No Flash Photography....Under the Sea....

WDWtinkbell1982

15 WDW trips and counting....
I was watching a video of the Under the Sea Journey in the new Fantasy Land. We are going in less than 90 days :woohoo: I did not notice an annoucement at the beginning of the ride saying "No Flash Photography" and of course....3 seconds into the ride, someone was flashing away.

Just curious to know if they annouce this at the beginning of the ride.

Just a side note:
Even if it doesn't say it....I think it is common courtesy to people around you not to use your photo flash on any of the the rides....period.

I was watching a video of the Under the Sea Journey in the new Fantasy Land. We are going in less than 90 days :woohoo: I did not notice an annoucement at the beginning of the ride saying "No Flash Photography" and of course....3 seconds into the ride, someone was flashing away.

Just curious to know if they annouce this at the beginning of the ride.

Just a side note:
Even if it doesn't say it....I think it is common courtesy to people around you not to use your photo flash on any of the the rides....period.

I think they announce it, but I'm not sure. But really, they have spotlights on the subjects, so as long as you know how to use your camera, you really won't need flash... either use a manual setting or exposure compensation (-2 probably) you'll be fine! I think I set mine on 1600 ISO, f4.0 and 1/80 of a second... I'll have to look

Agreed. But problem is, 90% of the people with a camera don't know how to use them without it being in "full automatic mode". So yes the camera is going to flash.

People need to RTFM and learn how to take low light shots with no flash. Not too difficult to do even with most modern point and shhots now a days.

It doesn't make one bit of difference whether or not they make a 'no flash photography' announcement. There will still be multiple nimrods on every trip who either don't care or don't know how to turn off the flash on their cameras. :headache: As much as it burns my cookies having to put up with these fools, there's nothing you can do about it.

The above is probably true...they do make that announcement on Pirates and Haunted Mansion and it doesn't stop the flashers. Never mind that their pics won't really turn out from the Mansion because the flash washes out the effects.

The up side is, I found that the lighting in that ride is such that the flash didn't blind me like it does on darker rides.

It doesn't make one bit of difference whether or not they make a 'no flash photography' announcement. There will still be multiple nimrods on every trip who either don't care or don't know how to turn off the flash on their cameras. :headache: As much as it burns my cookies having to put up with these fools, there's nothing you can do about it.

:rotfl2:

You are so right....! I was hoping there was an annoucement so I could just politely remind someone not to use their flash. But....now we have to rely on common sense...and as you said....NIMRODS don't have any. :rotfl:

:rotfl2:

You are so right....! I was hoping there was an annoucement so I could just politely remind someone not to use their flash. But....now we have to rely on common sense...and as you said....NIMRODS don't have any. :rotfl:

Common Sense died out about the same time as the dinosaurs. :lmao:

All the camera flashes on that ride were my dd and my biggest pet peeve!!! My dd was loudly saying "turn of your flash!" over and over! And by the middle of the ride she was loudly saying "Using your flash is super rude!!!" and "your stupid flash is ruining my ride!!" My dd was very irritated and even went up to a CM after the ride and told them how distracting it was. The CM said "yea, we know but we can't seem to stop them" and than said she was sorry my dd didn't enjoy the ride. She offered us fast passes to try again but we declined since we figured everyone would keep flashing away.

Rofl as I woulda been a "nimrod" I hadn't really thought to teach myself a Lil on menu of new digi We usually vacation outdoors so I do so*so yet we have visited aquariums&such that I had to play through the first few things to "get it" I've been through 4 digi in 10 yrs never got pro yet maybe for this trip I'll prepare cause I def want great memories not flashed out pics or burnt cookies ;) Thnx truly for the thought

All the camera flashes on that ride were my dd and my biggest pet peeve!!! My dd was loudly saying "turn of your flash!" over and over! And by the middle of the ride she was loudly saying "Using your flash is super rude!!!" and "your stupid flash is ruining my ride!!" My dd was very irritated and even went up to a CM after the ride and told them how distracting it was. The CM said "yea, we know but we can't seem to stop them" and than said she was sorry my dd didn't enjoy the ride. She offered us fast passes to try again but we declined since we figured everyone would keep flashing away.

Last trip something similar happened to me. On the Land ride, we were in the last row of the first boat. The Photographer was in the first row of the second boat and would literally take a picture every 5 seconds and was using the red eye remover 3 flashes before the flash for the picture. It was pretty much a strobe light for the first part (the dark part) of the ride.

I thought to myself "honestly, do you have to take a picture of every friggen plant?" It got to the point of where I yelled back at him to turn off his flash. He took a few more flash pictures then stopped. It was the most annoying "flash in a dark ride" experience I've ever had. Luckily no one had a seizure.

They do not announce it.

They don't have an announcement saying it (like they do at Pirates and Haunted Mansion), but the CM may say something if you have your camera in hand when loading onto the ride. At least it's been mentioned to me twice.

Sadly, yup, most people don't know/don't care and will take flash photos anyway...it's just one of those things that happens...

They don't have an announcement saying it (like they do at Pirates and Haunted Mansion), but the CM may say something if you have your camera in hand when loading onto the ride. At least it's been mentioned to me twice.

Sadly, yup, most people don't know/don't care and will take flash photos anyway...it's just one of those things that happens...

Yep. I had my DSLR in hand boarding the ride and was told "no flash photography". I didn't intend to, and was happy to hear them say something.

Yep, the second time we rode it in December some numpty was taking flash photos all the way through. My DD did ask if we could take photos and I loudly told her no sorry darling you aren't supposed to take photos that flash away on these rides. Numpty either didn' understand, didn't hear or did and decided to carry on regardless!

Claire :)

They did the week of Feb 4th when we were there. Please note that I used NO flash on many of the rides/attractions and got great pictures. You really don't need a flash!

Last trip something similar happened to me. On the Land ride, we were in the last row of the first boat. The Photographer was in the first row of the second boat and would literally take a picture every 5 seconds and was using the red eye remover 3 flashes before the flash for the picture. It was pretty much a strobe light for the first part (the dark part) of the ride.

I thought to myself "honestly, do you have to take a picture of every friggen plant?" It got to the point of where I yelled back at him to turn off his flash. He took a few more flash pictures then stopped. It was the most annoying "flash in a dark ride" experience I've ever had. Luckily no one had a seizure.

He should have had the flash going full throttle during the light part of the ride, because more light is always needed to get that never-before-taken-photo of the Mickey-shaped pumpkins (at least for those who don't know about Google). :rolleyes:

I haven't been on Under the Sea yet, but probably the most annoying example of flash use during dark rides I've experienced is in Haunted Mansion during the floating crystal ball section. I'm sure there are no photos of that available via Google (or here). :rolleyes:

Another one that annoyed me was at the Cincinnati Zoo's bat exhibit. There were numerous signs posted throughout the exhibit warning people that the bats in there are sensitive to light, and indeed the entire room was very low lit for that purpose. That didn't prevent one woman from going up to each and every window that had bats in them and shooting several flash photos. I was behind her begging her to stop, but she acted like she couldn't hear me (and others begging her to stop). Maybe she was hard of hearing, but that didn't excuse her behavior with all the signs around asking people to turn their flash off. The zoo didn't have the manpower to post someone there to police this, unfortunately.

Yes, even though it isn't always announced, common sense should dictate no flash photos on intentionally dark rides. It's dark for a reason.

Speaking of Nimrods, one posted a flash pic in the dis photo contest section from the ride. Yeah....

I was told no flash on the ride, wasn't an issue, I had my fastest lens on. Animrod two cars back didn't get the same warning and was flashing away the whole ride.

Very annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter