• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No clocks in the cabins on the Dream

chirurgeon

I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.
I like being able to look up and see the time instead of hunting for my phone or leaving my phone on the bed and making it light up to see the time in the middle of the night. Does the Wonder have clocks? Do I need to pack one especially for a two week repo cruise?

I like being able to look up and see the time instead of hunting for my phone or leaving my phone on the bed and making it light up to see the time in the middle of the night. Does the Wonder have clocks? Do I need to pack one especially for a two week repo cruise?
For the most part the Wonder does not have clocks in the room. You can request one, and if one is available you'll get it. One note, they aren't easy to manage. Many people feel the display is too bright. And, setting alarms, or using your iPod in it can be a journey to figure out.

I'd suggest bringing some sort of clock if you really want one.

Why did you title this about the Dream?

The wonder has clocks in the room but is very very bright. First I put a towel over it to block out the light but was still to bright so I unplugged it. Kept the wave phone by the night stand to see what time it is when I wake up.

Thanks. I was just on the Dream and will be on the Wonder in May.

We were just on the Wonder during the EBPC and there was no clock in the cabin. We asked for one. We also crossed two time zones so I had to reset the clock. There is a trick to turning off the light. I just double clicked on the top center and the light went off. On my previous cruise I didn't know to shut off the light so I put a towel over the clock. Ask your room attendant to show you how to turn off the light when sleeping.

Are there plugs by either the queen bed or the pull out on the Dream?

You could just turn on the TV, the channel that shows the ships position and weather has the current time on it.

We had a clock in our room on the Wonder in September. Didn't find it that bright (maybe because it was on my husbands side of the bed?)

on wonder last week. No clocks, but small table with outlets on both sides of the queen bed. No outlet by sofa bed that I could see. (inside cabin)

How odd that a bedroom on a cruise ship would NOT have a clock---

On our Fantasy trip a few weeks back our room (11002) had a clock that was also an IPAD Port, etc etc--almost impossible to set the correct time and as has been noted, so bright we had to put a towel over it so we could sleep.

I was on the Dream 2 weeks ago and mentioned to our room host that it was missing and wanted one to be put in the room. He told me that all of them were removed because the docking stations were not compatible with new phones. He didn't know when they would be replaced but at the time there were no room clocks available.

I wonder if my clock that sets time automatically will work.

If it's relying on a satellite signal, probably not. It would probably, if it did anything at all, try to set to whatever the "local" time is where it's located at the moment. And that may or may not be either ship's time or port time. It's best to have a basic clock that you set the time.

I was on the Dream 2 weeks ago and mentioned to our room host that it was missing and wanted one to be put in the room. He told me that all of them were removed because the docking stations were not compatible with new phones. He didn't know when they would be replaced but at the time there were no room clocks available.

I was on the Fantasy last month and noticed that the clocks were gone from the rooms. They used to have the digital clocks that were very bright, as someone else noted in this thread. The explanation given above seems to me to be nonsense: so what if the connector was the old 30-pin Apple connector and not compatible with newer iPhones - either type of connector is not compatible with any non-Apple device, and there's still the primary function of the alarm clock being, well, a clock that tells the time and functions as an alarm. IMHO, either that explanation is one of those "Disney lies" that they like to tell when they don't want to say what the real reason is, or it's something that the stateroom host just made up on their own.

If it's relying on a satellite signal, probably not. It would probably, if it did anything at all, try to set to whatever the "local" time is where it's located at the moment. And that may or may not be either ship's time or port time. It's best to have a basic clock that you set the time.

I'm not aware of any kind of clock that relies on a "satellite signal" to set itself, other than something that's based on GPS. Mobile phones that set their own time rely on the "time service" signal from the cellular provider, which is optional. The Cellular At Sea cellular service on board does not advertise a time, so your phone won't change time zones with the ship even if you have the phone on and not in airplane mode. A mobile phone may change time zones if it's not in airplane mode, locks onto a nearby land-based signal, and that provider advertises time service, but that time will be based on whatever the local time is at that land location, which may or may not be the same as the ship's time (usually it is).

Almost all stand-alone clocks that are sold in the US that can set themselves, whether they be plug-in or battery operated, rely on a terrestrial radio signal that the US government broadcasts from two locations: Colorado and Hawaii. The Colorado transmitter covers the entire continental US, and as such, cannot provide the notion of "local time" as the transmitter does not know what time zone the clock is in. So, such clocks rely on the user to configure what time zone they're in. So, if you had such a clock on board, and assuming it could receive the signal from Colorado, it would provide very precise minutes and seconds, but as to what hour it was, would still rely on the user to configure that manually.

If there is a clock in the room, we just end up covering it up at night due to how bright it is, so it never bothers me when they have been removed. We both wear watches for telling time. :)

As Super Dry so aptly stated--it's primarily a clock and an alarm..very simple.

Clocks that do both are easily available for a bit over 10 bucks--in bulk, probably a lot less.

No excuse for a bedroom not to have a clock.

I'm waiting to debark the Wonder right now. There were definitely clocks in both of our cabins. They are the electric square ones.

I'm waiting to debark the Wonder right now. There were definitely clocks in both of our cabins. They are the electric square ones.
Yes, that's what we've had on the Wonder on past cruises:
Clock wonder 2012 15021 100_6559.JPG

But our most recent cruise we didn't have one in the room. Asked the room host about it, and he said he could get one for us, if we wanted. But, in his opinion, they are not replacing clocks a they become unusable, and they all will be replaced in the future. Don't know how true that is.

As to the bright display - on the Dream & Fantasy (different clock) I couldn't figure out how to dim it, so wound up covering it with a washcloth and facing it toward the wall. The square clocks you can dim by pressing the "snooze" bar. There were (I think) 3 brightness levels and "off".

Just off the Dream this morning. We had an alarm clock, the standard 30-pin docking station. It was so bright that hubby ended up unplugging it halfway through the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter