• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

No A/C at school next week.

You really can't postpone the start of a school year because it affects so many other things....teacher's contracts, sports, graduation, AP exams, College entrance exams(students need to be at a certain place in their classes to be prepared for them) and etc.....At least in Ohio you have to attend so many days of school to qualify for some state funding and for graduation. And there is no way that you could delay schools with no A/C while others in the district continue...think of the nightmare of shortening the holiday or spring break. Then parents would certainly be upset. Extending the day to make up for lost time still presents problems with afterschool activities, childcare, sports, transportation system, and those students with afterschool jobs.

So I guess the kids just have to grin and bear it just like the teachers do. In our school there is no A/C in the teachers lounge. A/C is in computer labs, media center and newly remodeled administration offices.

Ours doesn't have A/C. Try August, Sept. and May June heat in Baltimore with no A/C. The crappy thing is the schools in the money areas with the VOCAL parent associations have had A/C installed. Sqweaking wheels. All the newer schools being built have it. There is some stupid rule that the kids get out early if the outside temp is 90 before 11 am. Which is stupid, because it usually hits 90 at about 11:05 am. there is no rule about wht the temp should be inside to function. At an end of the year picnic last year a parent fainted from heat exaustion. Do you think they would close the school? Nah! When parents complain we get 2 stories. The first is that the schools think our kids "deserve and adaquete education and even in the heat they deserve to be learning" Hah! The principal heards them into the gym to watch movies in the heat while the teachers cool off in the airconditioned library and office. When you bring this up to prove they are not learning anything in the heat, they say that with so many parents working, if they closed ,many kids would be going to empty houses, or out on the street, so they think it is safer for everyone in the long run to keep them at school. So basically my kids are held hostage in unhealthy conditions because some parents are not responsible enough to have emergency plans in place. Of course, I have finished with trying to fight for what is right. I just go down and pull my kids out of school and very loudly vocalize that no one is going to keep my children in conditions like that.

Surprisingly many us of made it this far and had no a/c when we were in school.;) Kudos to us:thumbsup2

Our school doesn't have AC either, and my daughter's room is on the 3rd floor this year. There are 2 small windows that face south, so not a lot of breeze either!

They also can't wear tank tops, so she is going to bake up there! Hopefully it cools off a little bit before the 20th!

I guess I was lucky. I always had A/C. Even at the school my kids are going to. I just think that since the school has always had A/C they should let the parents know, so they can dress the kids for it. The windows at our school are not that big, because we always have had A/C. The good thing is the school is mainly"open concept" so for those kids it won't be so bad. But my kids are in the new part so it is closed class rooms. the 5th graders will be fine because they are in Trailers with air.

Now DS9 is positive he needs to wear Deo/Anti Pers to school;) Why can't we just start after Labor Day? I mean always. Folks in MI you can not start until after Labor Day , when do your kids get out of school?

Kae

My school doesn't have A/C and when I was in there this week to set up my classroom it was 92 degrees with the windows open in the room. My room is on the 3rd floor and faces the sun directly. September and May/June are horrible. I'm another person that gets horrible headaches from heat. This past year I brought my class ice pops almost every day for an afternoon snack because we needed something to cool us down. On some days it was cooler outside than inside our class. However, we are allowed a 10 minute recess outside so taking the kids outside is not an option. I feel bad for the kids because I know that when it's so hot that I don't feel like doing anything, they are miserable too.

My 2 oldest are in Jr. High with no air conditioning and honestly I haven't heard them yack about it much though they both pray for some of their classes to be in a relocatable because they ARE cooled. Our Elementary was just re-built 3 years ago and does have A/C but district policy requires it not be run unless or until that school goes to year round schedules.

I think the older I get the wussier I get when it comes to heat and tolerance of it but it doesn't seem to get to my kids much.

....here in Michigan the voters get to choose whether we get updates or not. And guess what they say? "I didn't have air-conditioning in school as a kid and don't remember being miserable. Kids today are just spoiled; they don't need it." :headache:

Surprisingly many us of made it this far and had no a/c when we were in school.;) Kudos to us:thumbsup2

;)

To the question about schools in Michigan: Our calendar is still being negotiated. We have the state-mandated start date of Sept. 4th, but don't know the dates for any of the vacations, etc. (I just found out MY start date this week.) Last year, we went until the middle of June, so I'm assuming that this year will be similar. There is one school district here that is experimenting next year with adding 27 minutes (I think) to every day. They will get out May 23rd. That sounds too early to me. It will be interesting to see if they repeat it the following year or if the school day will be too long for little ones.

I'd like to see the Friday after Memorial Day be the last day. If I had air-conditioning, it would be different. If the rooms are small and there are 30+ large middle-school or high-school bodies, it's very hot.

I think what a lot of people miss is that 85 degrees outside definitely does not mean 85 degrees inside. (Where's a little fainting smiley when you need one? :rotfl: )

My schools I went to didn't have A/C either. (I went to the same elem. school my kids go to) I remember it getting HOT but it wasn't unbearable. The difference between when I was a kid with no a/c and now with my kids is this:

1. the school was not as old and in disrepair so the WINDOWS ACTUALLY OPENED. The school is in desparate need of new windows and many dont open so the place is COOKING.

2. Because of recent school shooting- safety concerns etc. teachers are not allowed to prop doors open. Doors must remained closed and locked.

3. Again, because of law suits and safety concerns, teachers can not have floor fans in operation. (kid could stick their finger in one etc.) Fan must be mounted high on wall where no one can touch. Our school system can not afford to intall the electric wires needed nor can they afford to install the bracket systems. (We had floor fans when we were kids)

4. People actually parented their children when we were kids. If it was too hot to be in school, the school system actually closed and sent us home to our mothers who were actually home fo us, or made plans for someone to be there for us. Now the system remains open because so many working parents who don't have emergency plans for their kids complain of their inconvienence if the school sends their kids home early. They blame the school if there kid sits outside in the yard for hours waiting for them to get home from work. So the schools stay open because they are becomeing daycares and not schools.

5. The blinds (like the windows) are also in disrepair and many are broken or do not close. this creates the greenhouse effect with the window and doors that also don't open.

6. The school year was shorter. Because of ridiculous new rules on how many days the schools must be open, add in a harsh winter that uses up schools days and the school year has been extended in to the end of June in Balt. We never went to school past June 1 when I was a kid. We also never went back to school before Labor day, and my kids start over a week before Labor day. They are in school during hotter weeks than we were.

So because of these reasons I hate hearing people say "well, surprisingly we made it this far without a/c." It is not the same as when we were in school. The kids (in our school anyway) are now in far worse temps and conditions and I don't care what smug people say, I will take my kid out of those conditions even when the school system doesn't. So kudos to me.:thumbsup2

One of the buildings at my college doesn't have air conditioning. Their excuse is that it is too old because it was built in the 1950s. Amazingly enough, however, Morrison Hall, which was built in the 1800s, has air conditioning. I guess A/C is suddenly possible when we're talking about the building where the dean's office is.

So because of these reasons I hate hearing people say "well, surprisingly we made it this far without a/c." It is not the same as when we were in school.

:thumbsup2
Another differerence between schools now & when I went in the 70's is the added heat from the computers.

I have 5 computers in my classroom (they are on from 8:30am-3:30pm) & boy do they generate a lot of heat!!

One of the buildings at my college doesn't have air conditioning. Their excuse is that it is too old because it was built in the 1950s. Amazingly enough, however, Morrison Hall, which was built in the 1800s, has air conditioning. I guess A/C is suddenly possible when we're talking about the building where the dean's office is.

I really don't get it. It's not like the 70's when duct work needed to be installed etc. The materials they have today are small plastic pipes. I just don't get why it can't be done. Actually, our elementary school has the duct work in place! It was built in the early sixtys with the foundation laid for a/c to be added at a time when they had the money for it. 50 years later and the worst bureauacracy in the world and no a/c .

We never had air in school. DH and I didn't have air conditioning in our apartments for years and one of them was on the third floor (the top floor.) There are millions of people in the world who have never even felt air conditioning and some of them live in the hottest climates.

It sucks, but we all live through it. You will, too. :) Good luck and "think cool." ...because that always works...:rotfl:

What are going to do keep them home for the entire month of June or the first 3 weeks of September? None of our schools have AC, heck my DD's room was an internal room that didn't even have a window!!! Talk about hot.

I would say your DD must be in my class, an internal with no windows room, but we start Monday. They pull the air off the roof for ventilation as per OSHA regulations. So, whatever the temp is on the roof is the temp in my room.

Temps next week are:
Monday 98
Tuesday 93
Wednesday only 90.

Oh, did I mention we have no air conditioning?

I can hardly wait. The rest of August, September, and June are going to be a blast! :scared:

We have AC down here, in matter of fact, they let one of the area school's out early one daqy because they AC broke, because of our high temp's down here. . .

I lived in the heart of cajun county growing up and went to a school with no ac. We didnt turn lights on and every window and door in the school was open at all times, it was also shaded by about 50 Live oaks. It was built in 1826 as a private home, it had HUGE rooms and HIGH ceilings and very wide hallways, air circulated quite well. School was out by mid May, so it wasnt that bad.

If my child's school now had no air he would not be attending. Its a new school with no windows and doors have to be closed at all times. School doesnt let out here till early June. If he didnt pass out from heat exhaustion, he at least wouldnt learn anything lol.

WOW I can't believe there is so many schools without A/C that is still in operation.

Every school in our city have A/C in the class rooms. They was talking about today they my have delay school because of the heat.

If the school A/C broke down then there would not be school for that day. Then again we is Hamilton County Schools we close for anything. Don't mention snow in the forecast that is automatic school and work closing right there. Yes I said work to.

WOW I can't believe there is so many schools without A/C that is still in operation.

Every school in our city have A/C in the class rooms. They was talking about today they my have delay school because of the heat.

If the school A/C broke down then there would not be school for that day. Then again we is Hamilton County Schools we close for anything. Don't mention snow in the forecast that is automatic school and work closing right there. Yes I said work to.

You must be a Chattanooga resident

I can't believe some schools get air conditioning. Our schools here do not. And it gets really, really hot in June and September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter