• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No Expire tickets....who cares?

We love them because we've been using them to get into Disneyland here and there a couple times a year. Disneyland doesn't have a non-expiration option and we don't go enough to justify a season pass. So this has worked perfectly... I will be sad when the day comes when we can no longer use them. Works also great for our Florida traveling needs as we go every couple of years and visit Disneyworld for 3 days at most.

My issue with the non-expiring tickets is that all of the good deals and discounts seem to be tied to buying at least a day or two ticket. With all the free dining and other packages the last few years, I think they really devalued having non-expiring tickets. On the positive side, the waterparks are the financial benefit. Having 10 days and being able to use them across 6 or 7 trips is a benefit. I already decided that I will never buy the non-expiring tickets again so the change is not a problem for me.

If I buy my 7 y/o son a child ticket and say we use only 1 day/year (like we usually do) that would put him at 17 when he would last use it. I thought I read somewhere that he could still use the "child" ticket because they would look back and see that it was bought back when he was a child. Is this true?

What you do is "upgrade" the ticket when he turns 10. We just did that in December for my DD's ticket. They took her child ticket and gave her an adult ticket with the same amount of remaining days that her child ticket had. It cost us nothing additional.:thumbsup2

Just wanted to add, while we normally go for a week or more and visit the parks at least 5 days, dh can never get away from work (and I think doesn't really enjoy the whole Disney thing :confused3 that much) so he normally only comes for a day maybe 2 at the parks. We got him a no expiration 10 day ticket couple of years back and he still has 6-7 days left on the plus the full waterparks. Works out great for us. We had them too back when they were a good deal all the time and we have 9 days left of waterparks, so we may make a hot weather trip there and just use the waterparks for a cheap, well, you know Disney cheap :) , visit!

The same group of Disney trip advisers, advises that if you're going to get No Expiry tickets to get them with 10 days and the Water Parks & More option added on, which costs around $696. This gives you up to 20 days of entry.
If you divide it out that way, it's only $35/entry to whichever option.

2 - 5 Day tickets with WP&M would cost $692, and you would only be able to use the admissions on that particular trip.

The combinations with these tickets are endless. Let's say a family takes a trip to Disney every year. They do 5 days in the regular parks and 2 days in a Water Park.
Trip 1: Use 5 days and 2 WP off No Expiry tickets ($696)
Trip 2: Use 5 days and 2 WP off No Expiry (no added ticket cost)
Trip 3: Buy 5 day ticket ($285) and 2 WP off No Expiry
Trip 4: Buy 5 day ticket ($285) and 2 WP off No Expiry
Trip 5: Buy 5 day ticket ($285) and 2 WP off No Expiry
Total: $1551

Trips 1-5: Buy 5 day tickets with WP&M option - $346x5=$1730

That's a savings of almost $200/person.

Basically, you're looking at costs in the long run, and it depends on your touring habits. Even if someone used all their regular park admissions in a single trip, they could potentially ration out their WP&M admissions out over the next 10.
Actually...Mousesavers has 10 day + PH + WP&M listed at $423 right now, which is a steal.
It is possible that the new Fastpass+ experience could be making it so it doesn't make since for people to "ration" tickets in that manner anymore though, which is why it would make sense for Disney to put them on "sale" so they can make money off them now, before discontinuing their convenience.

Ok. So that is a savings of $40 per trip per person if someone were traveling 5 trips. Not sure it would be worth it for us. I'm sure some would save, but that's not enough of a savings to tie up my money for what could be 10 years.

I didn't read through the whole thread so it may have been mentioned, but what about the FD package or discounts that require you to buy tickets. That would basically mean you would either need to buy tickets you don't need or hold the NE for even longer. That was the dilemma that led to my decision not to buy the NE tickets now. Our next trip is in August and I am hoping for FD. That means I would need to buy at least 2 days of tickets any way. Just thought I would bring it up.

I didn't read through the whole thread so it may have been mentioned, but what about the FD package or discounts that require you to buy tickets. That would basically mean you would either need to buy tickets you don't need or hold the NE for even longer. That was the dilemma that led to my decision not to buy the NE tickets now. Our next trip is in August and I am hoping for FD. That means I would need to buy at least 2 days of tickets any way. Just thought I would bring it up.

But, not everyone does free dining or packages. For example, we are DVC members so we do not buy packages or use Disney discounts. For some, the NE tickets work, for some they don't. So in answer to the OP's original question, some people "care".

Because paying now for something that will increase in price over time saves money.

I bought our 10 day non-expire park hopper tickets in 2005 for $375. came with 4 water park days too. Todays price is over $500 and doesn't come with the water park days. We still have 2 days left on these tickets so I have purchase another 10 non-expiring ticket. We should be good for another 8-9 years.

Wonder what the prices will be in 2022?

Can you add the Waterparks and more option to the 10 day no expiration tickets if you've already used some days?

I'm going to miss it!

We have left over 10 day NE + passes from early 2000's...kids are 28,26,and 21 and they still have a few kids days left. So it was really worth it for us! We don't stay on property as we have a different timeshare that makes going down 4-5 times a year very cheap for us. And we started getting PAP's several years ago. We are only 6-7 hours away...and very lucky!

But I would buy as many of the 10 day NE + passes as I could afford if I had the money...we have a big get together every Oct for MNSSHP and F&W and we have been getting as many of the US military tickets as we could for family and friends. They have gone up from 4 days with water parks and + at $99 to what is $149 now. Still a great deal....but all ticket prices are going up every year.

I bet some DISer has a spread sheet on how much each ticket costs have increased over the last 10-15 years...would love to see it and the break down on AP/PAPs and per day park entry cost and what all...

We bought 10 day NE w/waterparks when they were $1800 for our family of four. We used them for 3 trips and still have 6 days of waterpark / Disney Quest visits. I did have a spreadsheet at some point, but can't find it. I do know that at this point the days we have left are basically "free".

So, that one vacation we shelled out A LOT! But every trip since has been very affordable. It's worked well for us. A couple times we got free dining and had to buy 1 day tix. We upgraded them and used them on future trips. I considered that minimal cost as our dining cost and it's been a good deal. We may have some 1 day tix still laying around...hmmm... If we were lucky enough to get free dining in the future and it requires a 2 day ticket, it would be perfect for us!

We have found that 3 park days per trip for our family is ideal. However, we'd like to hop for one day to get in all 4 parks. So, I am thinking of buying us 10 day NE park hoppers. Then, we will need only base tickets for the next 10 years!

At current pricing a 3 day PH is $318.44.

A 2 day base + the cost of 1 day of a NE Hopper is: $187.44 + $65.60=$253.04

$65 x 4 people x 10 years = $2600 savings. And that is with no price increase.

$272.64 is the price for a 4 day base. So even if we did it that way and skipped the hopping, we'd still save about $20/day per person and wouldn't have to "waste" an extra day of our trip.

So, yes, I care, but not too much. I don't have to worry about it for a really long time and my kids will be grown by then. I realize I may only get 5 more trips out of my kids tickets and then turn the tickets over to them as they will be adults and on their own. I'm okay with that. And, you never know, they may still want to take Disney vacations with us through college. I can dream, right?

Ok. So that is a savings of $40 per trip per person if someone were traveling 5 trips. Not sure it would be worth it for us. I'm sure some would save, but that's not enough of a savings to tie up my money for what could be 10 years.

One thing about the numbers run in that scenario is that they don't take into account price increases. If those 5 trips take place over 5 years (or maybe even 10 years), the savings is going to be quite a bit more than originally quoted.

Does anyone know if you would be able to add on a no expiry to your tickets when you get there? If not I guess I'll have to make my vacation longer to use up all my days. I bought a 7 day pass in the hopes I would use 4 days now and the rest in a couple years.
Yes, but for best results with Magic Your Way tickets you should use the ticket a little first. For unused tickets purchased at a discount or prior to a price increase, the cost to upgrade may be greater.

Note that nonexpiring tickets used more than 13 days ago and tickets whose last entitlement* was used yesterday or before may no longer be modified.

Non-nonexpiring tickets used more than 13 days ago may no longer be used either.

* Theme park day or water fun visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter