Nikon D90 "Err CHA" Help?!

wenrob

DIS Veteran
I've received this error twice (in a row), everything locks up and won't work. The only thing that will get rid of it is taking the battery out and putting it back in. I did a quick google search and the problem seems to range from memory card problem to fatal camera problem. Anyone know what the problem could be?
I've owned this camera 4days, well within the time to take it back. Am I better off doing that then trying to figure it out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've received this error twice (in a row), everything locks up and won't work. The only thing that will get rid of it is taking the battery out and putting it back in. I did a quick google search and the problem seems to range from memory card problem to fatal camera problem. Anyone know what the problem could be?
I've owned this camera 4days, well within the time to take it back. Am I better off doing that then trying to figure it out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried re-seating the memory card and/or using a different one? I would also suggest you call Nikon Service (800) 645-6689 and discuss it with them. Return and exchange might be a good move if you can't pin the issue down and resolve it quickly.

~Ed

DH suggested that I try a different memory card and so far I can't repeat the error so that may be it. It seems hard to slide the card in and out of the camera, almost like it sticks. I'm thinking I may have damaged the card pulling it in and out last night doing test shots. However the first time I got the error it was just a blinking error and the green light flashing which freaked me out and prompted this post, lol. Thank you for the help and the number I'm going to give them a call just in case.

That would freak me out, too, especially with a brand new camera (brand new model and new, out-of-the-box). I'd be curious what Big N has to say about it.

~Ed

That would freak me out, too, especially with a brand new camera (brand new model and new, out-of-the-box). I'd be curious what Big N has to say about it.

~Ed
Nikon was very helpful. Basically they told me that since I am within the return policy to exchange it for another copy, not to take any chances. So once I pick DD up from school this afternoon I'm going to go exchange it. I already talked to Best Buy and they said since removing the battery is the only way to get rid of the error it's probably the camera. I'm just so glad this didn't happen after 15 days! (the return policy is 14days)
Thanks again for you're help!

edited to add: The Nikon guy also told me I shouldn't have problems sliding the card in and out.

I think that getting a brand new copy was the way to go.

Nikon was very helpful. Basically they told me that since I am within the return policy to exchange it for another copy, not to take any chances.
edited to add: The Nikon guy also told me I shouldn't have problems sliding the card in and out.

Ive had this problem years back with a Nikon SLR film camera...I never figured out how to fix it either...

Happens once in a while when the aperture ring around your lens gets moved around. Try moving that around to see if the ERR goes away. :)

I have just had the same problem here in Australia. If you would like more details I will post.

Long story short I took my camera back to Photo Continental (the store I bought it from) and they replaced it outright (3 weeks after original purchase). They also replaced my memory card (Sandisk 8G - ex.III) and my 18-200VRII.

Hope all goes well for you guys.

YD.

Hi

Re: ERR message with flashing CHA on Nikon D90 (2 months old)

Got this error about 8 times in a row last night. I was at an outdoor party inside a tent with about 1000 other people, which meant there was a lot of humidity in the tent (I noticed when I took the lens cap off, the outside lense was steamed up).

Anyway, camerra locked up with ERR and flashing CHA, and the green memory card light was fully lit up. Only thing I could do was remove the battery and try again. I could usually get a few more shots off before it happened again.

So, obviously a bit panicky as had the camera for only 2 months (incidently, looks like the company I bought the camera from, A J Purdy in the UK, has gone into liquidation).

There is a generic message on the Nikon support page which says it may be a temporary malfunction.

I've now tried the camera again, taken over a 100 shots and cannot recreate the error. No obvious issues - like sticky memory card as one poster above has.

So, wondering if the humidity got to the camera or if it was literally a temporary glitch....

Any advice hugely appreciated.
AEM

The only time I ever got an err message was when I got a 50 mm and did not notice that the aperture ring was not locked down with that little switch. It happened to me taking pictures of the BLT models back in Oct. I freaked thinking I had a broken lens or camera.

I wrote Nikon Knowledge base and they explained to me that it was operator problems not the lens.

You did the right thing! Someone will get a great deal on a refurb once they fix it!

I received a similar error the 3rd day I had my D90. I took out the battery to fix. I've not been able to recreate the problem again and have taken hundreds of shots. I hope I won't regret not exchanging it but so far so good.

I've had the same thing and it happened at DW the first time. I was trying to shoot Spectromagic and it started then and kept happening. From what I can tell it's a memory card thing. If you watch when your getting the error/CHA it's most likely when you are shooting low light or several shots at once? At least that's my problem. If I give the memory card time to catch up, it goes away and is back to normal. Same thing if I switch out to a new memory card.
Without changing the battery, try to get the error, then if you get it, put in a new memory card and see if the CHA is gone with the new card.
A reallly fast, good quality card will probably fix it. I'll be interested in seeing if this helps you!

Has anyone had this problem again and tried putting in a different memory card? Checking to see if it worked for anyone else...

I just went on a Canada trip and I just started seeing this Err message. It happened with both of my SD cards and it happens often. I took it to a local camera store there and they told me it's a defect with the body and I'll need to exchange it. I hope that's not the case becaise I lose the receipt. :(

depending on where you bought it, they might be able to provide a duplicate receipt

I just went on a Canada trip and I just started seeing this Err message. It happened with both of my SD cards and it happens often. I took it to a local camera store there and they told me it's a defect with the body and I'll need to exchange it. I hope that's not the case becaise I lose the receipt. :(

Like Mickey88 said, def. try getting a dupicate receipt. That would make it easier to get the warranty work done. Did you register it with Nikon? I'd give them a call, too. The camera came out last fall so it is still under the 1 year warranty. Nikon is usually pretty good.

If anyone is still following this thread, it is now jan, 2011. I bought a new D90 in July and began having the same problem with freeze ups and the ERR CHA messages. It has been back to Ritz Camera repair now for the third time. The dealer refuses to replace this camera which I purchased in July, 2010. I began having the freeze up problem on my vacation in August, but by the time I got back home, it was past the "30 day return policy" window. Any help or advice??

"However the first time I got the error it was just a blinking error and the green light flashing which freaked me out"

I have also encountered that problem. Hey man, what did you do to fix it? Any ideas please.

--------------
Best makeup for you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter