greatest experience of his life, and I will definitely be applying for it. It's a similar situation to the college program, where they provide housing and transportation to and around WDW. I believe the programs length is a year, and yes, most are young because it's a thing to do when you're still considering what schooling to do, or taking a year off after college before going into career mode, and you get lots of time to explore Florida/the US

It looks like a really cool thing!

When we were visiting Epcot in 2010, we had the pleasure of conversing for awhile with our Italian waiter in Via Napole. He was explaining the program to us and was telling us what a fantastic opportunity it is for him to be able to come to America. The program really sounds amazing! Wish I could have done something like that right out of high school or college that would have given me the opportunity to really see another part of the world!

It depends on the role they are doing...

Most of the Food and Beverage locations are not actually operated by Disney, they are owned and operated by the host country, and therefore that company recruits/hires their employees.

On the other hand, attractions and merchandise locations are Disney operated so they are either individuals who have permenantly relocated, or have been recruited to work (typically for a year).

I talked to a cm from Scotland in one of the UK gift shops who also told me about the program. She said it was a unique experience and she was enjoying her stay at WDW. We talked for a little bit about Scotland (I was there once, years ago) and it was interesting to talk to her!

I think that sounds like an awesome opportunity. There are very few affordable ways to live abroad at such a young age! It's nice to know most of the workers enjoy it, too. To Katt, good luck! I hope you are accepted ;)

The young man who cut my kids silhouettes the last time was from France and he was here for 3 years. He said he didn't want to go back! He really liked it here.

they are all on college program like an internship thru WDW and will work in the country they from during that time here. Makes it awesome for all of us here we feel

Anyone know if there's a companion program at DLP, or Tokyo, or maybe Aulani? Sign me up! :)

Anyone know if there's a companion program at DLP, or Tokyo, or maybe Aulani? Sign me up! :)

No, I'm pretty sure it's unique to WDW. They DO hire for Tokyo for face characters on occasion and the auditions for that are usually done at DL or WDW.

canopynut66 said:
they are all on college program like an internship thru WDW and will work in the country they from during that time here. Makes it awesome for all of us here we feel

It's not necessarily linked to a college programme , you don't have to be studying in education.

Here in the UK you apply through a recruiter called Yummy Jobs. If successfull you have a telephone interview, followed by a face to face interview in London, then you are informed when you'll be on a flight to Orlando!

I'm planning on applying next year, I currently work in catering/hospitality.

In regards to Tokyo and Paris, auditions are held in London and other European cities. For Paris, you have to speak 2 European languages, not sure about Tokyo although I assume you have to speak Japanese as Tokyo Disney is massively skewed towards the Japanese tourist.

I was on my College Program last year and I had a lot of friends who were on the International program. This is what everyone is talking about. They come for three or six months (or even a year, I think), they come and work here, and some of them are even Cultural Representatives (they wear the fancy ribbon with their flag under their name tag). They're all really great and getting to know people from other countries is a fantastic experience. I had lots of friends from New Zealand, Australia, the UK, and China.

They get up to a year's visa to work at WDW. I don't know if they can work a year and then get their visa renewed.

I have a friend who is CONVINCED that *none* of the CMs in the world showcase are from foreign countries. She swears that they all are locals using fake accents.

I did it way back...truly one fo the best experinces of my life. work can be tedious, but erally, what is not to love talking to people all day either in Food & Bev or Attractions or Merchandise??

You live with people from the other pavilions, in a large complex, similar to the College Program. The International Program is 12 months, and possibly can extend to 15 months, but it's a very specific Visa.

You have to be 18, but we had people anywhere from the 18 up to 30 there during my time. Some are still my best frineds and we tend to travel the world to try and meet up again, even these many years later. My DH has met tons of the other Canadians I worked with and we had a reunion of many from our year from all over a couple of years back.

The flag under their name tag isn't about the country they are from (the pavilion and costume should tell you that)...it denotes another language spoken (like a France flag for French, Italy flag for Italian, etc).

For those thinking of applying...definitely do it! Great year with amazing memories and experience!!

I have a friend who is CONVINCED that *none* of the CMs in the world showcase are from foreign countries. She swears that they all are locals using fake accents.

Definitely not. There were some permanents (often in the restaurant of each pavilion) who were local (or amy originally be from that country), but for the most part, they are there on a year-long program.

We did get a ton of questions asking us to "prove" we were from Canada...eh? But, considering my roommates were from Japan, Norway, Wales, and had friends in all of the countries...highly doubt they were really from Ocala ;)

I think having workers from each particular country add a lot to the experience. I'm italian and don't want someone similar waiting on me in Morocco! And that's interesting that many of the restaurants in the World Showcase aren't actually owned by Disney...I had no idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter