No Housekeeping

csace7

Earning My Ears
I heard that with the advent of COVID, Walt Disney World Resorts would no longer have daily housekeeping. Is that true? I am staying a week in late march/early april. I am ok with no housekeeping for the first couple of days, but halfway through I want them to clean up at least a little bit.

Housekeeping information from DisneyWorld.com:
Prior to your arrival, your room will undergo thorough cleaning—with attention to:
  • High-touch areas, like TV remotes and door handles
  • Housekeeping tools will be cleaned between rooms
  • Floors, which will be steam cleaned and vacuumed between Guests
Inside your room, you’ll find:
  • Individually wrapped glassware
  • Double-cased pillows
  • Additional items that have been cleaned and wrapped in single-use packaging
And during your stay, your room will receive a light cleaning service every other day, which will include:
  • Removal of trash and used towels
  • Replenishment of towels and amenities throughout the room and bathroom
  • Wiping and cleaning of the vanity and counter surfaces
  • Vacuuming if needed
You can also decline every-other-day service.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/resorts/

So it is true? You can still call them to clean up though right?
No, I don't believe so. Depending on what you mean by "clean up" it may be done during the every-other-day housekeeping visit: trash and towels, wipe the counters and maybe vacuuming; don't expect them to touch the beds. If you want more towels or clean bed linens, you can call and they'll deliver for you to do it. They are doing deep cleans between guests, not much cleaning during your stay.

For my stay at Pop in late August, they came every other day. They brought fresh towels, emptied trash and used the Swiffer mop on the floor. I assume if I had used the coffee maker they would have restocked, but I didn’t. They did not touch the bed. I will not change the bed linens myself because they use flat sheets on the mattress instead of fitted sheets, and unfortunately I can’t get them on the bed so they will stay put. If I am solo and on one of my longer trips, I sleep in one bed half the time and then switch to the other.

I am at BLT right now and confirm there is no daily housekeeping, but they do come by and empty the trash everyday. You can also get new towels if needed.

How dirty does a hotel room really get during a stay? Trash is a minimum unless you are eating in the room and full bags can easily be taken out to a garbage bin. Clean towels can be requested to replace dirty towels. Is daily vacuuming necessary?

How dirty does a hotel room really get during a stay? Trash is a minimum unless you are eating in the room and full bags can easily be taken out to a garbage bin. Clean towels can be requested to replace dirty towels. Is daily vacuuming necessary?

I know for us it was a lot more dirty this time, because we spent more time in the room due to the short hours of the parks. Also, with mobile ordering we did eat in a the room several times which is something we have never done previously. I found myself cleaning every night. However, we had a one bedroom villa and luckily they left items to tidy up with (vacuum, broom, etc).

To the Ops question...they came to empty our trash and give us towels almost everyday. I will say if we were in the room we had to bring them the dirty towels and the trash to our front door due to covid. I definitely did not enjoy that.

They emptied one of our trash cans (not both) and gave us clean towels one day (5 day stay). Nothing else. We stayed at CB last week.

They will come either every other day or not at all depending on what you choose (if you do online check in anyway). I did a three night stay in August and chose not to do housekeeping, but for my upcoming trips I'm having the every other day. They don't do a full, full clean though from what I've heard, which is fine, I just don't want the trash to overflow or run out of washcloths.

We just returned from CBR on Friday and we were told that since we did not opt out of housekeeping, a housekeeper would come by every other day to replace towels and empty the trash and that's exactly what they did. They were not cleaning surfaces, changing sheets, making beds, etc. Seems like it could possibly vary between resorts, if some people are finding them emptying their trash each day.

They emptied one of our trash cans (not both) and gave us clean towels one day (5 day stay). Nothing else. We stayed at CB last week.
Interesting. We were there 6 nights and received trash and towels twice. What section were you in? We were in Jamaica.

Ok the weirdest thing happened today. We are staying at Pop. We were in our room for a break before heading to Disney Springs for dinner so it was about 4-4:30pm. We heard a knock on the door. And a 2nd knock before I could get to the door and then I realized I didn’t have my mask on, so I turned around to grab it off the bed all the while saying just a minute. But the guy didn’t listen or didn’t care and was starting to come in our room. I did open the door about the same time he was starting to push as I could hear the handle turning. He said “I have to do a safety check” and basically just pushed past me to walk in the room. Kinda rude like. Never heard of a safety check before. Anyways, he walked into our bathroom, flushed the toilet, then turned around and left without explaining what the heck that was all about! Any ideas? The only reason I could come up with was my daughter didn’t like the idea of housekeeping coming in our room while we were gone so we put the do not disturb sign out both days we’ve been here so far. I just thought the whole thing was very odd.

Ok the weirdest thing happened today. We are staying at Pop. We were in our room for a break before heading to Disney Springs for dinner so it was about 4-4:30pm. We heard a knock on the door. And a 2nd knock before I could get to the door and then I realized I didn’t have my mask on, so I turned around to grab it off the bed all the while saying just a minute. But the guy didn’t listen or didn’t care and was starting to come in our room. I did open the door about the same time he was starting to push as I could hear the handle turning. He said “I have to do a safety check” and basically just pushed past me to walk in the room. Kinda rude like. Never heard of a safety check before. Anyways, he walked into our bathroom, flushed the toilet, then turned around and left without explaining what the heck that was all about! Any ideas? The only reason I could come up with was my daughter didn’t like the idea of housekeeping coming in our room while we were gone so we put the do not disturb sign out both days we’ve been here so far. I just thought the whole thing was very odd.

You had a security check. Security checks have going on at Disney for almost 3 years now. They knock first. If you don’t answer, or don’t answer quick enough, they use their key to come in. So consider putting the room latch on when you’re in your room.

And there are no more do not disturb signs. They are now called room occupied signs. When you put it out on your door, you are alerting security that there are people in your room at the moment. It won’t stop anyone from knocking, but they’ll wait a bit longer before entering if nobody in your room answers the door.

It felt unsettling for us at first. But now, we’re just used to it.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/security-checks.3817209/

When you do online check in you will have the option to decline housekeeping. If you are checking in at the front desk you can decline then. Declining housekeeping is not the same as security checks. You cannot decline the security checks. security checks will occur. You can request they come later, when you are not in the room.

We just returned from CBR on Friday and we were told that since we did not opt out of housekeeping, a housekeeper would come by every other day to replace towels and empty the trash and that's exactly what they did. They were not cleaning surfaces, changing sheets, making beds, etc. Seems like it could possibly vary between resorts, if some people are finding them emptying their trash each day.

Interesting. We were there 6 nights and received trash and towels twice. What section were you in? We were in Jamaica.
We were in Aruba. They also didn't give us any soap (from day 1). No big deal as I had sample soaps in my bag anyways. But on the bright side there were 3 tubes of body lotion :).

You had a security check. Security checks have going on at Disney for almost 3 years now. They knock first. If you don’t answer, or don’t answer quick enough, they use their key to come in. So consider putting the room latch on when you’re in your room.

And there are no more do not disturb signs. They are now called room occupied signs. When you put it out on your door, you are alerting security that there are people in your room at the moment. It won’t stop anyone from knocking, but they’ll wait a bit longer before entering if nobody in your room answers the door.

It felt unsettling for us at first. But now, we’re just used to it.

Thanks for the info. And yes, that is what I meant “room occupied”. We haven’t been here for 9 years so it has been awhile. It was just very unexpected and the thing was it made me feel unsafe. I’m a single Mom with my 14yo dd and to have this big burly man barge in scared me a bit. He could have been polite and explained himself a little better. We normally do have the latch over the door. Not sure why we didn’t that time. I’m just glad we were dressed; it was that fast and pushy. My dd was in bed under the covers resting while playing on her phone. It was just unsettling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I can totally understand with the Vegas massacre why random checks are necessary. It was just unsettling to have this big burly man push his way into our room when it was just me and my 14yo dd. While it may have made hotel feel better about my intentions for being here, it made me feel unsafe like we were about to have someone hurt us. He definitely could have been more polite and explained himself in a friendly way exactly what he was doing and why he needed to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter