• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No California love summer 2016...

kiapepito

DIS Veteran
Ugh... Just a 3 day from San Diego again in May.... We too have summer vacations...

Ugh... Just a 3 day from San Diego again in May.... We too have summer vacations...
DCL's focus on the west coast is primarily Alaska. That's where they are making money. The itineraries for the end of the Alaska season have not been announced, so there's a little hope that they may do what they are doing this year with a month worth of 3 & 5 night cruises when the Wonder repos back to San Diego.

Alaskan itineraries are far too popular for them to cut those short. It's possible that the Wonder will undergo a re-imagination starting next fall which would also cut down the opportunities for West Coast cruises.

They are popular but the port bookings for a while have indicated leaving earlier to do other things post Alaska. There will not be a major DryDock.

Alaskan itineraries are far too popular for them to cut those short. It's possible that the Wonder will undergo a re-imagination starting next fall which would also cut down the opportunities for West Coast cruises.
Would that be for fall itenaries?
I was just contemplating an Alaska cruise for next summer.

There is also a 5 night from San Diego to Vancouver, stopping in San Fran (like this year) that I'd book in a heartbeat if DS wasn't in school. Shows 5/18/16.

Heather

That's what I was thinking too. I really hope they bring back more itineraries back to California. We were on the inaugural cruise to Hawaii in 2012, and it was so nice to not have to fly anywhere to enjoy a Disney cruise.

Yes, Sad AGAIN! there is no love for us West Coasters :( If they sticked to 3-5 day cruises from Los Angeles or San Diego they would do fine. The BIGGEST issue with DCL on the West Coast is ABSOULTELY NO ADVERTISING!!! NONE! When they were doing Mexican Riviera in 2011/12 We did 2 of them and i had people that had no clue a ship was here and by the time they knew the wonder was back in the caribbean. Maybe one day???

Was hoping for at least a few weeks out here in 2016 - still hoping they may have a few more cruises in October 2016, after Alaska cruises are done.

:( we're on the west coast and would love to see a Mexican Riviera cruise! We're holding off doing Alaska for a few more years until our kids are a bit older; we'll only do it once and I don't think 4&6 year olds can truly appreciate Alaska ;-)

:( we're on the west coast and would love to see a Mexican Riviera cruise! We're holding off doing Alaska for a few more years until our kids are a bit older; we'll only do it once and I don't think 4&6 year olds can truly appreciate Alaska ;-)
Great point. Ours are the same age. I think we will wait a couple more years for Alaska but I really would love a Mexican riviera in the summer!

Those Mexican ports aren't safe right now. Although I'd love to see another round of those cruises, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Those Mexican ports aren't safe right now. Although I'd love to see another round of those cruises, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Which ones are deemed unsafe? Puerto Vallarta is beautiful, we were there last June and felt very safe. Cabo,although Hurricane Odile hit is hard, is now recovering quite well. I could see not stopping in Acapulco or perhaps even Mazatlan...

Our kids are 3 & 5. Wondering if they'd be ready for Alaska at 6 & 8. In the mean time, I'm thinking of booking the 5 night San diego to Vancouver in May & transferring to the 5 night Baja in October, if they offer it.

I have to agree with no advertising for the West Coast. We were on the repo in 2012 and 2013 in September and it was like night and day for those cruises. The one in 2012 was 6 nights and was maybe half full and the one in 2013 was 5 night and full. We found DCL stopped doing extras that were included in the first cruise (character meal, tea with characters, etc.) and the price was quite a bit more for a shorter cruise. Word got out after the first repo and it filled the next year.

What kind of "advertising" do you mean? Outside of an occasional one on the Travel Channel, it's not like the East Coast (at least the Northeast) is getting bombarded with advertising from DCL...

There is also a 5 night from San Diego to Vancouver, stopping in San Fran (like this year) that I'd book in a heartbeat if DS wasn't in school. Shows 5/18/16.

Heather

I wanted this sailing 2015 and now I see 2016 is the same. They sail 2 days before school lets out. So frustrating!! DD is in high school and has finals so we can't just leave. ggggrrrrr

What kind of "advertising" do you mean? Outside of an occasional one on the Travel Channel, it's not like the East Coast (at least the Northeast) is getting bombarded with advertising from DCL...

We have a lot of DCL commercials here (on ABC especially since Disney owns them). During the time when the Wonder was on the West Coast doing MR cruises, we had commercials for the Dream (which had just started sailing). They advertised 3 and 4 night sailings to the Bahamas. No mention whatsoever of the Wonder and the MR cruises. Same thing at Disneyland. Even the CMs working at DL didn't know there was a ship here. And the banners around the esplanade and at the DVC booths were for the Dream and FL specifically.

I live and work not to far from the Port of Los Angeles and no one that I talked to even knew there was a Disney ship here. Considering it isn't a full time thing (like PC), they should have spent a little money letting people in California know there was a Disney Ship in their own backyard. There is a huge fan base in CA, AZ, OR, etc (with over a million DL AP holders) and they could have easily run a generic commercial like they have now ("another fine day at sea") and add a blip at the end adding the west coast 7-night sailings to the MR. I do believe the dropped the ball on that one.

The ports on the MR cruises are the same ones they use now on the PC cruises (Cabo and PV). There are also 3 5-night sailings this October (that sold like crazy) that go to Cabo. So cruises to those ports are still happening. Just not the 7-night MR cruises :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter