No Country For Old Men...

I wouldn't say among worst films ever, but maybe a 3 out of 10..... Right now I am watching There Will Be Blood, and I'm thinking that is way overrated at well.... maybe a 6 out of 10.

You have no class (LOL, just kidding).
I saw both movies but thought Blood should have gotten Best Picture. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
Old Men, while very good, was disturbing. But I really do think it had something to say about how this country seems to have gotten more violent.
On a side note, my brother was a deputy in the Keys sometime ago. He told that just before he left to come back to MI, things had gotten worse. He said it used to be when you caught some drug smugglers, they just gave up but now (which was back then, about 20 yrs ago), they'd shoot it out with the cops. So, in a way this movie does depict how it's changed.

Another vote from this household, we just either didtn get it or not sure what but definetely amongst my i wont recommend movies...lol.....

I don't know if I would say the worst movie ever, but DH and I didn't get why it won awards. We didn't think it was very good.

I LOVE the movie "No Country!" But I loved the book, too, and just about all Cormac McCarthy books.
Re: the ending--keep in the mind that the story is told from Tommy Lee character's POV...
I'll agree that the ending is unsettling, but that's what I like about the story. It was a bloodbath, though. Agree with another poster about excellent camera work/cinematography.
Also just watched "Juno." What a funny and cleverly-written film. But a little sad, too.

Very very close to replacing The Thin Red Line at the top of my "Worst Films Ever" list. DH got it from Netflix and we watched it last night. Precious hours of my life I'll never regain. how in the world did that waste of celluloid get nominated for any Academy Awards much les WIN them???

I was furious by the end of the movie. Furious for having wasted my time. What a stink bomb!

I couldn´t agree with you more! The best 10 minutes of the film were the 10 minutes I let myself sleep towards the end of the movie.

I LOVE the movie "No Country!" But I loved the book, too, and just about all Cormac McCarthy books.
Re: the ending--keep in the mind that the story is told from Tommy Lee character's POV...
I'll agree that the ending is unsettling, but that's what I like about the story. It was a bloodbath, though. Agree with another poster about excellent camera work/cinematography.
Also just watched "Juno." What a funny and cleverly-written film. But a little sad, too.

Ugh. I had to read "Blood Meridian" for a Lit class. I would horrify my mom by reading the most gruesome parts to her.

I liked it. I think I rated it 3 stars on Netflix. :)

This is too funny! I rented it for DH yesterday. I sat down w/ the laptop and watched very little. DH watched the entire movie and said he hated it. He said the ending was bad because you really don't know what happened.

Worst movie ever? Come now, have you never seen Chariots of Fire or Altered States?

I will agree that I'd place it in the top 10 worst movies ever.

I thought that the story could have been told in about a half hour but it beleagered on and on for entirely too long.

I agree with Juno. Watched it last night and even my DH didn't fall asleep during it, so he must have liked it, too.

This is too funny! I rented it for DH yesterday. I sat down w/ the laptop and watched very little. DH watched the entire movie and said he hated it. He said the ending was bad because you really don't know what happened.

My DH said the same thing, but I know the Cohen Brothers films, thier endings are a "liitle Off center.":confused3 I LOVED certain parts of the film, the store owner part, and the fact the "killer" had no mercy whatsoever!:scared:

when the movie was over the whole theater started laughing. They just realized they just threw away $$ watching this movie.

same here, i tried looking for a deeper meaning but not gonna find it inside my pea size brain :rotfl:

and what about Woody Harelson, I thought he was gonna be a big tough guy :confused3

and what about Woody Harelson, I thought he was gonna be a big tough guy :confused3

His character was pointless...a complete throwaway. Perhaps more detailed in the book, but waste of Woody's time in this one.

Somebody mentioned that the film was told from Tommy Lee's POV?? Aside from the vo in the very opening, there is NOTHING in the movie to suggest that.

Meh...different strokes and all. Glad someone somewhere liked it.

Somebody mentioned that the film was told from Tommy Lee's POV?? Aside from the vo in the very opening, there is NOTHING in the movie to suggest that.

That was me. :) Maybe I see it more 'cause I read the book first. Tommy Lee's character (Bell) offers bits of narration throughout--regarding his views on the changing nature of crime and his job/criminals etc. The ending didn't bother me (well, it did when I first read the book--and again, like others have said, because evil triumphs. There's no obvious justice here) because I knew what was coming.
I think a (reasonable) criticism of the movie is that it is so true to the book.

I hated it too. I hated "There Will be Blood" about the same amount. Another real stinker this year was "Bugs" with Ashley Judd.

I don't understand how the first two movies won Oscars either. I was so repulsed by both of them when watching. DH liked them both, go figure.

The part about "You MARRIED into this?" cracked me up. :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: But that's just my twisted sense of humor.

I loved the movie and as a Texan, saw it as a preview of things to come. Tommy Lee Jones' character was a sheriff of Old Texas and things were changing at a pace that was too rapid and scary to keep up with. He didn't even want to try. The drug smuggling, shootings, merciless killings and drug deals gone bad in the movie were just a taste of what we deal with on a constant basis nowadays. TLJ's character was watching the genesis of it and was horrified, helpless and overwhelmed. He longed for the certainty of the past.....A past that wasn't even that long ago, but that definitely was never coming back. He was living Chapter One.

So if you think the movie was violent and didn't make sense or was too farfetched, the scary part of that is....It just isn't that far off real life. But you'd have to multiply it many, many times over because at the time the movie was set, things were just beginning. :scared:

As for Javier Bardem, I thought he was one chilling killer. He became almost enraptured whenever he killed, as if he was entering some different plane of existence. His glassy-eyed look and the way he seemed to turn pale scared the bejesus out of me. :scared1:

I loved the movie and as a Texan, saw it as a preview of things to come.

Okay--that's really frightening! :scared1:

Tommy Lee Jones' character was a sheriff of Old Texas and things were changing at a pace that was too rapid and scary to keep up with. He didn't even want to try. The drug smuggling, shootings, merciless killings and drug deals gone bad in the movie were just a taste of what we deal with on a constant basis nowadays. TLJ's character was watching the genesis of it and was horrified, helpless and overwhelmed. He longed for the certainty of the past.....A past that wasn't even that long ago, but that definitely was never coming back. He was living Chapter One.

:thumbsup2 Totally agree.

As for Javier Bardem, I thought he was one chilling killer. He became almost enraptured whenever he killed, as if he was entering some different plane of existence. His glassy-eyed look and the way he seemed to turn pale scared the bejesus out of me. :scared1:

Yep--worse than Freddy Krueger/Jason/Michael etc. put together!

I really disliked it as well. I was hoping it would be better than it was, but being that I have a strong dislike for Cormac McCarthy's books, I had a feeling I would not be a fan of the movie.
I do have to say Javier Bardem was excellent in the movie though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter