No free dining the last 2 weeks in August?

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Plan' started by matt&jakesmom, May 6, 2013.

1. matt&jakesmom

matt&jakesmom DIS Veteran

In the past the free dining was the last 2 weeks in August and now it doesn't start until September 2. Anyone know why?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. islandtimect

islandtimect DIS Veteran

It used to only be in Sept, but when the economy tanked back in 2008, they expanded the dates. Maybe they don't need to offer it because jobless rate is down and stock market is up??

4. mm1971

mm1971 DIS Veteran

My guess is that the bookings for late August are up and no need to offer it. It will be interesting to see if they offer something after all those expecting it cancel and move reservations. Right now there is no offer at all for 8/15-9/1. Either they do not need the incentive or they may extend the RO discount currently offered through 8/14.

5. DisneyMim

DisneyMim DIS Veteran

Because they don't need to.

6. LilyWDW

LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

The use of discounts is to increase sales numbers. If they don't offer a discount it is most likely because they do not need to offer it. Bookings are most likely up from previous years and they are happy with the numbers for the time being.

7. juliehoey

juliehoey There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...OMDD WINN

I don't really believe it has anything to do with bookings.:worried: The trip I had planned for August 2011 was booked in August 2010. A week later, an unprecedented 'free dining' package deal was announced a whole year in advance. Here it is from Mousesavers.com:

8/19/11-9/29/11(STAY)
    package deal (“free dining”) for general public
    Offered-8/16/10, exp 12/20/10

So they knew a year in advance bookings were down? There has to be another reasson why. As for the PP about economy tanking in 2008...I think we're still there ;)::rotfl2:

8. littlejen22

littlejen22 Mouseketeer

I would guess some of it takes into consideration the previous years bookings and the fact that a large part of the country does not start K-12 or even community colleges until after Labor Day so they probably did better for last year and dropped it.

9. MichVick

MichVick Mouseketeer

I read that the free dining is for Visa Holders - are they still predicting the release of free dining for others on the 9th?

10. Sunnywho

Sunnywho DIS Veteran

Disney has had high attendance since the start of the year. They are projecting that to continue.

11. laceemouse

laceemouse DIS Veteran

Yes, but only for September dates.

12. Tormania

Tormania Mouseketeer

Basic business economics. If people are already buying what you are selling, you don't need to discount it. ::yes::

13. Polydweller

Polydweller DIS Veteran

It has everything to do with bookings. Free dining isn't a giveaway its a sales technique. They offer it to increase bookings. They do projections from the previous year to determine what incentives to give. In 2010 the economy was not rebounding and every economic indicator was that hotels (I'm a hotelier) would struggle in 2011 and most did. Ramping up incentives was an easy projection.

But it's now 2013 and things have improved. Obviously Disney is seeing their business improve because they announced that they were going to reduce the frequency and amount of incentives including FD and so far have doe so. The booking projections must be fine for most of the year.

Bottom line is, incentives in business are always to increase sales and FD is simply a way to increase room nights sold.

14. DisneyFive

DisneyFive What time is the 3:00 parade?

It has everything to do with bookings. EDIT: Dang, Polydweller beat me to it! :D

I know you know this, but Disney doesn't offer FD just to be nice. It is a way (and a very successful one) to increase bookings, just like their other offers. Thats why the discounts are lower or non existant during busier times of the year.

For your particular example, the general macro economic condition in the US and many parts of the world were in poor shape, and yes they predicted a year in advance that they would need some incentive (FD) to get more guests to book trips.

Disney has been saying for at least a couple of years now that they are going to be reducing or eliminating discounts (like FD) since the economic situation is improving. This is one example of that. I would expect more limited FD windows this year and future years unless the economy unexpectedly tanks.

I do feel for those who were hoping to sneek a trip before school starts (which for many is the week of Labor Day), but it looks like it may not happen in late August. :sad1:

Dan

15. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

16. tiggore91

tiggore91 Tiggore91

There is a room discount (up to 30% off) being offered today for Disney Visa holders for the last 2 weeks of August. This will be available (as will the free dining for September) to the general public on Thursday.

17. mommyrosa2

mommyrosa2 DIS Veteran

I'll be anxious to see if they stop offering the FD BB in August/Sept for the following August/Sept. I guess only time will tell....

18. Tomh

Tomh DIS Veteran

Yes, me too. We were able to book FD for the last two weeks of August 2013 as a BB last summer while we were there.

I know that the public offering for FD in the US in 2012 didn't start until the last week of August, though it was available for the last two weeks to people in Canada, and the UK, and for those who booked BB in 2011.

19. bdklein

bdklein DIS Veteran

There wasn't last year. But there was a general/public discount.

20. bartleby1

bartleby1 DIS Veteran

My memory could be off but I "thought" they first offered free dining in August 2005 after a bad hurricane season in 2004. We were there when Hurricane Charlie rolled right thru Orlando in August 2004 and I believe a week or two later another hurricane went thru also. It scared quite a few people off of taking a trip to Florida during that time period.

Does anyone remember? I could be totally thinking wrong, LOL! I definitely remember Charlie because I was extremely pregnant with my youngest and we closed on our house the day we got home from Florida. It was a hectic time! I could have sworn free dining was offered the following August to lure people into going during hurricane season.

21. TheDisney411

TheDisney411 DIS Veteran

Free dining has been offered in August every year since they started the promo in 2005. This is the first time in 9 years there is not a general public free dining offer.