• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No contract cell phones - which one is best?

eeyoreforever

DIS Veteran
I currently have Sprint but am wanting to change to a no contract phone and plan. I am looking at several right now but just can't make up my mind. If you use one could you tell me which one and if you're satisfied with it? I'm looking for a plan that includes talk, text, data. The ones I've been researching are Virgin Mobile, Straight Talk, Boost. At this point I'm leaning toward Virgin Mobile. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I had Virgin Mobile for almost a year. I paid $25 a month. It was great at first but then I wouldn't get any texts. I just switched to Cricket. So far no problems with them. Good Luck!

I've been a VM user for over 10 years; we have 5 phone accounts with them, and we still pay less than $600/yr. (Mine is the only smartphone with an unlimited monthly plan at the moment, the others are all grandfathered in regular phones that are charged by the minute, because they are the kids phones and a swapper that we use for emergencies.)

I don't know what the PP had go wrong, but texting works fine for us. VM uses the Sprint network, so you shouldn't notice a change in service areas if you go with them.

I have a couple of Virgin Mobile phones and have not had any problem with them. They work just like Android phones on any full contract plan.

We have a VM phone for my 14 yo, and it texts way too much. :lmao: We haven't had any problems and have had it for over a year.

I love love love t-mobile! I just switched to their no-contract $30 a month plan. Unlimited text, unlimited data, and 100 minutes a month (I don't use the phone talk much so that's more than enough for me). The also have other plans with more minutes if you need them.

No one could beat AT&T Android GoPhones for us. Will cost us $25/month for 2 because we don't live with the phone in our face 24/7. Wifey texts more than I, so she needed more texts, thus hers is $15 and mine is $10 per month.

Can't constantly have Pandora and such running on data non-stop because they are limited, but we don't go away from home and work much, so almost always are on wifi.

I really loved Virgin Mobile when I had it. If I got good reception where I live now, I'd go back.

I have Virgin Mobile and enjoy it, with a few caveats:

1. Yes it is owned by Sprint, but the coverage is NOT the same.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check-cell-phone-coverage

http://coverage.sprintpcs.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov

Look at the maps; there is a HUGE difference in coverage.

2. I generally get a poor signal in buildings.

3. The 3G data...honestly I don't even know if it works. Websites take forever to load, even when I have the 3G "icone" and five bars of service.

4. I have the Optimus V and it lags/freezes a lot.

That being said, I pay $25 a month so I will put up with the negatives.

My Mom is looking for one for talk and text and was thinking of the pay as you go one. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Free4life - the Optimus V is actually the one I was looking at. It seems to have pretty good reviews compared to some of the other phones, but I'm glad to know that you have problems with it. My daughter is looking at the Motorola Triumph but that one costs a little more than I'm wanting to spend.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Free4life - the Optimus V is actually the one I was looking at. It seems to have pretty good reviews compared to some of the other phones, but I'm glad to know that you have problems with it. My daughter is looking at the Motorola Triumph but that one costs a little more than I'm wanting to spend.

I'd like the Triumph as well but not willing to spend that much right now.

The Optimus is a good phone and overall I like it, but I've just noticed lately that it seems to lag quite a big. I don't know if that's due to a problem or the too many apps installed, but it does bug me somewhat. It's not a huge problem, but it can get annoying.

At the end of the day though, you just can't beat paying $25/$35 a month!

Pagepluscellular.com:thumbsup2
not as well known or advertised as the other pay as you go plans- it runs on the verizon network,which is hands down the most reliable-I pay 29.95 per month which gets me 3000 texts, 1200 talk minutes and 100 mb of data(I never use that)
the coverage is GREAT worked in the Grand Canyon,at the waterfalls in Yosemite,and in the middle of Death valley,in fact,it even works at my house! :thumbsup2

I'd like the Triumph as well but not willing to spend that much right now.

The Optimus is a good phone and overall I like it, but I've just noticed lately that it seems to lag quite a big. I don't know if that's due to a problem or the too many apps installed, but it does bug me somewhat. It's not a huge problem, but it can get annoying.

At the end of the day though, you just can't beat paying $25/$35 a month!

We have Virgin Mobile unlimited plan for 2 teenagers. Coverage isn't so great in our neck of the woods. They can only use the phone is certain rooms of the house. Sometimes they even have to go outside to get any bars.

Both the boys had (have) the Optimus and both have a lot of trouble with them. Mind you, these are boys that text alot and download a lot of apps and music. One phone only works on speaker. Not a big deal because he doesn't really talk a lot. The other one had to be replaced. First the battery wouldn't charge - bad internal connection and then the phone wouldn't turn on at all. Both phones were less than 6 months old.

I am sure most of these problems were due the phones being mistreated by teenagers.

We just purchased the LG Optimus Slider 2 weeks ago when it was on sale at Best Buy. I hope this one holds up better but I am not holding my breath.

Pagepluscellular.com:thumbsup2
not as well known or advertised as the other pay as you go plans- it runs on the verizon network,which is hands down the most reliable-I pay 29.95 per month which gets me 3000 texts, 1200 talk minutes and 100 mb of data(I never use that)
the coverage is GREAT worked in the Grand Canyon,at the waterfalls in Yosemite,and in the middle of Death valley,in fact,it even works at my house! :thumbsup2

I suspect it isn't as "well known" because of the lack of customer service. All the reviews I have read have been very mixed and negative in the customer service area (apparently, people that don't understand English and/or speak with a heavy accent).

I have had the Virgin Mobile Optimus V since last summer and overall have been happy with it. Only issue is it will sometimes freeze, but I suspect it has to do with the amount of data/pics I currently have stored on it. I have no problem typically with the 3G, not super fast loading, but fast enough for me. I rarely don't have a phone signal...I have noticed in the basemnet at work and elevator I have lost calls, but then so have co-workers with contract phones. Overall you can't beat the monthly price for what you get.

I suspect it isn't as "well known" because of the lack of customer service. All the reviews I have read have been very mixed and negative in the customer service area (apparently, people that don't understand English and/or speak with a heavy accent).

I think the customer service for most of these services is pretty awful. We have VM and Tracfone. I haven't had to call VM yet, but from everything I've read, it's the usual overseas call center hell.

And Tracfone is beyond dreadful if you have to call customer service. You can expect to spend hours of your life that you will never get back, repeat your story endlessly to 10 different people, get put on hold, get cut off, have to call back and start over, and then they will tell you they've done something to "fix" the problem, but it won't take effect until the following day. Except that it doesn't, and then you start over.

This info is all good for me, as well. Just got the happy, happy news that I can cancel my AT&T w/o penalty. In the last year they have made a mistake on every single request I have made of them & one of their mistakes cost me a job. (I have been unemployed for a year.) So, you can imagine that I'm pretty fed up with them by now.

So, whatever you do, I recommend steering very far clear of AT&T.

I have several phones on Page Plus and I cannot agree with the last statement. I have had to call customer service a few times. My experience is that you may be on hold for a few minutes until "the next available representative" will pick up but once connected to one I have found them pleasant and easy to understand. I've never felt that I was speaking to someone with an mailing address in New Delhi ;). Prepaid takes a little more effort on my part but I can accept this for a 70% reduction in my cell service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter