No excursions?? Bad idea?

deputymama

Earning My Ears
So after giving it some thought and research, I really don't see a need to book any excursions on our itinerary.

Key West: We're not here long so I figure we can just explore on our own.

Castaway Cay: 5K & Beach Day

Nassau: Walk to Pirate Museum, maybe grab some lunch and then go back to the boat for some fun without the crowds.

Am I missing something? :confused3 Is there an excursion that I should really do?!

Atlantis looks cool but way too pricey IMO and MIL would not want to go there. Blue Lagoon looks cool too but isn't that essentially the same thing is Castaway Cay?

I don't think so, especially if this is not your 1st cruise....

We will be on a 3 night next August. We are probably going to do snorkeling in Nassau....I have thought about Atlantis but it just too expensive for a fancy water park.

In 2011 we were on 3 night but Hurricane Irene ruined it...no CC and we had not planned anything in Nassau. Next year, I am praying for better weather and hopefully we can at least get off the ship and see Nassau a little.

I like just walking around Key West too....lots to see...

Enjoy your cruise.:)

So after giving it some thought and research, I really don't see a need to book any excursions on our itinerary.

Key West: We're not here long so I figure we can just explore on our own.

Castaway Cay: 5K & Beach Day

Nassau: Walk to Pirate Museum, maybe grab some lunch and then go back to the boat for some fun without the crowds.

Am I missing something? :confused3 Is there an excursion that I should really do?!

Atlantis looks cool but way too pricey IMO and MIL would not want to go there. Blue Lagoon looks cool too but isn't that essentially the same thing is Castaway Cay?

Love the idea!

Your idea is perfect just the way it is. Sometimes making the SHIP your destination is the ideal relaxing vacation. The ship has so many thins to offer, it's hard to justify expensive excursions. ((I've sailed many many times and did all the excursions in the beginning) Now I just kick back on the ship, enjoy the spa, adult area and as many rides on the Aqauduck I can manage! I must say, I'm more rested and relaxed when I get back then when I was always rushing for an excursion! It's your vacation, spend it how you want!!!

I, too, think a no excursion cruise is a great idea. We have been on three Disney cruises and have never done an excursion. I find the excursions all too expensive and would rather spend money on souvenirs (love the DCL gift shops! Lol). We usually get a taxi tour in the ports of call and can get those for around $80 for 5 of us. We tour around the island we are on...get lots of information and history of the island...stops for photos and then back to the ship a couple of hours later. Get changed and hit the pool until dinner! Perfection!! :)

In Key West, The Key West Aquarium is a short walk from the ship and our kids like to go there. Other than that, there is nothing to say that you have to get off the ship at all...just scoop a chair poolside and catch a Disney movie on the big screen. :D

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I think your plan sounds perfectly fun and relaxing! :thumbsup2 We have been on some 7-night cruises with no excursions booked through DCL.

We've done 3 DCL cruises and have never booked an excursion (except for the WDW day that was included as part of our Bahamas cruise.) We enjoy getting off in the ports and just walking around and doing things within walking distance of the pier.

We've taken 4 Disney Cruises in the past and have never once taken an excursion. On 3 of our last cruises we went to Nassau and Castaway Cay as well. You should be fine in both places without an excursion, especially Castaway Cay (Bring snorkelling gear so that you don't have to pay to rent it). You'll be fine without any excursions; it seems like you've researched the ports enough to know your way around. I'd recommend printing out a map of Nassau so that you know how to get to everywhere by foot.

We're taking a 12 night Med cruise in a couple of days and are venturing out to every port on our own. It works for us because it makes the trips affordable enough that we can take more cruises regularly in the future :) Plus we don't like having to follow a big tour and being able to find our way around and explore on our own!

Have a great trip.

My cruise has the same itinerary. For Key West, since it's just the 2 of us we are going to do the trolley tour but not through DCL. Going through the company that runs the trolley tour you can get it cheaper and it will let you do hop on/hop off option. And in Nassau, we are doing just the one excursion. We like history so we are going to see the forts in Nassau. I think the OP has a good idea. Go on your own and at your own pace. Most important thing is having fun! ::yes::

We are cruising for the 1st time in February on the Dream to the Bahamas and are not doing any excursions... I wanna get the hang of cruising and enjoy my 1st time on a big boat!!

We went on our first Disney cruise in June. My son & I wanted to do Atlantis, but no one else wanted to. I couldn't justify that expense, so we just walked the main street and shopped. It was a tremendous hassle to get past all the cab drivers. A few of the women hassled us to come into their shops. We bought a few pieces of jewelry then had lunch at Senor Frogs. THAT is the ONLY reason we would get off the ship next time. We have decided that we will stay on board next time.

We did not excursions our first two 7-night cruises. The kids were 3 & 5 on the first and we just didn't want to commit to anything without knowing how it was going to go. We have since done ports without an excursion. We at least get off the ship the first time to walk around and pick up t-shirts & get some pictures. We try to do one excursion each cruise.

Great Plan!! If you decide to do something through DCL at one or more ports, there usually something you can sign up for.

Key West - we did this on our own. We did the Old Town Trolley - Hop On/Off. They were great. We rode the circuit and decided where else we wanted to go - most of the "touristy" part of the Key is easily walkable. We walked back to Kermits for Key Lime goodies. Then to the Little White House. Caught the trolley again and rode several blocks to the Hemingway house. Was a very good day. You can buy tickets for this online at a discounted price - they might even have the "passport" again that offers admissions to more attractions. Old Town Trolley has a discounted package for the Little White House and Hemingway along with the trolley ride - but you can only buy this from them at their kiosks. This was about all we had time for in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter