• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nikon D3100 vs D3200?

bamamom

DIS Veteran
I'm looking to buy a new DSLR. I shot with a film nikon SLR for years. Our local electronics store has the d3100 bundle (camera, 2 lenses, 8 gb card, and case ) for $499 and the d3200 (camera, 2 lenses 16 gb card, and camera case) for $698
I wondering from the nikon users is the d3200 worth the $200 difference?

I will be using the camera for DD who is a Varisty cheerleader, DS graduation activities, and my own DD and DS photo shoots :goodvibes

Would love to hear from all that have either of these cameras!!

Thanks!!

I don't have first hand experience with these cameras, but the 3200 has a significantly better sensor. 24mp vs 14.... And not just megapixels. Dxomark rates it higher for noise and dynamic range.
Wifi compatibility may have value to you. And a much higher resolution LCD screen. Plus faster burst shooting -- 4 vs 3 fps.

Personally, I'd spend the little extra, mostly for the better sensor.

I don't have any information on the cameras you mentioned, but have some information that may help. DD and her BFF were on the Drill Team (HS dance team). To take good pics, I really needed a "faster" lens than the "kit lenses" that normally come with the camera. Also, at her awards presentations and graduation, I needed a lens/camera with very good low-light performance. The camera body may be sufficient, but you may need a different lens to get the shots you really want.

I don't have first hand experience with these cameras, but the 3200 has a significantly better sensor. 24mp vs 14.... And not just megapixels. Dxomark rates it higher for noise and dynamic range.
Wifi compatibility may have value to you. And a much higher resolution LCD screen. Plus faster burst shooting -- 4 vs 3 fps.

Personally, I'd spend the little extra, mostly for the better sensor.

+1
Although if you can get a D5100 for the same price or less, it might be a tad better for you..(high ISO for indoor sports)
Indoor action in a gym (photographically, all gyms have terribly dim lighting) is basically the most technically demanding types of photography...fast AF , fast glass, high ISO quality are why pro need to spend thousands to get their here at shots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter