• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Grumpy Guses Allowed! Updated 5/15- We have plane tickets!

-Hope-

Always dreaming of adventure...
:cheer2::cheer2: Hi everyone!! :cheer2::cheer2:

I'm soooo excited to be starting this PTR!! My trip isn't even close but I'm gonna ramble on for the next 11 months anyway... Be warned, there will be lots of pictures, posts about my life that have nothing to do with Disney (though I'll work hard to make it about Disney to justify it), and a gratuitous use of smilies (evidenced by the fact that I had to remove some because I exceeded the image limit for this post). :goodvibes:):thumbsup2:rolleyes1

First, a bit of background...

I made my first trip to The World way back in the 90s on my senior trip:

No, the fanny pack wasn't cool, even back then. I'm not sure about the rest of my ensemble TBH but I'm sure I thought I was super cute at the time... :rolleyes1

That wasn't just my first trip to Disney, it was my first trip ANYWHERE. We didn't go anywhere when I was a kid except to visit my grandparents in the next state over. Then we moved to where they live and never went anywhere at all. Are you getting choked up. I know my childhood deprivation is a sad, sad story but it only made me stronger... :p

Flash forward to adulthood and I became a travel ADDICT. Seriously, I recently became a travel agent so I'd have an excuse to price out vacations I'm never going to take without my husband trying to get me into a 12 step program. :surfweb:

So, as an adult with a family of my own and the opportunity to travel I started dragging them everywhere. We went on lots of vacations to the mountains, to the beach, even to Europe, but Disney never really crossed my mind. I'd had fun on my day in the MK with my friends but we didn't do much because we spent so much time waiting in line (did Fast Pass exist in the stoneage?) and we left long before Wishes so I had no real sense of the magic. Then we joined a homeschool group that was run by a MAD WOMAN who turned out to be a member of the mouse mafia. (Hi Karen! :wave: ) She kept throwing around phrases like free dining and discounted homeschool tickets... but it wasn't until she showed me the DIS that I understood just how dangerous this drug she was peddling was. But it was too late, she knew what she was doing...

So, we took a family trip in 2010...

The hubs was a good sport and my son had a good time but my daughter and I were HOOKED and we've been trying to get back ever since. No surprise since she's been a princess her whole life...

When I think about the moment she first saw Cinderella's castle I still get a little teary eyed and I've dreamed of going back, just the two of us ever since. But I always felt guilty about planning such a big trip without the boys. Our family is pretty tight and we have lots of fun together...

But that selfie was snapped on the first night of a 2 night trip to Kansas City a few weeks ago. They're smiling then but the first night and following morning were about all the guys could stand. Kya (that's DD, did I mention that??) and I started calling them the "Grumpy Guses" because they seemed determined not to have fun after about 24 hours of being away from home. On the 2nd evening it was decided that they were really okay with us doing stuff without them and we were really okay leaving their grumpy a$$e$ at home. :rolleyes1

So, since we love Christmas (that's why we were in KC, to see the lights!)

and we love Disney it was decided that Kya and I were heading for a girls trip to Disney next November that will include MVMCP!!!

:goodvibes :headache: :goodvibes NO GRUMPY GUSES ALLOWED!! :goodvibes :headache: :goodvibes

I did things a bit backwards (get used to that!) and told you the background of this trip before I actually introduced myself! In case you're wondering...

I'm Hope, and besides my family the thing I love most in the world is travel. Near or far, day trips or full blown family vacations, there is nothing I love more than going new places, seeing new things, and having new adventures.

As I mentioned before I recently became a travel agent as a way to feed my need for researching the perfect trip even when I don't have anywhere to go. In addition to being a TA I'm also a homeschooling mom to my 2 kids, an adult ed teacher, substitute teacher, have a booth in an antique mall (which means I go to lots of auctions, flea markets, garage sales, etc. on the hunt for treasure), and recently starting doing some light paper work for my dad's small business. Oh, and I'm also a photographer, I sometimes do portrait sessions for friends and family but mostly I just enjoy taking pictures for myself. Yep, it's a crazy life right now that keeps me on my toes- or sometimes knocks me off my feet! :faint:

And since this is a mother/daughter trip, I'll introduce you to the daughter half of the duo as well...

This amazing girl is Kya. She's 14, 15 by the time we go on the trip. She loves reading and Netflix with the same ferocity and her friends and family are very important to her. She loves our rural life but is always up for an adventure in the city. She is my mini-me. Our interests, tastes, and temperaments are very similar and we spend A LOT of time just hanging out. Whether we're spending a day at home, running errands, or off on an adventure we almost always get along and enjoy each others company. I offered to let her invite a friend on this trip but she wanted it to be just the two of us. :lovestruc

We do lots of day trips, just the two of us, and both love exploring things others might find boring (small town museums, etc.)

and one of the best things for us is finding a little local restaurant to try.

We don't have to incorporate each others wants when we're doing things together because we generally want the same things. It's one of the things we're both looking forward to most about our trip! :hug:

Hmmmm... no takers aside from my BFF who HAS to follow along. :rolleyes1

Maybe I need a new thread title... :confused3

I just found this section of Disboards and I am following! Love that you are going on a trip with your daughter! Sounds like fun! I am jealous of your months of planning... we booked with less than a month to go and I am stressed over it, but oh so excited to go! :thumbsup2

Hmmmm... no takers aside from my BFF who HAS to follow along. :rolleyes1

Maybe I need a new thread title... :confused3

The PTR's are quiet on the DIS lately. Maybe most people are like me, crazybusy right now but I know I've been on less because the DIS android app is broken, so I can only get on with my computer. I've been around much less!

I just found this section of Disboards and I am following! Love that you are going on a trip with your daughter! Sounds like fun! I am jealous of your months of planning... we booked with less than a month to go and I am stressed over it, but oh so excited to go! :thumbsup2
Yay! :welcome: You're jealous of my planning, meanwhile my family thinks I'm nuts. :rolleyes:

The PTR's are quiet on the DIS lately. Maybe most people are like me, crazybusy right now but I know I've been on less because the DIS android app is broken, so I can only get on with my computer. I've been around much less!

I guess I DID start a PTR 2 weeks before Christmas. :lol:

Okay, this update is going to be picture light because I'm at work (shhh) and can't add pics to my photobucket. Also, there really aren't pics to go with a resort I've never been too and days on a calendar so... how about some superfluous smilies. :cheer2::goodvibes:rotfl:pixiedust::moped::joker: :p

In my head I've decided we're doing a 4 night/5 day trip from November 9-13th. That should be the first week of MVMCP, which we DEFINITELY want to attend. :Pinkbounc

However, those dates are (somewhat) flexible depending on when we can get the best airfare. I kind of get to make up my own schedule for the adult ed. class I teach and I won't have to make up the one for next year until the end of May. Hopefully by then Southwest (the ONLY airline in our area that does non-stop flights to MCO) will have fares released for November so I can include a "fall break" in my schedule to coincide with our trip. :rolleyes1 Party dates should be released in April (fingers crossed) so I'll have all the info I need for a definitive date. In the meantime I've put November 9th into my countdown app so I'm at 327 days out if we stick to that schedule. :rolleyes:

Even though when is only kinda/sorta decided where is definitive. Kya wants to stay at AoA and that's what we're doing. We love The Little Mermaid and since we don't need a family suite for 2 people we'll be in LM rooms so staying at this resort will be extra magical! pixiedust: I know that the walks can be long but I honestly don't care; Kya has her heart set on this resort after seeing the pics and TBH, so do I. :lovestruc

Gratuitous pic of VotLM because I have none of AoA:

So, that's it for the setting of our trip but, just because it feels wrong to post an update with no pics of us, here's one of me and my girl from our trip to the darkside (UO):

Yep, it poured and we had a blast (and saved the city) anyway! :goodvibes

I have a pretty busy week ahead of me and probably won't have much time to DIS so I thought I'd wish everyone a Merry Christmas a few days early. :santa::santa::santa:

And, just to keep this post a teeny-tiny bit about Disney I thought I'd share the little exchange I had a couple of nights ago with Grumpy Gus #2 (DS15):

We were making our annual gingerbread house:

Jace commented how much he loves making them and looking at them. So, I told him about the gingerbread houses Kya and I will have the opportunity to see at WDW next year and showed him some pics online. He was thoroughly impressed so I asked him (again) if he was sure he didn't want to come with us. He replied:

"Well, Mom, these look pretty cool and I would like to see them. But I'd like to stay home and do nothing more."

:rotfl: :confused3 Okay kid, I get it. I'll stop asking. :lmao:

I hope you all had a Very Merry Christmas! Ours was pretty fantastic- any time I have extended time with my family is great and hubby used his last remaining vacation day of the year for the day after Christmas. He also gets off at noon on Christmas Eve so that means he had a 4 1/2 day weekend to spend with us which was AWESOME!

My niece is one and this is her second Christmas but since she decided to arrive 2 months early she was still in the NICU last Christmas. So, her first Christmas AT HOME was extra special for our family.

She started blowing rasberries when we were trying to get a pic of all three cousins in front of the tree so my kids joined in making this just about the cutest pic ever. :p :lovestruc :p

My partner in crime and daughter half of this mother/daughter trip was just as enthusiastic about Christmas as she is about adventuring with me:

She loved this poster signed by her favorite author, it was one of the first things she opened and she got tears in her eyes when she realized John Green had actually touched this poster. I love her enthusiasm and it is so contagious. :love:

Grumpy Gus #1 (DH) wasn't feeling well but it's hard to tell because he doesn't get excited about much anyway. He seemed to like his gifts but to be perfectly honest all the extended family (both mine and his) grates on him after a bit. He loves them but he's very introverted and finds spending large amounts of time with people outside our household draining. This was pretty evident when he suddenly felt better Saturday morning after all the family Christmases were finished. :rolleyes:

Grumpy Gus #2 (DS15) is in a weird place with Christmas.

He still WANTS it to be magical but, much like his dad, he finds a lot of the things that used to make Christmas fun (loads of family, noise, activity) draining. It's part of growing up I suppose but it still broke my heart a little when he said Christmas wasn't as magical as it used to be. :sad: He did enjoy his gifts though and I'm already working on my list of ways to make next year more magical than ever (Nerf guns for the entire family may be involved).

You might be wondering WHAT in the world this has to do with Disney and the truth is, not much. Just another example of WHY this is a mother daughter trip. :crazy2:

I don't really have much to add as far as actual trip planning is concerned. One think popped up that I'm VERY excited about- apparently Jack Skellington in his Sandy Claws outfit was one of the special character meet-n-greets at this year's MVMCP!!! I know there's no guarantee he'll be there next year but since he and I are simply meant to be I'm going to keep wishing and hoping! :hyper:

Hello, Hope. ;)

I stopped by to check things out, and it looks like we have quite a little bit in common. :)

I love your introduction, and wanted to post and sub in, so I can come back in a bit to read more. (Gotta start dinner) I have a PTR going as well, and mine's almost 20 months away, so haha, we 've got that going on in common- long, drawn out, oh so much fun PTRs in utter excitment! I'm glad you started early so we can share in it with you!

I'll be back in a bit or tomorrow... :goodvibes

Hello, Hope. ;) I stopped by to check things out, and it looks like we have quite a little bit in common. :) I love your introduction, and wanted to post and sub in, so I can come back in a bit to read more. (Gotta start dinner) I have a PTR going as well, and mine's almost 20 months away, so haha, we 've got that going on in common- long, drawn out, oh so much fun PTRs in utter excitment! I'm glad you started early so we can share in it with you! I'll be back in a bit or tomorrow... :goodvibes

Awesome!!! And :welcome: I'm excited to check out your PTR!! :goodvibes:

Awesome!!! And :welcome: I'm excited to check out your PTR!! :goodvibes:

I'd love to have you! We have a lot of fun over there for sure. :) Phew!

My DD and DSIL just left, and I need to hit the sack. Have a study group in the morning, but hope to hop on (hey, cool, I just used your name!) in the afternoon. "See" you soon!

Hahaha. I lied. I snuck on for a few minutes before toddling off to beddie bye...

It's a beautiful thing to have your daughter be your bestie! My daughters and I are also very close, and it's so over-the-top awesome to share so much on common and have adult "kid" confidantes right there in your own house, and even after they leave.

You are definitely a planner just like me too! I LOVE the research and talking about it all (incessantly) with my trip peoples. And when they're sick to death of talking about it, I get on here and hang out with my DISHomies.

We're tossing around the idea of AoA as well, but haven't settled on anything. Still researching all the options and all... Looks neat though!

I'd love to have you! We have a lot of fun over there for sure. :) Phew! My DD and DSIL just left, and I need to hit the sack. Have a study group in the morning, but hope to hop on (hey, cool, I just used your name!) in the afternoon. "See" you soon! Hahaha. I lied. I snuck on for a few minutes before toddling off to beddie bye... It's a beautiful thing to have your daughter be your bestie! My daughters and I are also very close, and it's so over-the-top awesome to share so much on common and have adult "kid" confidantes right there in your own house, and even after they leave. You are definitely a planner just like me too! I LOVE the research and talking about it all (incessantly) with my trip peoples. And when they're sick to death of talking about it, I get on here and hang out with my DISHomies. We're tossing around the idea of AoA as well, but haven't settled on anything. Still researching all the options and all... Looks neat though!

Yep, being so close to my girl is awesome. We spent a couple of hours today talking Disney plans and it was so great I almost forgot I had to teach a class tonight!! :rolleyes1:

Even with her to talk to I still need my dis peeps. I'm also pretty fortunate to have a BFF who's a Disney nut yet somehow I still always find something to yak about on the dis too.

Heck, I think I'm a little nuts even by dis standards... I'm going to have to give you the plans dd and I came up with today in small increments so you don't think I'm a total loon. :crazy:

Well, small increments is great, because otherwise you may not have enough to stretch things out long enough. Well, that and I go back to classes on Monday, and won't be around nearly as much. :worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter