No Holiday Exterior Room Decorations

Sure it does! It works everywhere. The honor polocy has to do with ones self, and whether or not you can look in the mirror with pride about how you delt with the opportunities in this life.

Now excuse me; I have to go, I left my cigarettes out on the balcony . . .

So do you mean there is honor in ignoring policy. :confused3

While I enjoyed seeing people decorate their balconies at OKW in past years, I can understand Disney wanting to stop the practice. Lighting would add a bit to the resort energy bill, but I doubt that is their major concern. The problem is likely that many guests did not clean up after themselves, leaving housekeeping additional time-consuming work to ready the rooms for the next guest. Imagine if someone had decorated a balcony, and simply left it for the next guest to "enjoy," never considering that the next guest may not appreciate their balcony being decorated, or what if they do not share the same religious beliefs as the previous occupant?

Then there are also some fire/safety concerns. Someone could fall while reaching to attach lights. People do dumb things on vacation.

I totally agree. Leave your holiday decor at home ! Enjoy Disney's decor !

I say "Bah! Humbug!" Disney and I plan on putting my lights on the balcony at OKW when I arrive after Thanksgiving.

That's OK, there is someone who is planning on printing the policy out from the website and standing at the front desk every day to demand it be enforced.

It won't be me, I dislike seeing other people's decorations all over my Disney theming and ambiance - and really hope they crack down hard, but I won't be there to complain and I don't waste my time or emotional energy on it. But we can pretty much count on some DVCer deciding to spend their vacation holding Disney to their word.

I like seeing the decorations but I'm okay if Disney enforces policy and they aren't there.

I wonder if there will be enforcement at Wilderness campground where Disney even has carriage rides to show off the decorations done by the guests?

There were lights up on a balcony at BLT when we were there in June :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised Disney hasn't seen the opportunity to rent out seasonal decorations to guests or even do the decorating for them at a price. Then they could ensure safety regs were followed and have a standardised 'look' for each resort in keeping with the theme.

I love seeing all the holiday decorations but DH is a qualified electrical inspector and he is :scared1: at some of the wiring seen in WDW (and not just by guests ;) ) so I guess from that angle things could be improved.

I like seeing the decorations but I'm okay if Disney enforces policy and they aren't there.

I wonder if there will be enforcement at Wilderness campground where Disney even has carriage rides to show off the decorations done by the guests?

DSCN9417-1.jpg

This was posted over on the campground board (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2716933&page=2) - what I take from all this is Disney's insurance adjusters must be giving them grief about some of those decorations: Dark cords hanging from trees, Cords in places where passer-bys or their children might trip and fall, decorations in use not rated for outdoor usage.

Note: I haven't been over to Ft W to see the Christmas decor on the campsites, as it's really not my style of decorating. I've only seen the pics from here which tend to highlight the 'best' displays so I can't comment on how dangerous some were. There is a thought going on in that thread that a few offenders were tweaking out their power boxes to support the RV and decorations. That's a major cause for concern there.

When we were at OKW about 3 weeks ago, some one had strung lights all over their balcony. I kept thinking how tacky it looked. I just don't understand why people have to do this type thing. Why not just enjoy the resort as it was designed.

I agree. I want to enjoy the ambience of the resort I am staying at, not someone else's idea of a nice decoration.
I decorate at home to my taste. I do not care to see it on the outside of the Villas when I am at Disney.

Again, my opinion and I too realize others feel differently, but I am glad

:thumbsup2

Have to agree with the policy. I love Christmas decor as much as anyone. BUT...I have seen so many people go overboard with the lights. We were just there in mid-Oct. I couldn't believe the balconies I saw that were all lit up in orange lights!! And there was one blow-up Winnie the Pooh with a Halloween costume on...tied to the balcony so he wouldn't 'take off'. And at Christmas, it's so much worse. Huge semi-blownup figures hanging off balconies, massive amounts of lights, some very haphazardly stuck up. It's just not attractive. I guess that if you want to decorate your balcony door, on the inside, go for it. I put up a light up holiday Mickey on my balcony door, but it's interior, not exterior...and it's just the one thing.
But people will be people and do exactly what they want..whether Disney allows it or not.

i love the holidays, and decorations on all the houses in our area.

but like others, i think the ones ppl put on resort balconies really detract from the look of a resort. i wanted to take more photos of the BWV this past october, but decided against it after seeing the hanging black cats, paper witches, and wired lights. the beautiful BW, with all its splendid period detailing looked disjointed and cheap :guilty:

interior decorations are wonderful (assuming safe, of course:)), including those on doors....thank goodness they might actually no longer allow the outside personal decor, and let everyone else enjoy the resorts' design the way the architects planned.

Well, it's my home away from home, and I leave the drapes drawn and the tree is on a timer, and as we walk home from the bus, I like to see our tree welcoming us. It's not outside, so it's allowed, but I suppose it detracts from what some people like. It's Christmastime, and I like the symbolism of the lights.

Well, it's my home away from home, and I leave the drapes drawn and the tree is on a timer, and as we walk home from the bus, I like to see our tree welcoming us. It's not outside, so it's allowed, but I suppose it detracts from what some people like. It's Christmastime, and I like the symbolism of the lights.

personally, i love seeing lighted trees through a window. even while driving around in town, it feels like there is a little bit of warm and fuzzy norman rockwell going on wherever a decorated Christmas tree is glowing :santa: imho, everyone can decorate their personal homes and villa's interiors to their heart's content!

i think many, including myself, just don't care to see the exterior of a resort, which so many enjoy as it was designed, changed with so different lights, hanging decor, etc.

happy thanksgiving!!

Eh. I won't be in my room long enough to care if it's decorated or not. So no decorations. more room in the suitcase for the winter clothes in case it's as cold as last year.

I DESPISE exterior decorations on villas and hotel rooms. If they enforce the by laws in the DVC contracts I say YAY!!!! :cool1:

The decorations are out of control.

This announcement makes me very, very happy - nothing worse than awful looking X-mas decorations that cheapen the look of the villas. Let the experts (Disney) take care of the decorations.

I just wish DVC took a harder stance with the morons that think it is OK to hang towels and/or swim trunks over their balconies.

no it was BIG - covered the complete balcony - there was no missing it. you would notice it before the CR tree decorations next to BLT.

It was big and awful -it was a guest that was down the hall from me. They also had their door decorated. I was troubled that DVC let those awful decorations stay up.

Its not stopped people in the past, it won't stop people this year either.

And if Disney wants to start being a bad guy and start enforcing a DVC stay rule, how about penalizing people who fail to check-out and stay in their room until 3pm!

And bring their dogs when it is obvious they are not service dogs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter