No Ice = 3/4 full cup!

bdoyledimou

Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in
I have a sensitivity to cold (icecream, Ice, even refrigerated drinks) which send me into hiccup fits, so i always request my beverages without (or at the minimum with very little) ice.

I have found that at the World this results in a 3/4 full cup. This is the only place i have ever experienced this, but thought i would share to see if anyone else experienced this?

Hmm, I order my drinks at Disney with no ice, along with a cup of ice, lol. I like to add my own amount. I've never noticed a 3/4 full drink cup, but I will definitely check in October now that you mentioned it.

my wife orders it without ice, never gets a 3/4 cup full. if you order a large you pay for a 32 ounce drink, with ice you get less than 32 ouce, without ouce you should get the 32.

At least it's not 1/4 empty!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I just love the way everyone on here is an optimist!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hubby always gets no ice everywhere we go and we never had any issues.....COsmic Rays was running over the edge.......and pizzafari in AK

Not sure if Disney has them, but there are some Soda dispensers that actually put a premeasured amount of soda (and allow for ice) - there are buttons for various sized cups - for example: 10 oz, cup, 16 oz cup, 32 oz. cup.

Not sure if Disney has them, but there are some Soda dispensers that actually put a premeasured amount of soda (and allow for ice) - there are buttons for various sized cups - for example: 10 oz, cup, 16 oz cup, 32 oz. cup.

I was thinking the same thing. McDonalds has them at the drive thru. (Dining room is self serve.)

I agree with the others that I always order my drinks with no ice and have never experienced anything less than a basically overflowing cup!

Exactly this. I, too, prefer no ice for the same reasons, and have been watching numerous harried looking new CMs, all earnestly trying to earn their ears, working the soda machines at various QS places all week. If they put the cup under the dispenser without ice and hit the button to fill to 21 oz., it will come up short. I saw one CM then coach a new CM how to push the bypass button to top it off, but I suspect if you've been there this week, especially with new CMs working but not yet fully up to speed, that has been the issue.

The missing soda myth.......

When you order a fountain soda without ice - you are actually getting the same portion of soda - with or without the ice.
The soda fountains are - as someone said previously - programmed and calibrated to dispense the correct amount of soda when the button is pressed.
32oz drink = 32ozs of soda - etc etc.....(of course if they are incorrectly calibrated then who knows what you may get!)
There is a certain amount of pressure on the CM's when they get a request for 'No Ice Please' - especially newbies - because they (like you) see a cup that looks like it is short of liquid - so they press the 'top up' button and fill it to the top of the cup.
It's just lucky (for you - not the restaurant owner!) if you get someone who tops up your drink - and if not then - hey - you got what you paid for.
I know a few people who ask for no ice - specifically because they know that they may get more drink that way (sad I know!!!).
I have also seen these machines (wrongly) calibrated to fill a cup - and then when ice is put in the cup first - the cup overflows and there is soda pouring into the waste tray and down the drain below every time....
Beverage yields are usually monitored in restaurants and that is why the calibration is critical. If you imagine a busy fast food franchise that sells maybe 3000 cups of soda a day - and every one of those get 'topped up' by say just 5 ozs - thats the equivilent of over 700 regular drinks per day going 'missing' - and at say $1.50 a pop - you do the math.....!

Milly

Millys' explanation is pretty good and I agree that's why you're seeing not full glasses.

But I'm not a believer that the restaurant is losing very much by topping up. I managed a McDonald's and the cost of the syrup that makes the drink is probably the smallest cost. 1-2 cents per glass. The straw can be just as costly.

Millys' explanation is pretty good and I agree that's why you're seeing not full glasses.

But I'm not a believer that the restaurant is losing very much by topping up. I managed a McDonald's and the cost of the syrup that makes the drink is probably the smallest cost. 1-2 cents per glass. The straw can be just as costly.

^
This.

Many pop machines are calibrated with the dispensed amounts premeasured.

According to the beverage distributors I know the cost *lost* is more on the likes of fractions of a cent lost per glass. Soda pop syrups are some of the least expensive edible items a restaurant has to buy. Many times the syrups are given cost free to restaurants in exchange for advertizing their product on the menus or in the case of some theme parks due to the fact that the product is sold with huge markups in the beverage carts. In essence there really is no loss to a restaurant by filling the cup to full.

^
This.

Many pop machines are calibrated with the dispensed amounts premeasured.

According to the beverage distributors I know the cost *lost* is more on the likes of fractions of a cent lost per glass. Soda pop syrups are some of the least expensive edible items a restaurant has to buy. Many times the syrups are given cost free to restaurants in exchange for advertizing their product on the menus or in the case of some theme parks due to the fact that the product is sold with huge markups in the beverage carts. In essence there really is no loss to a restaurant by filling the cup to full.

I learned on the KTTK Tour that Disney gets the fountain drinks and cups for free from Coke. In exchange, Coke gets exclusive rights to WDW property.

I used to work for McDonald's 25 years ago.

If you look at the side of a paper cup you will see a line maybe 1/4 of the way up the side of the cup. This is how much ice is supposed to be in the cup.

I would say every place that sells pop at WDW uses calibrated dispensers(the McDonald's I used to work at no has a fully automated machine that drops a cup ,adds ice and then adds the proper beverage). I used to calibrate the ones I worked at.

Now to my story. We had a manager that if you filled a cup and it was short he made you put in more ice to get up to the top. He claimed that we lost money, thousands a week :scared1:, if you just toped it off.

This guy also thought that the KITT car in Knight rider was totally possible at the time. Yes Natural language processing was possible in the 1980's. :rotfl:

I too worked at McDonalds in my youth so I know that soda from a dispenser costs next to nothing. We always order our drinks with no ice and have never had a problem. If someone handed me back a cup not filled to the top I would politely ask them to fill it.

While I understand the OP's reason for not getting ice in a (purchased) drink, it makes 100% sense to me that all persons who purchase a beverage of the same size at the same location get the the same number of ounces of beverage.

For those who would then point out that ice melts, giving more beverage to customers who want the ice, I would counter, "Then the equitable action would be to fill the remaining space in the iceless beverage with water".

This is a funny story about asking for ice...I took a client to lunch. He is kind of wierdo and was nervous about it. Any ways he proceeds to order his drink and says he only wants "two ice cubes" and proceeded to tell the server if he asks for a little he gets alot, if asks for no ice he gets ice, so if he asks for 2 ice cubes surely she count to 2. I was so embarrassed, but I saw his point! That was only the beginning, you should have heard him order his salad. Something like the scene in When Harry met Sally. I was just waiting for the screaming! I was nice and gave that server an extra large tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter