• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No HD TV at AKLV

bunny

DIS Veteran
I just spent two nights at the AKLV Kidani and was surprised with the quality of the TV broadcast. The TV was so grainy that it was barely watchable. My husband called the front desk to complain. The person told him that the resort had signed a new contract with Dish and opted not to get HD. Come on. That is ridiculous. How much more could it cost? This resort charges $475 a night for a savannah view studio. If I were a cash paying customer, I would feel ripped off. Is that the situation at all the Disney resorts or only the DVC resorts?

I just spent two nights at the AKLV Kidani and was surprised with the quality of the TV broadcast. The TV was so grainy that it was barely watchable. My husband called the front desk to complain. The person told him that the resort had signed a new contract with Dish and opted not to get HD. Come on. That is ridiculous. How much more could it cost? This resort charges $475 a night for a savannah view studio. If I were a cash paying customer, I would feel ripped off. Is that the situation at all the Disney resorts or only the DVC resorts?

The new contract I believe is with DirecTV and it is property wide. All of WDW would have the same issues, not just the DVC Resorts. Satellite TV is subject to interference from weather, rain, and cloud cover.

The new contract for internet access has also proven to provide sub-standard service.

:earsboy: Bill

Well, if they don't have HD televisions in all the rooms, it really wouldn't do much good, would it?

Deb & Bill said:
Well, if they don't have HD televisions in all the rooms, it really wouldn't do much good, would it?

That's what I was thinking.

As an owner there, that is very disappointing. Ripoff indeed.

I don't go to Disney to watch TV. I don't mind if the morning new is not HD. Now, Ellen's Energy Adventure . . . there's a film presentation that needs an update!

Considering the TV lineup at Disneyworld in the past - this is fantastic. They didn't even have all the major networks in the past and people lived with that!! :happytv:

If they made watching TV better then you might do that instead of being in the parks and spending money.

If reception was the issue HDTV would not make a difference. WIth satelite if weather interfers doesn't matter what kind of TV.

We check out tomorrow after having spent the past nine days at Kidani. The picture in our room is not amazing but it is absolutely watchable.

My husband called the front desk to complain.

Sounds to me like the virtual "front desk" struck again. :sick:

I know that when we've stayed at AKV before, there were HD channels. Not sure what was going on here but I doubt there was much truth to the information given out by that "front desk" operator located miles away from Walt Disney World.

All we ever end up watching is "Must Do Disney" and Samantha Brown telling us how great DVC is. I really don't care if that is HD or not.

We were there in May and had no problem with the tv quality. Sorry you did

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

HD-TV is a pretty standard amenity these days, so if true that WDW has eliminated this, it seems a little cheap. And begs the question, what cutbacks will we see in the future?

Regardless of whether one watches tv or not while at WDW, it's a bit troubling to see services and amenities downgraded at the supposed "deluxe" Disney accommodations.

We were just at Kidani last week. Had no issues with TV reception on any of the TVs in our 2 bedroom unit, clear as a bell on all 3.

Honestly I have no idea if it was HD or not (and this is from someone with the monster 60" HD plasma TV at home :rotfl2:)

I returned from a 2 night trip to VWL and then a week at kidani last month. The difference between the HD picture at VWL and the standard picture at kidani was startling. So much so that I requested an engineer at kidani who tweaked the cable which helped a bit.

He explained that there was no HD at kidani as the televisions were not HD and there were no plans to replace the televisions at the moment. It's a shame as with all the new channels there is actually worth watching now!

He explained that there was no HD at kidani as the televisions were not HD and there were no plans to replace the televisions at the moment. It's a shame as with all the new channels there is actually worth watching now!

When we stayed at Kidani, the TV in the villa was an HDTV.

We arrived at Kidani on August 9th ( actually the 10th by the time we got to our room). We had a 2BR and the living room reception was awful. The kids bedroom was ok but the master was also bad. We called maintenance and she was there in about 10 minutes. ( I was hoping at 2:20am they couldn't be too busy).She made some adjustments to the TV's which made them a little better but she pointed out that there system switched over to analog the night before.She said there was a storm that took out Disney's satellite system for all the resorts and it's all the maintence workers were fixing as people called.She was hoping their system would be restored in a couple days. This was 16 days ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter