No home phone service but DirecTV -- how does it work?

mom2mikel

DIS Veteran
Thinking of dumping my home phone soon, but we have DirecTV receivers that have to dial in for updates. We will have DSL.

I'm sure there is a way to do it -- I just need help understanding how!

Thanks!

We have had Directv for 5 years, and have never had the receivers connected to our phone line. At the time we signed up, I said i didn't want them connected since the phone jack is on the other side of the living room. They said that was fine, I just wouldn't be able to order ppv stuff with the remote, which we would never do anyway. You should call Directv and ask...

We have had Directv for 5 years, and have never had the receivers connected to our phone line. At the time we signed up, I said i didn't want them connected since the phone jack is on the other side of the living room. They said that was fine, I just wouldn't be able to order ppv stuff with the remote, which we would never do anyway. You should call Directv and ask...

:thumbsup2 We've had DTV for a while now & been told we had to have our receivers connected to the phone line. They haven't been in the 8 years we've had service & no problems. It all comes down to ordering PPV with the remote from what we can tell.

I've had Direct TV for 10 years, and it does not run through phone lines. We have a cel phone only and have no phone lines to our house.

I never order PPV movies, but if I wanted to, I have to call their 800 number to do so instead of ordering them from the remote.....just like the PP said.

I get my satellite internet through Direct tv as well.

We have one receiver not hooked up to a phone line and every day we get the annoying message to make a call soon. Can you turn that reminder off?

All of our receivers are DVRs, including 2 high def - not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!!

in the lasst 7 yrs of Direct Tv service, we only ahd it hooked up for the first 6 months and never a problem after that. It does all it's updates thru the satellite apparently and we can still order PPV thru the remote since my kid did it somehow and their box was NEVER hooked up.

Another family with directv and no landline. On the rare occassion we order PPV we do it online (or can call). Our updates come through the satellite I think. My grandma has an old Directv box and hers isn't hooked up to a phone line either.

We just got rid of our landline last month and also have directv. There are some great directv forums for any info you need at dbstalk.com. there were plenty of people on here who confirmed you did not need the phone connected to get service. From what we gathered, the phone is connected only to dial in to let them know if you got any PPV movies. Before we disconnected, only 1 of the 4 boxes we have were connected via the phone. The newer boxes are switching to getting info from the satellite and have been for the past 2 years or so...
We have naked dsl with verizon, for 19.99 a month it's just internet and no phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter