Nikon owners

kwitcherkicken99

Sleep keeps me pretty. Caffeine keeps me nice!
I need some help! I'm starting to look at replacing my Edsel aka D100.

Through B&H I'm seeing close prices between the D700 and D300s.

The 300s will do 7fps (which I really could use - been photographing a lot of youth baseball) where the 700 will do 5 fps.

The 700 will go up to 6400 ISO where the 300s is maxed at 3200.

Those are my biggest concerns really... the MP are pretty much dead even. I'm not worried about the overall weight of the camera. They both have dust control fighter whatsits with the camera body.

I need something that is going to last because I shoot A LOT! I've put well over 50,000 images through my D100 (I have killed my on camera flash - last year). I have a young family. My nephews are within 8 months in age. I travel. I shoot sports, weddings, senior photos, etc.

My wimpy 6MP D100 is getting close to being on its' last leg. I'm getting crazy dust on my sensor that I can't seem to blow out. It's been finicky in warm/cooler weather - my "excellent" 3fps averages 1.5 fps if it's below 70.

So what do you think? What do you like best about those models???

P.S. - please don't weigh in to try to convert me to another system... I've only got enough money to replace my camera body! I've invested too much into my lenses!!!

Wouldn't your biggest consideration be full frame vs. crop and whether your lenses are all compatible?

I need some help! I'm starting to look at replacing my Edsel aka D100.

Through B&H I'm seeing close prices between the D700 and D300s.

The 300s will do 7fps (which I really could use - been photographing a lot of youth baseball) where the 700 will do 5 fps.

The 700 will go up to 6400 ISO where the 300s is maxed at 3200.

Those are my biggest concerns really... the MP are pretty much dead even. I'm not worried about the overall weight of the camera. They both have dust control fighter whatsits with the camera body.

I need something that is going to last because I shoot A LOT! I've put well over 50,000 images through my D100 (I have killed my on camera flash - last year). I have a young family. My nephews are within 8 months in age. I travel. I shoot sports, weddings, senior photos, etc.

My wimpy 6MP D100 is getting close to being on its' last leg. I'm getting crazy dust on my sensor that I can't seem to blow out. It's been finicky in warm/cooler weather - my "excellent" 3fps averages 1.5 fps if it's below 70.

So what do you think? What do you like best about those models???

P.S. - please don't weigh in to try to convert me to another system... I've only got enough money to replace my camera body! I've invested too much into my lenses!!!

I think I would agree with VVFF in that your biggest concern would be the Full Frame Sensor (D700) or Crop Sensor (D300s) usability on your lenses. Both are great camera bodies and I think the differences are minor except one if FF and the other is crop. The D700 also has better low light but again that is the sensor doing the work. So if you would have a lot of DX lenses and did not want to replace them the D300s would be the choice. If you don't have a lot of DX I would probably go for D700 just because of the great low light performance. The only other factor would be video. D300s has it D700 doesn't. I have the older D300 and it is a great camera but would long for that D700 if I was not limited on the lenses. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you picked. Happy Shooting.

I'm already working with a crop sensor in my 100 - so there is no real difference to me there - it's just what I'm used to.

I could give a hoot about the video capabilities. I'll honestly probably never use it.

I'm worried the most about overall performance capabilities for shooting in sequence. All of my lenses are older, but I do have a DX flash. I'm working under limited means right now and I'm getting really worried my edsel will croak before summer's end.

While the D700 is rated at 3200 I have used one and shot at 12800 with good success. I have the D300 and love it but would buy a D700 yesterday given the money. To me there are major differences between them and the quality of the sensor between either and what you currently have would be amazing to you!

I'm already working with a crop sensor in my 100 - so there is no real difference to me there - it's just what I'm used to.

I could give a hoot about the video capabilities. I'll honestly probably never use it.

I'm worried the most about overall performance capabilities for shooting in sequence. All of my lenses are older, but I do have a DX flash. I'm working under limited means right now and I'm getting really worried my edsel will croak before summer's end.

I'm not sure you are following our questions...not all lenses are compatible with full frame. If you are using crop some of your lenses may not work on the D700. Just wanting to make sure you are aware of this.

The lens question is a very good one, especially if you are shooting sports. On the 300s you could potentially be taking advantage of the 1.5x crop factor (depending on which lenses you are using). If you are taking advantage of this, a 200mm lens will act like a 300mm lens on the D300s, but "only" a 200mm on the D700.

If you were to go with the D700, you might be disappointed that your current lens kit doesn't have as much reach as you anticipated. It might be helpful for you to list in detail which lenses you are using.

I am getting confused here. The D700 will accept just about any lens that Nikon has made in the last 40 years. If you put a DX lens on a D700 it will operate as a DX lens. and the camera will operate as a DX camera. I have put DX lens, 30 yr old manual focus lens and FX lens on a D700 and they all have worked perfectly.

I know that if I get a D700 I will want to replace my DX glass for FX glass but I think Gdad will confirm what I have said for me.

Yeah, what is a DX Flash?

DX flash is a digital capable flash. Handles better with the digital SLRs. I'm not sure if that is the standard now, but when I invested in my dSLR I needed a flash since my Q-Flash battery was toast. I could have either purchased a SB-80DX flash (which is what I bought), regular SB-80, or replaced my Quantum battery pack. Went for the DX flash - then again, that was almost 6 years ago.

FWIW, my lenses are older than dirt, so they are not DX lenses. My youngest lens is 9 years old. My 80-200mm is the old style, so it's much older than my 24-85 and fixed 105. Regardless of the crop/FF lenses, I'll make it work.

It sounds like I just need to look at 300s and forget the 700 until I hit the lottery and can afford an all new set-up. Having the "crop" (which I have always referred to as magnification) will get me a few extra feet - which I'm used to anyway. My 100 has a 1.5x magnification and I just deal with what I have - it's really not that big of a deal to me... I take what I have and make it work. I've got a really nice range of lenses that I can utilize. Would I like to have a wider lens?? Not sure... I'm really in love with my 24-85 - especially since it's aspherically corrected. It gets down what I need it to with my D100. I have never had an issue with getting what I need in my shot.

How is the performance on those two cameras?? I am hard on my gear. I guess it's going to come down to higher ISO vs. fps and I'm back at square 1.

Now I get it. SLR camera flashes were what we now refer to as high voltage. The voltage that fired the flash on digital cameras are now low voltage. Put a high voltage flash on a current DSLR and you will probably fry the camera.

The D700 and the D300 are ruggedly built cameras. They both have medal bodies and are as sturdy as your D100.

I also do want to once again clear up a real misconception about about DX. A DX 200 mm lens is not a 300mm lens. It crops the image to the size of a 300mm image but it does not increase the focal length of the lens.

I recently bought a D700.

If you have the money, I say go for it. Nothing beats full frame!

I also do want to once again clear up a real misconception about about DX. A DX 200 mm lens is not a 300mm lens. It crops the image to the size of a 300mm image but it does not increase the focal length of the lens.

::yes:: :thumbsup2 Daggone magnification!

Maybe if I was doing more architecture (which I :love:) I'd be more concerned about the FF capabilities of the 700. I'm fine with working with the increased appearance of the lens.

Can anyone else weigh in on the two different models? I read awhile ago that even after the 700 came out that people still preferred the 300??

I own a D300 and have borrowed a D700 for two trips. They are effectively the same size. They have the same feel in your hand. The sensor and ISO ratings on the D700 are far better than the D300. Other than that they are to me effectively the same. But that to many are major.

I will also say the D700 has a higher fps and it does it very well.

I own a D300 and have borrowed a D700 for two trips. They are effectively the same size. They have the same feel in your hand. The sensor and ISO ratings on the D700 are far better than the D300. Other than that they are to me effectively the same. But that to many are major.

I will also say the D700 has a higher fps and it does it very well.

Points very well taken! While I like the idea of the 300, the higher sensitivity is a major bonus selling point.

What is the fps on the 700??? Is it 7 or 5? I thought the 300 was 7fps where the 700 was 5??? Did I read the specs backward??

I used to have a D300 (not the 's' version) and now have a D700. The higher sensitivity of the D700 is very useful I've found. There is also something special about the pictures taken with the D700 that's hard to put my finger on.

It's a great camera and one I can't see getting rid of anytime in the future.

It's official... I just bought the 300s. Should be here sometime Friday! Oh what an upgrade from my D100! :)

Now I get it. SLR camera flashes were what we now refer to as high voltage. The voltage that fired the flash on digital cameras are now low voltage. Put a high voltage flash on a current DSLR and you will probably fry the camera.

I use a 12 year old SB-28 on my D50 and D90 and it works fine, just no TTL.

The "DX" flash moniker just means the flash will work with all of the latest metering modes the new digital cameras offer.

Wihtout a doubt go for the D700. It has a full frame sensor and that makes all the difference. Not only will you get less noise even at low-light conditions, you will also be able to maximize the use of prime lenses.

Seriously. Without a doubt. I would love a full frame sensor. Cropped sensors just lessen your capability as a photographer so much, in my opinion. mose especially cause i started out with film photography and I've really experienced the advantages of full frame

Wihtout a doubt go for the D700. It has a full frame sensor and that makes all the difference. Not only will you get less noise even at low-light conditions, you will also be able to maximize the use of prime lenses.

Seriously. Without a doubt. I would love a full frame sensor. Cropped sensors just lessen your capability as a photographer so much, in my opinion. mose especially cause i started out with film photography and I've really experienced the advantages of full frame
I've been shooting the "cropped" frame for the last 6 years and don't have any trouble. I'm fine with the magnification - really I am. ::yes::

I feel comfortable with my decision - kinda went with my gut. Hopefully my gut isn't the same as John Cusick's in High Fidelity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter