NJ Supreme Court: Gays have same rights as Heterosexuals

I read the first few pages very quickly, but it seems that they left it up to the legislature to grant civil unions or same sex marriages...

nj.com said it's "yes to civil unions, no to marriage"

NewJersey said:
I read the first few pages very quickly, but it seems that they left it up to the legislature to grant civil unions or same sex marriages...

That's what I got out of it too!

Yeah wnbc is saying the legislature has to determine if civil unions or marriages will be the option.

It seems the court left itself some room for a further suit regarding whether any civil union system that is not called "marriage" would be constitutional. They say

Because this State has no experience with a civil union construct, the Court will not speculate that identical schemes offering equal rights and benefits would create a distinction that would offend Article I, Paragraph 1, and will not presume that a difference in name is of constitutional magnitude.

The language of "speculate" and "presume" is pretty weak. It's essentially like saying "I don't know what to say about this right now. Get back to me in a year."

Congrats. I find it funny how much the government is trying to regulate of our lives, while at the same time most people disagree with what the government is doing. Talk about NOT speaking for the people you govern...

Uncle Remus said:
Congratulations!
Maybe the rest of the country will catch up in next 20-40 years :goodvibes

It took until 2000 for Alabama to get rid of its ban on interracial marriages, so 40 years is about right.

Great news for the people of NJ. :thumbsup2

Peeps on the Left: "Yeahhhhh!!!!!"

Peeps on the Right: "You're all going to HE))!!"

Peeps in the Middle: "YEAHHHHH!!!!! We're all going to He))!"

magicmato said:
Congrats. I find it funny how much the government is trying to regulate of our lives, while at the same time most people disagree with what the government is doing. Talk about NOT speaking for the people you govern...

And yet some states have given their voters the chance to vote on similar issues and the majority said no... is that not speaking for the people they govern when the people they govern are given the chance to choose?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter