No Autographs or Characters

Thanks for that... :( so kind.

I'm sure he was kidding. :goodvibes I love sarcasm and I'm sure that was a big dose of it. :thumbsup2

Lately, I've seen a lot of threads from people talking about how bizarre it is that people don't see things the same way, tour the same way, value the same experiences, etc. that they do. I find it interesting that people can't imagine a world with different ideas, experiences and priorities different from their own. I say viva variety! It's good for everyone that we are all different or we'd all be doing the same things, the same way at the same time. :grouphug::littleangel:

Just thinking on the character line thing again tho, if my kids would want to, you bet cher boots I'd do it. Last trip my son begged not to. SO. No biggie. But if I see Mike and Sully and Lightning McQueen and Mater again, I'll stand in line all by my lonesome. :) Well, for the last 2 I'd force them to do it for MOMMA. Because if MOMMA wants the pic, they're gonna do it by jove! ;)

I think my initial question may have been poorly asked or misunderstood... I fully understand that we all do things very differently. I didn't think my friend was crazy or wrong... that's not what I intended at all. I guess the biggest thing for my was that my friends daughter's talked about meeting the princesses for about 8 months... so I was more shocked that they didn't meet at least them. I was curious if it was common practice to go to the parks and not bother with characters... which is why I wanted to ask. I am glad I asked, as I have really enjoyed reading the responses. I like reading who various people would wait in line for and what ages some children did and didn't show interest in the characters... it's been great.

When we went for the one day DD wanted to see meet Mickey, Minnie and the princesses so we met them, but we certainly did search for anyone else, but I have no idea how she will be in November when we go. I enjoy seeing the characters in passing and DH only enjoy because DD get excited - so all three of us in our little family view the characters differently.

I think my initial question may have been poorly asked or misunderstood... I fully understand that we all do things very differently. I didn't think my friend was crazy or wrong... that's not what I intended at all. I guess the biggest thing for my was that my friends daughter's talked about meeting the princesses for about 8 months... so I was more shocked that they didn't meet at least them. I was curious if it was common practice to go to the parks and not bother with characters... which is why I wanted to ask. I am glad I asked, as I have really enjoyed reading the responses. I like reading who various people would wait in line for and what ages some children did and didn't show interest in the characters... it's been great.

When we went for the one day DD wanted to see meet Mickey, Minnie and the princesses so we met them, but we certainly did search for anyone else, but I have no idea how she will be in November when we go. I enjoy seeing the characters in passing and DH only enjoy because DD get excited - so all three of us in our little family view the characters differently.
No worries! :goodvibes
My post wasn't as much directed at you, the OP, as it was just an observation of the types of threads where people say "they can't imagine anything else" or like you did saying you hadn't heard of it before. That's different though from your above post where there is a bit more back-story and you're curious if people do. Yeah, some parents/people won't do it despite what the children/they want (which I find sad), but some parents also don't do it because it doens't interest their kids or them. You, the OP in no way insinuated it was wrong or bad not to. No worries. :thumbsup2

I always looked at character greetings as a way of keeping people off the lines of the things I'd rather do!

This was exactly my thought when I read the original post. I have always thought it was weird that so many on these boards get into "meeting" people wearing costumes and getting autographs from them. We did photos with some characters on a trip to DLR only to make a grandparent happy (said grandparent being more childlike than the child who posed for the pictures). In my opinion there is no more pointless activity at WDW than "meeting" characters.

But I'm so glad that Disney makes the characters available, because it keeps the people who like them out of our way. Hopefully the new Fantasyland meet and greet areas will really draw the crowds!

I'd avoid the characters if we could get away with it!

The last trip DH and I did together in 2003 before we had kids we never stopped for autographs or pictures as we had no kids with us, felt guilty taking up space in the line that we felt was aimed at kids, plus we were too busy seeing shows and riding rides :)

This trip my younger DD is terrified of characters, but my older DD6 has heard from friends about the whole character/autograph experience so I know we'll have to do some stops for them. If it were up to me though, I'd rather go on rides/shows! They are world class entertainment. We can meet some kid in a suit at home at local events :)

Like a lots of PPs, we have never gone out of our way to meet characters and definitely haven't collected autographs. I know to some people it's a huge part of going, but we don't know half the characters anyway (our first trip, ds5 promised his "girlfriend" that he would get a picture of him with a princess - we stumbled across one, he got his photo, and we had no idea who she was ! Had to look at the princess dolls in the store to compare hair and dresses to figure out who she was :rotfl: ! If we saw a very short line, we might jump in to get pictures, and we did a couple of meals, but otherwise, it seems like a huge waste of valuable time :)

So after you looked at the dolls, which princess did you find out you took the photo with?

we leaveat 4AM (YAY!), and we're planning on getting to Toontown and seeing some characters. Autographs are not a big deal, as DS knows it's a costume but is still enchanted enough (5 yo) to want to meet his favorites.

Two years ago we went with friends and they have a son same age as mine. My son loves characters, getting signatures, dancing and seeing them. So I had a 2 characters meal planned together. My son loves to meet/greet and get the signature and his friend could care less...he wouldn't even pose for a picture with the characters and his mom was very upset b/c my son knew the drill when each character comes to the table but her son would hide (our 2 boys was 3 years old at that time). My son is 5 and we are planning our next Disney trip and he said mommy make sure we have time to visit all his pals.

his mom was very upset b/c my son knew the drill when each character comes to the table but her son would hide

That's the kind of thing that bothers me---why would she be upset because her son was scared? :confused:

My DD hated the characters when she was small, she cried and said their heads were too big:rotfl:.

She didn't like Santa either and was happy to have "no presents from that scary man!"

She is now 11 and loves getting photo and autographs but not bothered if queue is too long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter